Walkera Scout Improvement Program.

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by bjr981s, Nov 24, 2015.

1. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    btw the plastic sheet I put in the bay bottom does the job in preventing any snagging of the LiPo packs. I believe that even if there is no 'swelling' of the pack the case struts can catch on the rough bottom of the bay.

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 24, 2018
  2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +429 / 13
    Top of the line, it is not. But it is a good charger. Top of the line is Graupner.

Polaron EX 1400W 8S 3" Color and Touch TFT (Red) | RC Charger | Graupner USA

When you set the charge current you are setting the maximum charge current. The current will taper off depending on the level of charge. As the % charge increase the current decreases. If this does not happen you battery is toast. This is not a limit applied by anyone. Its the smart charger doing what its programmed to do at that point in time in the charge cycle.

Do not charge these packs at 1 C. They are only 10C packs and 1C is too great for them. The must be limited to a 3 amp charge max.

My packs are all flat.

• I never charge above 3 Amps.
    • Never discharge below 3.7V per cell
    • Raise them to 3.85V ASAP after using.
    • Never leave them fully charged for more than a day.
    • Keep them at 3.85V per cell at all other times.
    3.85 is the Storage voltage I use on my Chargers. You will find that after the storage charge they will be approx. 3.8V per cell.

3. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Well if Graupner is your preference that's fine. It certainly has a lot of 'horsepower'. State-of-the-art might have been a better term I suppose. But as far as features and firmware goes it's not any better. The SkyRC Q200 has 4 charging ports and a USB-to-PC and Bluetooth to Smartphone connection also, which is pretty nice to keep track of your pack info otg. I grew up in Germany into my late 20's and was not that much into RC then, but Graupner was considered a 'Toy store' then lol, overpriced and I never thought much of it and about it. Things might have changed for the better for them. But all the tech is made in China or Asia now anyway and Graupner is certainly not an exception and certainly not in the realm with Siemens, lol.
    I am aware of all the tech and handling details of rechargeable batteries, incl. LiPos, given my lifelong exposure as an electrical engineer and scientist (retired). My main concern is to get inside information on possible design flaws and quirks and remedies for them. I like to compare my observations with others and exchange useful information on this and other venues. So any personal observations and Eureka moments, even minor details, please share as much as you like. Very welcome.

Cheers

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +429 / 13
    I have a lot of SkyRC products. They are a reasonable brand I like their dual voltage ESCs for 3D helicopters. Have a look at the RadioLink hybrid chargers. They are very good at balancing your batteries during the charge process particularly for older batteries. I don't know if the SkyRCs do that. Also both them and the Graupner do low voltage cell recovery / conditioning.

Have a look at the Graupner Radios like the MZ 32 and the telemetry ESCs. The Top RC radios are Futaba, Jeti, Graupner, as the top tier then Spektrum, Frsky. etc.

I gave away my 4 Channel chargers. You could only change small capacity batteries with them a they didn't have the power to charge 4 reasonable batteries at the same time.

Also I have a lot of 8S batteries for my ducted fan jets. They need 600-800W per batty to charge so the 1400 Watt 8S is a must for me.

I was never a scientist but I am an Electrical Engineer or at least was. :):(

Have a look at how Hybrid chargers work. The issue with Standard smart chargers is that they charge the cells via the output leads and drain the cells for balancing via the balance leads. This means that a battery that has an abnormally low cell voltage at the start of the charge ends up with full 4.2V cells and still one low cell that wont balance as the charger cant drain the full cells as fast as it charges via the output leads. So the balance takes a long, long time. LiPo cells do not like being trickle charged and this happens while the balance is being attempted. This can damage the high voltage cells and will cause battery swelling. Important to have the charge time Timeout set correctly on the smart charger to prevent excess damage.

A hybrid charger charges via the output leads and drains via the Balance leads until 1 cell reaches 4.2V it then completes the charge via individual charge systems per cell with appropriate conditioning via the balance leads. They have settings for the main lead current and also for the balance lead current.

I would consider "state the art" to include Cell Conditioning on low voltage cells and hybrid charging.

Cheers Brian

p.s. Had a lot to do with Siemens Halske back in my engineering days. ;)
    I do have a penchant for Deutschland engineering even if it gets manufactured in China. (Like just about everything these days):D