Walkera Runner 250 Pro Review Q&A

Discussion in 'Walkera Runner 250 Pro' started by bjr981s, Dec 8, 2016.

1. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +307 / 10
    This thread is a parallel Thread to my review of the Walker Runner 250 Pro.

The 250 Pro is a significant Milestone for Walkera and ushers in a new level of Technology Capability.

So rather than do a quick review and Flight test I want to do a Lifetime of use for the model.

• Starting from the first getting it out of the box
    • to flying it the first time,
    • to regular flights and leveraging the new technology.
    • to doing the first FW update
    • getting the best out of there radio and model and camera etc.
    • And god forbid repairing after the first blooper.

A real long term commitment to the model over its lifetime.

I will lock this thread until I post the first part of the review and then I will unlock it. for Q and A. That will keep the review clean and precise.

Both will be stickies and moved to the runner 250 Pro Forum once it is created.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  2. Blackroadster

Blackroadster Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0

I think the video thread redirected me here, not sure, but I just watched the Hoover Files and hands down Excellent. I must say I have some great hoover video of the 250R just like that nearly hands off, but your Pro wins hands down fighting an air conditioner which you can clearly see had little or no affect on the PRO!!
    Bully, I say! Do you think your going to crash it soon and give us a review? I'm not serious of course, however, it is something soon enough to be discussed - Gentlemen Start your Engines.
    Loved the video and how did you train that cat? I have been guading inside for 3 years and I inherited a young trust fund cat years back and it thinks my quads are the devil. I fly the cat nuts, it sharpens the senses, plus I'm really a Rottwieller guy and he'll walk under it screem'in and it pretty much isn't worth his time to deal with, plus he's bigger. Take care and really looking forward to some outside testing like high speed ..........I'll stop there, have some great flying time!

• Like Like x 1
  3. silversilk

silversilk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Everyone,
    I am the proud owner of the new Runner 250 Pro and I am finding almost no information about it on the internet. When I made the order a few weeks back I had not realized at the time that it was so new. I signed up just so I can post a few things here in this forum since this is just about the only place I have found where a conversation is being had about this copter.

Let me start with a disclaimer. This is my first FPV drone and my only drone of this size and caliber. I have owned a Blade Nano for a few years and became proficient with it. I also own a micro pocket sized quad copter (unknown brand) to tool around the house with. I am, by far, not an expert so take everything I post with that in mind.

I have had the drone for about a week and today is the first time I have taken it out. I have spent the past 4-5 days reading as much material as I can about Walkera drones in general to get a good understanding of how to proceed. I started by looking at forums about 250 and the 250 advance since they are the closest thing to compare to. The documentation included is really not meant to help someone who has no prerequisite knowledge about drones of this caliber.

Here is what I tried out on my first day with it:

1. GPS functions (there are a few things to consider that are not clear in the manual)
    - Firs the GPS position hold or hover (not familiar with the drone nomenclature) works nearly perfectly. The trick here was to lock the GPS while the drone was still on the ground by flipping the mix switch to 1 and waiting for the right red tail light to start flashing indicating you are good to go. You need to switch the mix switch back to 0 to arm and start flying but now your home position is set and GPS is on hand for you to engage from here out. You can still fly with it activated (mix @ pos 1) but the rates are cut down quite a bit and as soon as you let go of the right stick it will come to a quick and perfect hover almost like hitting an invisible wall. At any point you can flip the mix switch back to 0 and it will not lose the GPS lock but suspends the features. The rear right red light will still blink letting you know its ready to flip on when you are.
    - Second the Return Home feature works very well. After making sure I had set my GPS home position, I then armed and flew the drone about 100 ft in the air and about 100 ft from my home position and then flipped the mix switch to pos 2 and it immediately came back. The accuracy was good within a few feet. This really appeals to my geeky side.

2. Stability
    For my first drone of this size I don't really have anything else to compare it to except the smaller Blade Nano. With that in mind I had no trouble feeling like I had great control of the drone. I was able to fly it at a good speed through an archway about 2.5 feet wide we have in our hedge in the back yard. There did not appear to be any lag between the Devo 7 and the Drone. If there was it was not detectable by me. With the GPS lock on to pos 1 you really cant crash this thing. Its really stable.

3. FailSafe switch.
    When I first pulled it out of the box and put a battery in to bind it i thought i had an issue with trim since once I armed it, the blades spun up. After doing some digging around I learned that this is a new feature with this model in order to resolve an issue known as the Flip of Death (FOD). Apparently it helps with when you drop the throttle down to 0 extremely quickly and the rates at which the blades both stop and spin up again while you are mid flight. This feature keeps them from getting in a state that would cause the drone to flip over and slam into the ground. Once you land, the drone will still spin at about 5% for a good 3 seconds and then disarm. The top left switch on the Devo is configured as a Throttle Hold which will be an immediate shut off. So if you crash you will want to flip that switch on ASAP and it will cut the engines so to speak.

