What's the correct Scout Parameter setting for Compass Learning

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by chase, Apr 21, 2016.

1. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    In looking over the firmware update included parameter file in Mission Planner, I noticed Compass Learning is set to (0) disable. Enable setting is (1).

On the TASview site, dated 2014, he recommends enabling it. However, that's pre v1.1 firmware update and parameter update released Nov 2015.

And there's no explanation as to exactly what this does or what compass learning is.

I suspect what it does but want to be sure before changing it.

What exactly is "compass learning" and should it still be enabled since the v1.1 firmware and parameter update?

thanx,
    - chase -

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
  2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    Compass learning in APM allows the compass to fine tune continually. For APM vanilla based FCs.

APM Settings are not all implemented in the APM versions of Walkera flight controllers.

Compass learning happens on all Walkera APM, and Multiwii FC.s This is regardless of the vanilla code settings. This is a Firmware high level override.

3. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanx Brian,

Good info.

In attempting to try the GCS, I checked parameters in there just now, which it loaded into the GCS despite having an issue completing the bind, (see other post).

In that, it shows Compass Learning set to (1) enabled.

In MP... it shows it disabled.

I haven't checked to see what the TX has it set to, or if I can see it there yet.

Which is the Master parameter file it goes by?

I say that because I changed the battery warning to 21.6v in the TX from 21.4. It works fine.

In the GCS, when checking battery settings, it shows it at 21.4. This has me a little confused as I thought this charge would have been saved to the Scout Parameter file. Not just to the TX.

Are they independent of each other for this setting and, like wise the compass learning and calibration?

I ask, because of the previously stated, but also, I did the compass calibration via the TX.

When going into the GCS it states if this is the first time using Auto something something... can't remember the exact wording, to do a compass calibration first.

I would think that having already completed the calibration despite being done via TX all's good. But seeing the parameter differences now between MP, GCS, and battery setting.. has me wondering.

Can you confirm either way?

Is it possible I did something wrong when I set the TX by not having it bound to the the Scout when I made the battery warning change?

A blanket question - should you bind the TX to the Scout for all changes in the TX first? Or can some changes to the TX settings be made without binding?

Sorry for all the questions, I just seem to be running into more and more issues since replacing the servo motors. I'm trying to tighten everything up before taking her out for a real flight.

I'm sure you understand. I don't want to find out, out in the field or mid flight I missed something simple, or should have done it this way or that or worse...

Double checking now well... as they say, if it doesn't work on the bench, it's not working anywhere else that's for sure.

- chase -

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    The Scout can be sold with TX or just BT Ground Station. The Warning is just that. Its if you have not done a calibration then you must do one.

There is battery warning level in the TX. And in the Scout APM settings and in GCS.

The TX warning is a different parameter stored only in the radio and is used in the TX only to generate an alarm.

The Settings in GCS set the low battery warning behaviour of the Scout.

The settings in MP may or may not do anything. If these settings are inconsistent between GCS and MP then the MP settings are not being used and the real setting data is stored elsewhere and used by the Walkera non Standard APM FW.

Cheers