UK Newbie ...

Discussion in 'Introductions and Site Help' started by mph999, Jun 6, 2016.

1. mph999

mph999 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys,

My name is Martin, I'm a newbie from the uk with delivery of a 250 Advanced due sometime in the next few days.

I have some flying experience, gliders mainly, though this was a good few years ago. I also have flown drones and have quite a few incident free hours on a DJI Phantom 3.

I am more than aware that the DJI wraps you in cotton wool, so I taking the completely new approach and will start from the very basics. I haven't purchased the googles yet, I will I expect but want to avoid the temptation of running before I can walk.

So, prior to purchase I have done research, research and research, and that landed me with a whole bunch of questions most of which I have found answers for, some I haven't but I expect I will with a little effort.

I do however, if I may, have one query regarding setup.

Apart from following the manual, setup of the Devo 7, I need to also :

1. Set the failsafe (kill throttle in case of loss of signal)
    2. Apply the trim fix for FOD, and configure throttle hold to -20% to kill the props when on the ground

I believe I have sufficient instructions for this so no worries there.

My question therefore, is there anything else I need to do, for example throttle curves / throttle - elevator mix ?
    If so, are there any guides for this as I've drawn a bit of a blank.

Kindest regards, and thank you in advance.

Martin

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +296 / 10
    A throttle exponential is good to flatten out the centre. It helps hovering. You should program this in conjunction with end points and a switch mix for the FOD fix.

At some stage when I have the time I will define a setup for the Devo 7 for the runner.

Cheers

3. mph999

mph999 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Many thanks for taking the time to reply ...

Good news, the drone arrived today.

I set up the transmitter as per the guide. I see that, as per the instructions, if the drone losses connectivity to the transmitter it will activate return-to-home. For that reason I have not set the throttle fail safe. I was unaware of this function previously.

I have set the FOP fix, and configured the hold switch to kill the motors (-20%).

I have had a one battery test flight - without setting the throttle curve (*). Not too bad, I flew in both GPS and manual and found both to be similar when hovering. The model wanders a little forwards and left and for the moment I just compensated manually, I'll recalibrate and see if that makes a difference / add a bit of trim.

(*) I understand the theory of the throttle expo but this bit confuses me "You should program this in conjunction with end points and a switch mix for the FOD fix."
    I'll do some digging around to find some answers and come back here if I can't find anything (if I may).

Only other thing I noticed was that the yaw rate was a bit low, so I'll look into increasing this a bit.

Many thanks,

Martin

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +296 / 10
    Hi Martin,

I am not 100% sure (I have not tested it for obvious reasons) but I think RTH only works if you are flying in GPS mode. Not sure what happens if you lose signal while flying in manual.

The FOD fix increases the throttle range across the entire throttle curve. Also goes past the 100% end point on full throttle. Nothing much to worry about but it does get annoying when flipping between manual and GPS mode. You need to move the throttle to 50% while you are in manual to switch over to GPS mode. The FOD throttle increase means you don't get a clean transfer.

I created a .model config file for the 320 that had dual throttle rates and expo at the centre (easier hovering) and kept the curves consistent throughout the full throttle range.

I wil do one of these for the runner when I have time, you can read the thread in the 320 Forum if you want to view more info.

Cheers

5. mph999

mph999 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thank you, I shall take a look.

A few flights in and I've found out why you need a throttle curve ... no major issues but it has gained hight rather rapidly on a couple of occasions ...

Progressed to slow circles now, just using rudder. Tried a banking turn on manual which was okish .... just need practice.

Many thanks again.