Tali H500 Telemetry

Discussion in 'Walkera Help!' started by theboatbldr, Apr 26, 2018.

1. theboatbldr

theboatbldr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just acquired a new (old stock) Tali H500.

I had no trouble in binding the H500 with an older Devo F12E transmitter. I am able to connect and control everything fine - gimbal control working, live video working, etc. etc. The bird acquires GPS and shows all the proper blinking and such. A test flight proves all is well and seems to fly just fine in both GPS and manual mode. Auto take off and landing gear work fine too.

I am not however, able to acquire any of the telemetry from the H500? I am not able to see battery voltages, altitudes, speed, etc., etc.. I have double checked the settings on the transmitter, but am not finding where I am missing something. Any ideas before I open up the bird?

Only thing I could possibly think of inside is maybe the data bus connections from the main controller to rcvr?

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
    Have you got the Telemetry turned on in the F12E?

3. theboatbldr

theboatbldr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the suggestion - can't say I even know how to "turn on" telemetry in on the F12E? Are you referring to the sensor view? Either way, I got impatient, so opened up the 500 to find the single white telem wire from GPS, plugged into the data port of the main controller - and not the rcvr. Plugged into the rcvr and acquired telem. Fixed...

As I also found a couple of gimbal signals crossed, I am assuming this is a crashed bird with new body. Oh well, it will live again.

On another note in regards to the 500 - I hear the many horror stories of GPS flights associated with the 500. I have not lost all hope, just doing all that I can to avoid problems, rather than fix them later. The 500 flies fine in manual, indicates all is well both visually and performance wise. I have good GPS locks and such - but want to make sure I'm covered before flipping the switch. I have updated the firmware to 2.2 - and I have ordered a replacement dual GPS module (X350 Premium Z-18 BN-300) to install. Would it be in my best interest to install the new module prior to attempting a GPS flight? I assume, other than splitting the 6 pin connector accordingly, it is a plug an play swap?

Thanks Much...

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
    The telemetry enablement is in the Function menu.

It allows you to turn on the alerting for the available telemetry and how the GPS display is shown.

I would recommend that you set the battery warning voltage to 22.2V and enable the Haptic vibrator.

The standard GPS lock sucks and is a very old GPS module. You have purchased the correct one. You use the existing cable for the new GPS it is Pin for Pin compatible with the new GPS module. You will not be able to use the existing mount to orientate the module it is larger than the original . You will need to modify the mount and only use one screw to install it. I have modified one of my 3 so far and the GPS is rock solid and doesn't drop out like the original. make sure you do a successful calibration and fly the 3 manual flights to fine tune the compass calibration.

Its only bad habit is VRS so don't just drop strait down. Come to a landing hover with some forward movement.

Its a good model. You will enjoy it.

Cheers Brian

5. theboatbldr

theboatbldr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Brian -

Well, got the GPS the other day and installed it last night. Something must have changed as I was able to directly install the new module in place of the old module without having to modify anything. Board fits directly and nicely over the four standoffs on the inside body of the 500. I had read where mods and such were needed - or the one screw attachment - but didn't work that way in my case - it was much too simple.

Anyway, then applied power to check GPS signals - Obviously much, much better. I am almost skeptical as I went from a 3-4 blink flash with the old module to 9-10 flashes with the new - truly that much better? Will try a GPS flight this weekend.

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
    Thats Interesting. There has been a couple of evolutions of the Dual GPS module. There is a T and L version of the antenna. There must be a new revision with a thiner GPS Antenna now as well. The issue with the older modules was the antenna was too thick to be able to use the standoffs.

Yes, they are that much better. The GPS module in the H500 was old at the time the H500 was released. This is a great mod.

The other that you may want to think about is installing a standalone BEC with fuse for the landing gear. Landing gear failures have been known to take out the flight controller.

7. theboatbldr

theboatbldr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Too windy to get in the air this weeked - maybe this week.

Any suggestions as to which BEC is best to use? Best way to wire up?

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14