4. Camera
    I was able to configure the Devo 7 to start and stop recording with the Gear switch. This is handy so you can control that mid flight. Works great. I have not watched any of the video yet but will have a look soon and update you all on the quality. I think this camera has been used on other Walkera models so there should not be any surprises here.

5. FPV with Goggles 4
    So this is where I decided to draw the line. I have the setup working and started to take off in FPV mode but quickly realized I needed much more room. I am doing this in my back yard next to a golf course and there are still golfers out. So when I get some more time and can run it out to the course I will give this a shot. My first instinct is that it will be easier to do once I get some time on it since the directions never flip on you relative to the direction of the drone. That was the biggest hurdle to get over when I was learning since when the drone is flying away from you, all the sticks directions line up with your point of view. However when you are flying towards you, you have to flip that in your mind. It becomes second nature after some time but since you will allays be in first person view with the goggles you no longer have to do that. I am excited to try this soon and will let you know about range and clarity.

I did adjust the throttle curve to be a bit more exponentially heightened on the upper end so that I had more "room" at the lower end of the throttle position. I recommend googling a video if you are interested in that because the Devo menus are crazy illogical in my opinion. Usually I can pick something up and pluck away at it with no problems but this thing is confusing to navigate.

If anyone wants me to try something in particular let me know and I will give it a shot and let you know. Over all... i got this with the Goggles 4 directly from the walkera.com website for $558 and i feel like it was totally worth it. I have also emailed support a few times to get updates on shipping and they were very quick to respond.
    I highly recommend this Drone.

4. Jskinney1

Jskinney1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi I'm new here and new to drones just got the runner 250 pro today. I turn on the controller and plug in the battery and it either starts beeping and flashing all the lights like it's not getting signal from the tx or it alternates flashing the red lights back and fourth and I can't get it to unlock or fly. the fpv transmission comes on and works and it's bound to the controller when only the red rear led are alternating flashing because if you turn the controller off it beeps for lost signal and flashes all the lights. I got it to work 2 times randomly and to fly once but other than that I spent the day trying to get it to turn on and bind properly not sure if anyone has had this problem or knows what it is or how to fix it any help would be great thank you.

5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +307 / 10
    It binds fine. You must turn on the TX first and immediately plug the battery into the Pro.

On the Pro the power up process has been extended to ensure that the IMU preheat has been done successfully. And that the GPS cold power up has sufficient time to achieve a basic lock. This is identified in the user manual.

This is to improve the reliability and stability of the Pro and to prevent RTH flyaways.

If you just wait you will see both LEDs go out and the right rear start to slowly flash. This means that you can now ARM the motors. Just give it some extra time.

Walkera are looking to see if they can fine tune this power up and a FW update will be available shortly.

I will put up a post when any updates become available.

Cheers Brian

6. Jskinney1

Jskinney1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok I did see that in the manual and I figured it was binding but I'm letting it sit for quite a while I'd say 2 plus minutes some times and the lights are still flashing and I'm not able to arm

7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +307 / 10
    You may be slow in connecting the battery. It needs to be connected within 1-2 seconds of powering on the radio. Try connecting the battery first then powering on to see if that improves your situation. (Don't do this at a flying cub or with other flyers present) This is an issue for most newbies to Walkera models.

Ability to ARM can take up to 6 minutes from my experience depending on external conditions. Its longer indoors. GPS acquisition timeout I assume.

Outdoors I think its the same if GPS sat acquisition is slow.

8. Jskinney1

Jskinney1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok thank you so much for your help I am in doors and started thinking it may not be getting gps signal I went near the door, as I have bad weather here right now, and it connected I think I will take it outside tomorrow if the weather is good and see how it does just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing anything wrong

9. Blackroadster

Blackroadster Active Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0
    Hello Brian, rough day today, it's about 3:00 am and I just ordered the 250 PRO RTF with points and coupons under 350.00 to be delivered in 5-8 days. I tried to acguire extra props with the order, but Banggood did not list them, so I have to assume their the same as my 250R's, and I have plenty stock & other kinds in my arsenal. Let everybody know when it arrives. Great Googley Moogley! I think I'll stay up all night and sleep in late tomorrow. Once again, I appreciate the play by play banter you started with the announcement of your New PRO. I should be very pleased with Walkera this purchase, but I know I can count on you to field any guestions, you've already satisfied me that your secretly working for Walkera! Thanks & Happy Flying fellow Pro owners!
    Chuck a.k.a. Blackroadster

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +307 / 10

Haha not quite but I do have a big invested interest in their success. I have sunk a fortune into Walkera products.

Mostly heli's

I love helis the big benefit of them over a quad is its really easy to figure out whats the Front when you are flying."

Welcome to the :):):) "RUNNER PRO OWNERS CLUB" :):):)

I might even post a quick V450D03 kitchen flight video. I got my third from Banggood delivered on Friday. So did a Quick test first flight in the kitchen.

Its all proprietary Walkera Flight controller, gee they know there stuff. They can now give DJI a run for their money with the new MR Drone Flight Controller.

And competition is good for everybody.

Let us know how you go with the Runner Pro. From the Unbox onwards.

Cheers Brian