Video Range

Discussion in 'Walkera Runner 250 Pro' started by DrewDigital, Jan 26, 2017.

1. DrewDigital

DrewDigital New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I've been flying my 250 Pro in the park and the video link goes down if I go farther than 100 yards away. It's scary loosing video when the quad so far enough away that I can't see it's orientation. It was a good thing that it had GPS and Return To Home otherwise I would have lost it.

The specs say TX5834(FCC)/TX5835(CE) and that the TX5834 output power is <200mW and the TX5835 output power is <25mW. How do I know which video transmitter I have?

What kind of range do you guys get? Looking for tips to improve my range.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    Please set you location in your profile. The TX is Country dependant. Where do you live?

3. DrewDigital

DrewDigital New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm in Los Angeles, California.

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    Then most likely you are either on the wrong channel / band or you have the wrong antenna on your FPV receiver.

What are you using to view the FPV?

5. Blackroadster

Blackroadster Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Hello Brian. I ordered immediate stock and have the 720 camera, or lower lines camera. It also says specificly 20mw Tx. I'm putting the 1080 on and I believe from my power board test/repair that one of the two small boards are the Tx, thus I imagine replaceable to a 200mw Tx. My R came loaded and I have all my licences FAA/FCC so I can both fly and broadcast. In the mean time, I am just swapping out camera's and see how well it keeps transmitting on 20mw, unless it doesn't do well. Hope all is well mate. Have a good one. Happy Flying
    Chuck

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    Interesting so CE VTXs are being distributed in the US.

They will give you lousy range.

Cheers

Can you confirm the number on the actual TX?

7. Blackroadster

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I have not done more than a 300 foot course and the 20mw has been OK, but I had some glitches when I took it up about 50 feet and a couple hundred feet away north of me. I am assuming that the Tx for the video is one of the stacked little boards.
    I have only seen 1 power board offered for the Pro, and the R has the video board built into the PB. I didn't see any defining marks. I'm going to Walkera and see if theres a 200 mw available and see what it looks like & get back to you. Have good day. Happy Flying!
    Chuck

8. Blackroadster

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Walkera has both 25 & 200mw. Its not either board I thought, but in same location and since I had previously removed it to check soldier joints, you would think I would have seen the Tx number. Well, just to make sure before spending 48.00 (either board) I will have a quick look at mine, but with the cheaper camera and Banggood's discription, It's going to be the 20 mW, I'm sure. Take care & Happy Flying!
    Chuck

9. DrewDigital

DrewDigital New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    The number on the top of the video transmitter circuit board is FPV-2M250 2.0. The number on the bottom is 3516. I'm using the Boscam monitor that was sold with the Runner. It has two stick antennas. I bought it from the Walkera store Runner 250 PRO (A NEW GPS Racer) .

The dip switches are set to 111 and the monitor receives the video feed on channels A8 or B1. Which band does the Runner use, A or B?

Another issue I noticed is that the video antenna RF connector gets really hot. Hot enough that you can't keep your fingers on it for more than a second. That seems odd, considering the low power output. Is that normal?
    [​IMG][/URL]

Last edited: Feb 1, 2017
  10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    Yes thats normal. This is why if you power up without an antenna you fry the VTX. It does generate a lot of RF energy.

Any reason why you swapped the Antenna?