Walkera Runner 250 Advaced GPS and DevoF7 for Christmas!... Heeeeelpppp!!!

Discussion in 'Walkera Runner 250' started by DarthDrone, Dec 25, 2015.

1. DarthDrone

DarthDrone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys,
    My first post but I have been here many times reading about the Walker Runner 250. I have been spoiled with a DJI P3 for some time. Despite being very happy with it, the P3 lacks the ability to do tricks in the air and so forth. SOOOO the logical thing to do was to get a racing drone. Did my research... or so I think and decided on the Runner 250 with GPs instead of a Storm Drone 380 with GPS. Thus far I have "flown" the runner for two batteries and I'm struggling to get it sorted. First damage was to the antenna when a tree decided not to move out of my way. Second damage was prop with the flip of dead. I believe I have fixed the FOD. But I'm having troubles with the runner after take off. It drifts away from me and the GPS does not seem to help. I have read about how to adjust this quad with MultiWii and this is proving more frustrating than not as I have a Mac and I cannot connect the quad to it due to some issue with the usb driver. I emulate windows and then I get a Java.exe error. So I think is safe to say that I'm not going to do the multiWii trick. So, I'm left with working with the sticks.
    I am having a lot of troubles with this and I have spend endless hours searching the net without much success. Maybe I'm too thick to understand, But I will appreciate if anyone can give me some clarity about how to go about adjusting the sticks to stop the drift and get on with flying. I hope I made the right choice with the Runner 250 as opposed the Storm Drone. I dont want to bag this little quad but so far It has been more frustration than joy!:(
    By the way, I have a lipo batt for the dev F7 and I bought a IMAX B6AC balance charger just to find out that I cannot use this for this battery as it only has a balance port and not a banana charging port!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad:
    Anyone knows where I can get an adapter for it:rolleyes:
    Any input is more than welcome and have happy flying

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
    The main reason the runner Advanced drifts in GPS mode is because it has not been calibrated successfully.

Read the info below on Calibration and First flights and have another go. Come back if it hasn't solved your problem.

I would leave Multiwii out of the equation until you solve your basic problems. We can work on that after you review the Calibration info.

You will need to make up your own charge cable. its easy enough and will only cost a couple of bucks. Or use the charger that came with the Runner.

Cheers

The Calibration.

You have to start on Level ground. Be behind Model.

Initiate the Calibration and the lights will flicker.

Lift Model

Nose pointed forward roll forward in 90 degree increments. Pause at each 90 degree for 1 second.

Nose pointed forward rotate on its yaw axis Clockwise in 90 degree increments. Pause at each 90 degree increment for 1 second.

Nose pointed forward roll Counterclockwise in 90 degree increments. Pause at each 90 degree increment for 1 second.

Nose pointed down rotate Counterclockwise in 90 degree increments. Pause at each 90 degree incumbent of 1 second.

Place model back down on the level surface. The Lights must still be blinking after you place the model down. If they have stopped blinking before placing the model on the flat surface the calibration timed out and has failed. You must start again.

With the model flat on the ground the lights should then stop flashing. Use the Power button to stop the battery and remove it from the model.

Power it up again.

This is a very raw basic calibration. But enough to get you flying.

First Flights.

Power up model on a level surface.

Slowly throttle up till the model either lifts level or starts to roll or pitch. If it rolls or pitches hold the throttle and correct with the elevator and aileron until it is level. Give it a bit more throttle and it should lift reasonable level while you correct with aileron and elevator. (Rolling or Pitching after a good calibration generally means a CG issue or a motor ESC issue)

Once you get about 6 feet in the air. fly the model forward and walk behind it. Once you get to a good location to fly stand 6 feet behind the model fly it in a slow circle around you while you remain 6 feet behind. Execute this twice. Land model disarm motors power down remove battery.

Power up agin and repeat for the full battery charge.

Next battery. It should lift very stable, fly for 5 minutes in manual executing all manoeuvres. Land disarm motors power down remove battery and repeat for the full battery.

GPS First Flights.

Next battery. Find a good level location to fly that is clear all around. Power up, wait for at least 3 clear satellite blinks. >4 is preferable. It should fly in manual very stably fly to 6 to 12 feet and hover in manual. Switch to GPS. The model should hold position. Practice ascending and descending. The throttle response is totally different in GPS mode. It no longer controls prop speed directly. It only commands ascend and descend. Prop Speed is controlled by the FC.

Make sure you know where the centre position is on the throttle. Set a centre position beep if you have a radio that supports this. You need to be centre throttle to switch back to Manual flight. If not in the centre the model will either ascend or fall rapidly when switching back. Get some practice switching back and forth.

Keep a close eye out for the first few batteries on the Satellite blink count. Be prepared to switch back to manual if the blink count drops to below 3.

The more you fly in manual mode the better the aircraft will fly.

3. DarthDrone

DarthDrone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the reply bjr.
    I thought I had done the GPs dance already. But the evidence would suggest otherwise. When doing the GPS dance, does the runner gives me any feedback to suggest that I have done it right? I have set the FOD already on the throttle stick, I hope this does not affect the GPS dance... I will try tomorrow and give some feedback.
    Thanks a lot

PS can you advise how to make the cable

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
    No feedback.

They key to getting it correct is starting on a level surface and finishing in the same place. The lights must be still flashing by the time you place level at the finish.

Sometimes. Not sure why it loses the calibration. Theories to date are either a battery spike glitch on powerup, or glitch / reset when using the USB connection.

5. DarthDrone

DarthDrone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

I think the problem has been the light stops blinking before i finish the dance!!!!!
    I assume I should do the dance in the open as opposed to inside the house

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
    That will do it. If the dance is not complete the calibration fails.

I had to practice many times to get it correct. If you can make sure you stop for the 90 degree increments for 1 second as well.

You need to do outside away from any Magnetic interference.

Don't even carry a mobile phone with you.

Cheers

7. DarthDrone

DarthDrone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for all your help BJR. You have been an amazing source of information. I think I managed to to the dance and started flying the drone. I must say I am a bit taken back by how difficult to set the GPS is as opposed to the P3. The P3 is one quick dance and feedback provided no worries, off you go!!! This business of flying it hoping the GPS is fine tuning its calibration is not ideal... In the end the Runner has landed bad and broke another pair of props the battery plate, a light and dent in the camera... Not ideal for sure.
    I'm looking at parts know. But I'm actually considering selling my runner as spare part for someone who may be interested. So if anyone is interested let me know.

8. DarthDrone

DarthDrone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ok, I'm looking at the parts to repair. Thus far looked staring forward giving the fact that this is meant to be a modular quad...mmmh the from led light needs replacing. But I cannot see how this is just a modular fix... any suggestions?

9. farkincza74

farkincza74 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi,
    Merry Christmas for everyone!
    Can someone show Advance setting?
    I get twitchy very difficult to fly.

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
    There is a big difference between the DJI flight controller (P3) and the Open Source flight controllers and their individual implementation by manufactures in the collaboration.

The DJI (P3) controllers have factory calibrated IMUs. The Open Source don't. You can calibrate the DJI flight Controllers but it is not recommended unless you have serious problems.

The open source FCs require calibration dances as they do not know what hardware they will end up in.

The other issue is that they do a IMU baseline on power up. DJI uses the preset.

So if you power up the model on non level ground the IMU will be out of whack and flight erratic. Ideally you should carry around a takeoff pad with spirit levels attached.

You have 2 choices you buy the mainboard with the lights soldered on or you buy the lights and solder yourself. I recommend the latter.:D

Walkera Runner 250 Spare Parts White LED Light Runner 250-Z-32 2PCs