Scout X4 v2

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by chase, Apr 24, 2016.

1. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    It's not new news by any means, but there may be some confusion since Walkera had made improvements to the circuit boards used in the Scout X4. Such as the Main Power Distribution, ESC boards and possibly to the battery circuit boards as well..

Brian and myself were discussing it in another thread. The topic warrants it's own thread.

Part numbers are the same for both versions.

Perhaps we can compile information that will help everyone in recognizing if you have the newer version installed and add info to help trouble shoot problems.

All photos reposted for educational purposes.

The Original Main Power Board below:

[​IMG]

The New Main Power board v2.1 below:

Top view:
    [​IMG]

Front/right:

[​IMG]
    Back/right:

[​IMG]

Side view:
    [​IMG]

Bottom view:

[​IMG]

A video pointing out some differences between version 1 and 2 of the MPD board.

Version 2 ESC board seen below:

I'll edit in the pictures as soon as I post them online.

In speaking to Walkera US, I inquired as to if there were any changes to the battery circuit boards as well.

Though he didn't go into detail, the answer was yes. He did mention there were changes to the board layout and a plug.

He also mentioned battery circuit boards were available. Which is great news those, like myself with good Lipo's but a bad circuit board in the battery pack. Whether the new boards fit the legacy battery packs, I don't know. But he did say both type are available.

- chase -

Last edited: Apr 25, 2016
  2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    Ok that makes it pretty obvious.

The DC power leads to all off board devices have large electrolytic capacitors directly across the power rails.

These are large capacitors and will hold a significant charge. The are there to prevent spiked voyage drops and voltage sags to the ESCs and off board FC and RX and Camera / Gimball.

The way it works is the capacitors will charge reasonable quickly from the battery when the power is switched on and keep charged. If the load exceeds the battery power capability the capacitors will supplement the load but only for a short time.

If you have the old board Buy the capacitors and install them yourself. Just make sure that you connect them around the correct way. Electrolytic's have a plus and gnd.

This would be a big mandatory if you build an X8.

3. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    Here is one of my scouts undressed.

It has the new main board and I would assume the V2 ESCs.

I have an X8 kit sitting around I will photo the ESCs on that.

IMG_1214.JPG

4. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I was wondering if you might have the old or new. Since you do, we can cross check voltages since you know yours are good.

I have the same in mine, v2.1 all round. ESC's as well.

I wonder if they changed the circuit boards in the batteries as well...?

I have v2.0 boards in the batteries.

I tried locally but so far couldn't find the right size ferret rings. That and the one place that had something close wanted ridiculous pricing for 1 by comparison to HK.

Btw, on a side note, I checked while I had the Scout opened up. I have the BS-300 GPS module though it didn't say the same as yours.

5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    My original GPS were also BS-300 with The Cirocomm 580 Antenna.

You need the GPSs with the T10 or T11 Antenna's For dual mode GPS.

The voltages on the board should be as its displayed in the silk screening. The 5V and 12V rails are labeled and the ESCs are Battery Voltage.

6. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I'm curious how to check the chips to be sure they're good.

As well as leads to modules. I've seen leads to the modules such as the FC be 0.1v differences according to specs on some. Not saying that's the case here, but possible.

I found this pic of new versus old version of gps on Carolina Drones.

[​IMG]

I should have wrote the number down of mine or snapped a pic as neither of the above are what I have installed. Though mine does have a double stack like the dual.

Next time I open it up, I'll take a pic and post it.

Have you ever thought of simply using a thin insulated foil tape around all connecting cables, the power leads separated from data to insulate/shield against RFI throughout?

Should work nicely I would think and shield all. I'm considering it as an alternative to the ferrite ring. Just a thought...

Btw Brian, I received a couple files from Walkera. It's the after care trouble shooting guides they use. Not that detailed... but may be helpful.

And... they're spread sheet. lol.
    Most is in Chinese, but they do have an English translation in them.

Since you're into spread sheets, and have the software. You want a copy and maybe you can clean them up leaving the English only? Convert them to a readable pdf?

I'd do it myself, but I don't have the software for xlms files. And being honest, I have little use for office or spread sheet apps. Or readers and converters for such file formats.

It's up to you.

Here's the links to download the xlms files.

Walkera After Care xlms 01

Walkera After Care xlms 02

- chase -

Btw Brian, I'm currently balance charging one of the new batteries I'd picked up with battery turned off - no difference in cell voltage. All cells even across the board. (4.19v currently on all cells, going through its final phase of the balance charge.) Not even a .01v difference between cells.

For me personally, I'm not going to risk frying the battery pak circuit boards by having it on while charging. Why risk it when you don't have to... though you can charge them with battery on as they instruct.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    TI don't believe the foil will do anything useful as there is nowhere to dissipate the charge it is accumulating. It will just act as a bigger antenna and collect more RF. It will then "infect" the wiring that it covers.

The problem with an aerial system is there is nowhere to ground the shielding. If it was a ground system you would earth the shield and the charge would be dumped into the earth.

You can ground the shield to the minus power rail but that will just shunt more RF into the power system.

The Ferrite Choke acts as a low pass filter. The positioning of the Choke is where you best think you want to reduce the RF.

8. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Yeah, I was reading what you were saying about grounding in your gps article. And has been either confirmed or parroted by others. (Hard to tell which sometimes) but it makes perfect sense either way.

Well.. it was a thought.

How about braiding the wires?
    Hmmm ... maybe not in looking at them.

I know airplanes do something, or maybe I'm thinking of static discharge. Yeah, I'm thinking static discharge now that I think on it a bit more...

Ferrite rings it is then.

- chase -