Question on Walkera App Support

Discussion in 'Walkera Voyager 4' started by firstlily, Nov 5, 2020.

1. firstlily

firstlily New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    For those of you with a Voyager 4, I'm considering the purchase, but have been told that I should avoid the V4 because the phone/tablet app is not being updated. For me, as long as it doesn't crash and has no major bugs, I don't really need an update. For those of you who own this quad, have you noticed any kind of need for Walkera to update or upgrade the phone/tablet app, or is it just fine and functions as it is?

Any other input for my decision?

Thanks!

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +577 / 16
    Walkera do not support the Consumer Drones any more. Even when they did they only released up-dates for a short time (couple of Months) after release and only if there were serious problems.

So not much different for the V4. It you want to buy one and not concerned about support from the Vendor then go ahead it will be no different from what we have all experienced for years.

3. William McClendon

William McClendon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi all

New user here. I have a Voyager 4 that is in mint condition that I got 2nd hand. I know this is an old thread but you were wise to avoid this model..the "Flying Telescope". My experience flying this beast has been great. Very stable, and with the multiple flight modes, very versatile. It has good range but I have not tried the 4G..and probably wont.

However, you will be hard pressed to find parts..even now. The app support is pretty much non existent with the only copy I have being on an Ipad mini thats paired with the controller. I have multiple Android apk's for the Voyager but have yet to try them out in flight. Besides the quick start documentation, there is nothing...at least compared to other high end gear like Yuneec etc.

I see a USB port on the F8W controller but an mot familiar with the tools to poke around...is there any safe way to explore this controller? From where I sit, if the controller craps out im left with a 3250g paper weight.

Any assistance or suggestions from anyone here would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
    Bill

4. bjr981s

Ratings:
    +577 / 16
    I would recommend that you don't try anything untoward. If you break anything it will be unrecoverable.

The chance of damaging the controller is too great and it would not be of any value trying to get inside.

5. William McClendon

William McClendon New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks very much for your level headed response. Without taking too much of anyone's time is there a possibility of using a different xmitter/controller with this gear?

Thanks again
    Bill

6. bjr981s

Ratings:
    +577 / 16
    Not really. Its like the DJI controllers. The controller uses a split 2.4Ghz and 5.8 Ghz in the wifi bands with a proprietary protocol. Even the Older Walkera F12E F12 etc radios will not work with it.

Also the Apps for Walkera have been removed from the App store. I am surprised that you still have access to an iOS app. I guess you have not updated the device for some time.

On all my devices the Walkera apps come up as unsupported and the "Do you want to Delete" comments.

Apps are still available for Android but will depend on what version of android you are using.