Suggested battery voltage setting?

Discussion in 'Walkera Furious 320' started by KreKol, Apr 24, 2016.

1. KreKol

KreKol New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hello. This is my second furious. The first one was a expensive spinning top straight from the box. The second one came missing one of the antenna covers and a replacement cover is on the way. Other wise it flies real good with the modded controller profile. My question is about the voltage settings in mission planner for the low battery failsafe system. Right now it is set at the factory setting of 14.4V. Of course I want to get a little more flying time out of the batteries but I don't want to set it too low. I read somewhere that 13.8V is a good level. Any suggestions?

2. jineffine

jineffine Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hi,
    I set 14 and I had a 7 min flight without issue - I landed by myself. (with the previous setting it landed emergency before 6)
    I'll try, maybe next week-end a hover flight until emergency lending to have view of the real capacity of the batteries.
    I'll be happy to ear what are the possible consequences of setting the parameter too low. Hard crash? Battery life dramatically reduced?

3. KreKol

KreKol New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    There is always a too low of voltage that would damage the battery but I believe that the voltage needed to achieve that is way below the ability to power the drone. The worry would be a hard crash. Plus you want a voltage that would give you an extra minute or two of flight time if the drone is a distance from you when it RTH.

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    The basics of Lipo are:

Per cel:

3.3V is Dead Flat. 4.2V is fully charged.
    3.8V is the storage charge if you want to keep batteries in storage. (This is a good point to stop discharging the battery for max battery life.)

Any discharge below about 3.6V will reduce the life of the battery pack. (Reduce the number of charging cycles before it dies.)

Any discharge below 3.3V will destroy the battery chemistry immediately.

So if you want to not overly damage the pack set the voltage above 3.5 x 4 = 14V

I would recommend 14.4V

Be careful what you read about Lipo Batteries many people discharge them too far. What the don't then admit is that they only get 20-30 charges out of the battery before it goes dead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. KreKol

KreKol New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thank you for that information. I am new to lipo batteries and definitely don't want to do anything that will shorten their life span. I even went out and got a balance charger. I will keep failsafe at 14.4V until I am more familiar with the batteries. Thanks again

6. Kosta

Kosta Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    I have set my low voltage to 14.2v which is 3.55v per cell when flying. After fly i have waited couple mins and measured with multimeter each cell voltage and in rest it has been then 3.75-3.8v per cell which is basically storage level for lipo's.
    Having a good charger so i can do storage charging/discharging if i dont fly for many weeks.

7. jineffine

jineffine Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hi Kosta
    Could you provide the ref of your charger?
    I have 4 batteries, including the original and no time to fly for now

8. Kosta

Kosta Member

Ratings:
    +34 / 0
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  9. KreKol

KreKol New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I got a skyrc B6 imax charger. It has discharging and storage. Of course it didn't come with the correct connection for the battery so I have one on the way. After reading what bjr981s wrote I was thinking about the 14.2v setting. That is where I will probably end up.

10. mbuitrago

mbuitrago New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    What other battery brands can replace the original, I have looked but the size does not match to fit in the 320

Thanks