Walkera scout X4

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by tfleming, May 2, 2016.

1. tfleming

tfleming New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have a brand new x4 that bounced on landing and came down upside down. This fried the speed control board, which I replaced and it still isn't working. Does anyone know of a service center? I am on the East coast, just outside of DC. This unit doesn't even have 5 minutes of flight time. Patrick Le from Digitonic (purchased from) in CA won't return my phone call, so I am awaiting an upcoming nearby trip in a few weeks for a face to face. Until then I would like to get this unit replaced, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

2. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    The ESC doesn't have 5 minutes of flight time or the Scout doesn't?

You're trying to get the X4 replaced or the ESC you bought replaced?

Do the rest of the motors turn? 3 work/1 doesn't or are they all not turning?

Service centers on the East Coast, generally you won't find brand specific service centers. Where they only work on one brand. Not saying they're not out there, but generally if they work on one, they work on several brands. As well many do custom builds.

As a suggestion, I'm sure if you ask around at who works on quads locally in your area, . you'll find someone that also might work on Walkera birds as well.

Worth a shot anyway.

3. tfleming

tfleming New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The ESC and the scout are brand new; no more then 5 minutes flight time. The unit was purchased this January. Really thinking that I should have went with a more common product.

I would like to get anything that I need repair so that I could enjoy this thing.

Two of the motors wouldn't turn, but it appeared that only one board was burnt. I replaced that ESC and now at least the unit powers up but nothing happens.

I have called two services shops today but neither said that they do repairs on Walkera, thus the reason for my post and hopefully finding someone on here with some intel.

Still keeping my fingers crossed before I give up.

4. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Sounds like it was upside down for a bit before you cut the throttle.

It's hard to diagnose online.
    Have you tested the motors to make sure they're good?

Try looking for custom builders of quads.
    They'll at least be able to diagnose what's wrong if you aren't able to. Or at least narrow it down for you.

Then you can order parts you need pretty easily.

Since you installed the one ESC, obviously you know how to solder. The rest is pretty easy.

It's not a matter of popularity really, it's the national distributor of all the brands dictating who carries what by dropping brands or lines of product.

DJI was dropped two or three weeks ago.
    Walkera around 8 months ago
    Align a year ago

And so on... As hobbiest, as far as local is concerned, we're pretty much at the mercy of the major distributors.

They drop lines as fast as we can buy them it seems.

It's a crap shoot...

You got a good bird... you just need to put her back together.

5. tfleming

tfleming New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the information!!!

It actually wasn't upside down for long (only a couple seconds, which surprises me).

My soldering skills might be suspect as well. I will look into the motors to see if that is the problem. I am just concerned that I will spend a lot of time and money and still not get to the root of the problem. Almost would rather put it in someone else's hand to be safe to be sure that it gets repaired correctly. The biggest let down is not getting the support or at least a return phone call from the company that sold it to me.

Thanks for the words of encouragement, you have at least 'pumped' me up for a few more days of fight.

6. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hmm, I've flipped mine with no ill effects. But I saw it coming and chopped the throttle and disarmed the motors.

Check both the input and output of the ESC's to make sure you're getting power to and from.

Yeah, make sure you don't get a cold joint. You don't want it to fail in flight.

RTF's have a huge downside when it comes to local.

I have Align, Exceed birds. Local RC shops it seemed that's all they had. Pushed the Heck out of the products. A year later, no parts for Align, Exceed the same. Special order only, if they can get them.

Even the paint I use is now special order only...

You look at how many Align, Exceed, Walkera, DJI, were sold... the Gremlin! Dropped... and when the distributor drops them, the local shops dump stock on ebay. And we, the end user of all these birds are left with nothing to fix our $300 to $1,000 on up to $4,000 quads and Heli's.

For me, to buy Walkera locally, parts or otherwise, I found one little shop way south and it's a 5-6 hr trip both ways.

Align... a 3-4hr trip both ways North.

I feel empathy for the Yuneec pilots... they get hit with a double whammy. The bird won't arm half the time due to installed restrictions, and if they crash it, no one carries parts.

Same with Parrot as far as parts... good luck there locally now.

And yeah, I've voiced my rant to the RC shops. Every one of them. I think every employee and Manager within 100 miles has heard my complaint concerning this. Lol

I made no bones or question about it that I'm not liking it!

Hobby King... great place for parts. Amazon another. Hobby Flip a good source as well as others.

So don't worry, you can get the parts... half the time you just can't get them locally.

If you need more help, just post, the guys here will do their best to walk you through it.

You'll be flying that bird again in no time! :D

• Agree Agree x 1