Walkera Devo 7 range/reception.

Discussion in 'Walkera Devention Radios' started by MoyRC, Sep 15, 2016.

1. MoyRC

MoyRC New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Guys,

I’ve just purchase the Walkera RX601 six channel receiver for my new Walkera Devo 7 transmitter. I noticed the antennas on the RX601 are about 1 inch long. The other Walkera receivers like the RX701 and RX801 have the standard size antennas.

Does anyone know if the RX601 receiver, with the 1 inch long antennas, has poor range and reception versus the RX701 and RX801 receivers with the standard size antennas?

Should I return the RX601 receiver and replace it with the RX701 or RX801?

Appreciate all your input and help!

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +341 / 12
    Good question and here is the answer. Hopefully other members will read and get an understanding of antennas.

Its irrelevant. The length of the antenna wire makes no difference to range. Actually the shorter the better as it has less chance of noise induction from motors, escs, switching BECs etc.

The antenna wire has a coating that tries to insulate from inducting RF radiation. The active part of the antenna is the tip that has this shielding removed. The length of this tip has to be a Multiple / Fraction of the wavelength of the transmission to gain max reception.

Most antenna are 1/4 wavelength. The stripped tip should be 30.71 mm.

Read this post for details.( and the math)

Yet another rx710 dead

No as they say here is "the rub"

No. 1 Antenna Routing

Most quadcopter have carbon fibre parts. Carbon fibre is a very effective shield so you need to be able to route the effective part of the antenna (the Tip) far away from any carbon or metallic parts.

So most RXs have antenna wires long enough to do this routing. If you have a big Foam glider. Thats not going to be an issue for mounting the RX and the antenna

No. 2 Antenna Alignment

The antenna to get max reception must be aligned in parallel to the RX antenna.

You will see a lot of advice stating do not point the antenna at the model. This is 100% valid, this is why the TX antenna are bendable. It should be bent up or to the right / left on the TX. I prefer Right / Left. (This is then consistent with radios that have inbuilt TX antennas).

Now that is pretty hard to do on a model that is moving in different directions. So to achieve better reception your can get RXs that have diversity Receivers. They have 2 antenna.
    The instructions for these clearly state keep the antenna at 90 degrees to each other. If they were both in parallel they would get these are reception as each other when the model turns. At 90 degrees one will perform better than the other and the RX will select reception from that antenna automatically.

When I mount Diversity RXs on my larger Foam aircraft I mount 1 antenna in alignment with the fuselage and the other with the wing. So I can always determine the best reception while it is airborne. Any twitch glitches I can fly either towards away or at 90 degress to myself.

So unmaking a decision on to what RX to use you need to answer the questions below.

• Am I going to fly a long way away from myself? > 500 metres if no Single antenna is fine.
    • Am I going to fly in a crowded environment. (inside close planted trees (FPV race circuit) near houses or other areas that could shield the reception. If no a single antenna is fine.
    • Am I going to mount the RX inside a carbon or largely metallic model. Buy an RX with long antenna leads or replace the lead with a long antenna lead.
    • I don't want to care. I want insurance. Buy a good qualitY long range RX like the Devo 8RX,10RX and 12RX. Good for 2 klm.

Hope this helps.

The video below is a range test of a RX 601 in horrible conditions.

It shows about 300 Metres on the ground so should be good for 1klm in the air under ideal conditions.

Cheers Brian

3. MoyRC

MoyRC New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Wow Brian, yet again, I'm very impressed with your professional, detailed responses! You're definitely an asset to this forum, keep up the excellent work! Thanks a million for all your help!

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +341 / 12
    Thanks and you are most welcome.

:)