Use Devo 7 with non-Walkera Quad

Discussion in 'Walkera Devention Radios' started by Kubiac, Feb 9, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Kubiac

Kubiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm a rookie at this stuff and have a Runner 250 Advanced. As a learning experience, I am going to be building a basic inexpensive quad with most of the parts from HobbyKing. I am using a KK2.1.5 Flight Control Board.

Since I already have a Devo 7, it would be convenient (and save me money) to use it as my transmitter. From what I can tell, the only receiver that will work with the Devo 7 is the RX710. Is this true, or is there another alternative?

Even if there isn't, it would still be cheaper to pay $30 for an RX710 instead of buying a new Transmitter/Receiver combo. The problem as I see it is that the RX710 has no easy way to access the pin-outs since it uses a ribbon cable as an interface connector, and I have not been able to find documentation defining which pins control what function. If I had the pin-out information, I could solder wires to the end of the ribbon cable, but I can see where that could get a bit messy.

Anyway, does anyone have any recommendations/information that would help?

Additionally, if I need to buy a new Transmitter/Receiver combo, any recommendations would be appreciated.
    I wouldn't want to go too high end (due to the expense), but I would like something that could be used with potential additional builds in the future.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +296 / 10
    OK I will move this thread into the Devo Radio Forum as its about the TX not the runner.

The Devo 7 will bind and work with any Devo receiver regardless of the channel count.

So any Devo RX will work for you. The standard RX for the Devo 7 is the RX701. you could also use the Rx802 8 channel, Rx1002 10 channel, and Rx1202 12 channel.

The runner RX is built specific for the runner and is useless for anything else.

Now the reality is that you will need a receiver to support the Flight Controller on your new model.

The RXs above do not support PPM or S-bus.

You can also get a number of 12 channels Devo RXs that Support PPM out and would work for you.

They are the RXs native to the QR X350 Pro, Tali, Scout, and X8. they are all 12 channels and support PPM out to a Flight controller.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
  3. Kubiac

Kubiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm a bit confused. I think I understand that the KK needs PPM or S-bus support (which the RX701 doesn't have) to communicate to the receiver, but I'm unclear on what you meant by "Now the reality is that you will need a recover to support the Flight Controller on your new model." It implies that there is a way to use the RX701, but not directly. Since my original post, I have found several pictures where people have used the RX701 with the KK controllers, but I have been unable to find any information on the specific set up and if there are any special things that need to be done to make it work.

Sorry for my ignorance, but any clarification would be greatly appreciated.

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +296 / 10
    Autocorrect got me. Should be receiver. I have fixed it.

The Rx701 us PWM output. If the flight controller supports PWM you are OK.

Just conect the Rx to the FC with 4 servo cables.

5. Kubiac

Kubiac New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great!

From what I can tell, the KK supports PWM and PPM (seems like this information would be easy find, but not so much, for me anyway), so I should be good.

Thanks again for your help.

6. Yorkie_2118

Yorkie_2118 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi I'm just wondering if anyone can answer a question for me? I'm new to racing drones, Iv only had a dji phantom 3 for a few months so I only know my way around that. Iv recently bought the walkera runner 250 and I also have a blade inductrix mini quad. I'm wanting to know if it's possibly to connect the devo 7 to the blade inductrix? And if it is possible, how do I do it?

7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +296 / 10
    IT is not possible.

8. Hatetherunner

Hatetherunner New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I'm trying to get my Devo7 and rx703a to work on my nighthawk pro 280. I want to use ppm because then I can easily hook up gps later. And the rx703a will also work well for my dji f550 build later. While I had it hooked up with the nighthawk it was moving throttle and aux2 at the same time and no other channels were working. I tried the available channel maps in cleanflght and had no luck. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +296 / 10
    Walkera use the channel order EATR. Your model is most likely looking for channel order AETR.

The Devo 7 does not support channel swapping so you are out of luck, Sorry.

Cheers Brian

10. Hatetherunner

Hatetherunner New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    So without getting to the computer on cleanflght to find out for myself..... Is there not a way to get that channel order selected. Sorry I admit I am pretty much a noob. I really do appreciate the help. I just want to fly. Lol I guess I might just have to wait and use my Devo7 for the Flamewheel build. Was hoping to be able to make use of the 15 model memory. And bought the rx703a because of the ppm capability. And this is my second nighthawk pro 280. Lost the first one in the wind. Just loved the way it flew. But I'm having so much more problems now that there are so many firmwares to choose from.... Sorry for ranting.