trying to bind SBUS receiver with Walkera devo 7 on F4V3

Discussion in 'Walkera Help!' started by bart 1980, Feb 10, 2021.

1. bart 1980

bart 1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I'm trying and trying and reading etc. but cannot get the receiver to work. Binding looks good (after the binding proces the light blinks continuous) but the drone where the receiver is connected does not respond. Also in Betaflight it will not respond. I tried on FlightControler F4 v3 and a Versatile F4 flight controller w\ integrated BetaFlight OSD (Tyro79).
    What can I do to check if the receiver and transmitter don't have any hardware issues?

Thanks in advance for help. It is getting terrible not coming any further. It is my first build drone and everything else is getting succesfull. But only the receiver will not respond.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +567 / 16
    Could be many issues. Can you provide a link to the RX you purchased.

Walkera use Reverse Sbus. I don't know what FC hardware you have in what support they have.

You would be better placed using PPM rather than Sbus.

3. bart 1980

bart 1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thank you for reply. The receiver is:
    https://www.dennisdeal.com/products...m=[BESLI13fece6d-6486-4047-9cb1-fbc0b45ff434]

I also found out, in the meantime, that it is probably an issue with the inverted system. Strange that allmost no one does mention that in all the you tube movies. It should be so simple, but it isn't. It is getting harder to get right information from the internet.
    Nevertheless, good idea to switch to PPM. I will try that tonight. And will also re solder the jumper on the F4 V3 Omnibus to PPM (i.s.o. SBUS).

I hope that with that it is manageble in BF. The only thing I did't try is to schange the signal wire to Rx 3 or Rx6. Changing it to Tx1 did't work out. How ever, I also did not change the inverter settings in BF (turning it off). Would that be an option also?

4. bart 1980

bart 1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    update, is switched to PPM and it worked. Within a month I will receive a Jumper T16. Will it also be hard to connect an SBUS receiver, f.e. a more common like FrSky , XM+ ?

5. bjr981s

Ratings:
    +567 / 16
    It all depends on the implementation of SBUS on the Rx. A lot or Rxs support both inverted and normal SBUS output selected by changing pins.

Most flight controllers would support normal SBUS. Walkera for some reason prefer inverted.

The only real difference between SBUS and PPM is that SBUS is slightly faster and supports more that 8 channels. SBUS is 18, 16 variable and 2 switches.

For drones SBUS is really not necessary unless you are using a Futaba TX and RX.

Cheers

p.s. You will always get real information here on this site. :). There is much misinformation on the net.o_O

6. bart 1980

bart 1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    thanks again for your update. I learn a lot :). But.... offcourse now there is something else. Everything is working fine (allmost everything) but now the motors won't spin. I programed all the switches correct, BF is reacting perfectly, the ESC's are calibrated and finally spinning motors. But: - the min throttle is 1104. With the trimmer or other adjustments it is possible to bring it under min-check which is 1020. But it is a little weird because it constantly says throtle is minus 20 % (or so)
    - When I move the throttle stick a tiny little, the rpm is moving up but do not stop getting higher. Till enormous rpm. How can I change that?
    - When I arm the motor, the rpm is allready quit high. How can I change that?

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  7. bjr981s

Ratings:
    +567 / 16
    Im not familiar with Betaflight so cant offer much assistance there.

But I suspect that it may have something to do with the Channel order the FC is expecting.

The 4 channels for the sticks are mapped differently across different Radio transmitters.

Most use the Futaba standard which is AETR. A = Aileron, E = Elevator, T=Throttle, R = Rudder.

Walkera use EATR.
    Graupner use TAER.
    Spektrum use TAER.
    JR use TAER.

It's possible that your FC is set up for JR/Spektrum and the RX is outputting Walkera so the throttle is on the wrong channel.

Try mapping the channels on the FC to EATR

Cheers Brian

8. bart 1980

bart 1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    hi, I tried to switch to EATR. But T = Throttle offcourse, so that wouldn't make much of a difference I guess? Tonight again I tried everything but no succes. As soon as I move the stick a little bit up, it start spinning faster and faster. When stick is in down position, yaw is working normal it looks like. Also pitch and roll is doing well. pfff.... starting to get regret buying this Walkera. Also the menu is frustrating and not logical.
    I also tried to calibrate the motors via BF. But that didn't wok out eather. It was not making the sounds it should make. So..... I'm totaly lost.

9. bjr981s

Ratings:
    +567 / 16
    Did you tell the Devo 7 that it is an Airplane? It defaults to Helicopter which would cause many problems.

10. bart 1980

bart 1980 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I did, And I solved the problem !! I'm very happy now. We do have a big concrete wall here nearby. And there I have anded the life of the Devo 7. It is worse than any computer I've ever had in my life I'm so glad I can advise: buy NEVER EVER a Walkera Devo 7 !!!!!