Walkera Runner 250 Pro Review Q&A

Discussion in 'Walkera Runner 250 Pro' started by bjr981s, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Skymonkey85

Skymonkey85 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi everyone. I'm new here and new to drones. I have many years rc experience with cars boats and bikes but never anything in the sky. So I thought I would give it a try. At the start of Dec I decided to purchase a walkera runner 250 basic just to see how I went. Well..... it was very short lived! First flight I started to get a little bit cockey, took a nose dive and snapped it in half. No biggie the parts are priced reasonably so I repaired it and could not wait to fly again! I caught the bug. Myself, wife and the two kids traveled down to Melbourne for Christmas. Naturally I took the drone to get some flying time. Second flight went really well. The father in law suggests we take it to the footy oval. No dramas let's do it. well.. 5mins in he asked how high it could go. I showed him.. up at around prob 100m the wind picked up and started to drift it away.. we could still see it but control was getting tricky. After another 5mins of trying to bring it back I knew the battery wasn't going to last much longer.. it drifted over some massive transmission lines which didn't help. Then it dropped.. never to be seen again! My heart sank. We knocked doors in the area but no luck. So I thought. New year new quad.. The 250pro it was, gps, flight stability, rth, what more could I need! well it hasn't been so great. I've owned it a week now and still haven't flown it. It seems to bind ok. All lights go out. I've done the compass calibration, seemed to be ok, I've done the dtick calibration and It said complete. But I just can't seem to get the throttle to work properly. Up to 50% it doesn't do much. I click it up to roughly 62% and take my finger off but it seems to just climb up to full throttle on it's own. What could I be doing wrong? I've been reading the post on here fo the last month and it seems you guys are the masters so I thought I'd ask the question. And guidance would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Skymonkey85

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +277 / 9
    The throttle has been synced with the GPS centre position. So it does not behave like a non GPS drone in manual mode.

It just takes some practice. This is pretty normal for altitude hold and GPS multirotors.

This was done so you can switch between Manual and GPS flight without it falling or ascending like the Runner Advanced.

It does this due to the new barometer hold algorithms that hold the model, at level at 50% throttle.

Your old 250 did not have a barometer.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skymonkey85

Skymonkey85 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Ok thanks

I guess I will just have to man up, put some props on and give it a fly. I was just a bit worried that's all. After loosing one I didn't want this one to just take off. I will study the gps a little more as I'm still a little unsure how and when to use it then I will take her out for a maiden flight. I will let you guys know how I go.

Thanks

skymonkey85

4. Blackroadster

Blackroadster Active Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0
    Hello Brian, I appreciate the inter action. I don't have any problems with Tx programming. My issues are currently my (personal) PC slung a hard drive and I need to replace that before I can re-do firmware on anything or if any Pro up dates become available, I'm still shopping for a replacement. I had a teira Q of memory on a seagate back-up, so other than that, I can't chance using one of our company computers, especially Chinese. I'm a Book Publisher currently, so extra security is neccesay. We can't survive our data base being hacked.
    That out of the way, I can reprogram the Tx in a couple minutes. I was going to buy another UP02 tool, but previusly never needed it. I sold the one I had for 30.00, that was a mistake!
    OK, I'm like you, it stays in manual 99.9 percent of the time, so I always bring it in as soon as its 30 feet or more away in manual on those very rare occasions I use the GPS or RTH.
    Brian, I believe as I continue testing, the Mrs stepped out and I hovered inside, set down, I let it self disarm except when I powered up on the ground then immediate shut it down whereby it shut down stat! I conclude the static vs flying disarm shows it to have very precise instrumentation. It would certainly explain why it does the excelleration upside down under any circumstance of disarming. Take the props off and with your PRO upside down, arm and then disarm and you should be able to reproduce the need for the kill switch. Thanks and Happy Flying!
    Chuck

5. Vintrip68

Vintrip68 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Awaiting My Walkera Runner 250Pro
    Let me start by saying that this appears to be a great site and great source of information regrading the Runner 250Pro. I'm new to this class of drone but have taken a liking to the Runner despite reading a lot of bad reviews and negative experiences from users of the drone. It wasn't until I came across this site and in particular reading bjr 981s posts along with speaking to HobbyGo in Melbourne that I have been confident enough to place an order. Having viewed most of the posts on the 250pro on this site I think that I will avoid changing any of the factory settings and look forward to learning more about 250pro

• Like Like x 1
  6. maxybear

maxybear Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
  7. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +277 / 9
  8. windmill

windmill Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I'm all in! I ordered the Pro yesterday and I'm really looking forward to it. A bit of an update: I last told Runner Advanced forum folks Back in August I'd be awol for a while due to my home being flooded in the big flood here in Louisiana. I am still not back in my home although it is being repaired. Myself And family are well-it gets old not being in your own bed for so long. But we'll make it through. Anyway I need some fun as it's been some time since I last had some; hence, ordering a fine new Walkera drone. I'm ready that's for certain! I would like to know if the update procedure has been improved from the procedure used in the advanced?

9. Thedekay

Thedekay New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone. I'm a fresh owner of the runner 250 pro and I only have a basic understanding of drones. I just got the pro from the official walkera website in the full fpv edition with the Devo 7 and the Goggle4. I have carefully read the Quick Starter Guide and I have looked through this Forum for additional information. But it seems like can't get it right on the first couples tries. I have put a fully Charged battery in the Pro, turned on the controller an plugged in the battery 1-2 seconds later, the drone responded. It gave a beeping sound, both rear LEDs did do quick flash, an the props did a quick flick, there were again 2 beeping sounds from the drone, and then it went silent. 5 seconds later, the controller made a beeping sound too, and then nothing more happends. I have waited 10 minute, and still no change, so I did restarted the process again and again, no change. I have read in the Manuel on page 8 that when i plug the battery in the drone, the left LED should flash quickly and when it stops, the IMU ist started. There is no constant quick flashing when I plug in the battery. But the odd thing is that i can actuelly arm the drone an fly it, but it has a ceratin drift to the right, so i started a calibration process. I can enter the calibration ( so the left LED is flashing quickly), but when i put the drone on the ground and start to rotate it, the process does not seem do work, as the right LED is not brighting as mentionned in the Manuel. So my guess is that as the IMU is not booting correctly i can not complet the calibration, as there no IMU to register the needed rotation. But i have no idear how to fix that, and maybe that not eaven the IMU causing problems. Is there any advise somebody could give or help my to solve my problem?

I hope somebodey is can help me because I'm eager to fly this damm thing.

Thanks and happy flying!

10. Skymonkey85

Skymonkey85 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Just a little up date.

I took your word and went for a fly! And it was awesome! It's a little bit hot today but I'm hoping I can get out again tomorrow. Also my new fx marvel vision goggles arrived today so I'm going full fpv to see how I go.
    Thanks again for the advise.

Happy new year & happy flying

Skymonkey85

• Like Like x 1