Scout X4 Orbit mode question

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by chase, Apr 24, 2016.

1. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I got a chance to try out the Orbit mode a couple times today.

My settings for the Orbit mode were left stock settings which are...

5% = 5 meter radius
    GPS mode on.
    6 Blue blinks => 11 SATs locked
    Hovering stationary

According to the manual and other videos demonstrating Orbit mode. It's suppose to fly camera in at the radius you set around a GPS point.

My Scout action was to orbit camera facing away from center and pirouette around a one foot circle.

First time clockwise, second time counter clockwise.

I've see this take place in video the other day to someone else using Orbit mode. I can't find the video...

Did I inadvertently move a stick on the TX, or make the wrong face when I activated Orbit mode to cause this? And to orbit in the opposite direction the second time?

I'd like it to do both on call... and set orbit direction ... that's pretty cool if it does it on demand.. and see it orbit as explained in the manual. ie: camera facing in, do the 5 meter radius flight as well.

Thanx,
    - chase -

Last edited: Apr 24, 2016
  2. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    UPDATE:

I've partially discovered the answer to my question above.

It wasn't the face I had when activating Orbit mode for starters.

Not mentioned in the manual is a second Orbit mode.

Aux 3 position 0 - off
    Aux 3 position 1 - orbits camera face out
    Aux 3 position 2 - orbits camera face in

There's only one video I've seen use position 1 of orbit mode. And all video reviews I've seen in reference to Orbit mode. Only show position 2, camera face in.

In changing the Aux 3 default setting of -100 to -50 in the F12E. I thought it might change the radius of Aux 3 Position 1 (camera facing out). It does not. At least not as far as I know and was willing to find out this time.

Firstly, changing that setting directly affects the Mix switch position 1 GPS mode I found, and may still affect the Orbit mode as well.

With the -50 setting, the Scout will immediately fly left once GPS mode is enabled. To where or what position (?) I don't know for sure.

The wind was really howling at the time today, coupled with the fact I didn't have a big enough field to find out where it was going to stop at, I had to put it back in Manual mode before it stopped flying left and trying Orbit mode at this setting.

Given different circumstances and area it would be interesting to find out what the outcome is.

Re-setting the Aux 3 back to default (-100) and all was as it should be again with GPS and Orbit mode.

In any case - Cool! An added hidden feature!
    And it works great!

Yet to discover, for me anyway, is how orbit direction (clockwise/counter clockwise) is controlled of it can be.

- chase -

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  3. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    I think you may have a problem with your F12E setup. (Prior Owner may have wrong settings)

The Mix Switch is on channel 5 GEAR.
    The FMOD Switch (Orbit) is on Channel 8 AUX 3

The Default FMOD switch settings are:
    Position 0 = -100 (Off)
    Position 1 = 0 (No Function)
    Position 2 = 5 (5 Metre Orbit diameter)

Where did you find this info on a second orbit mode?

Setting Position 2 or 3 to 50 Will be a 50 Metre Diameter orbit.

4. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hey Brian,

I updated the firmware. Previous owner's settings would have been erased and factory default settings reset upon updating from what I understand.

The info on the second Orbit mode, Aux 3 position 2 (FMOD) was discovered first hand... by accident out in the field as stated above in my previous posts.

I didn't know the FMOD switch was a three position switch, never used it before. The manual doesn't mention it either. Or rather it does say Orbit mode position "2".

At any rate, I assumed by all the videos it was a single position switch. Hence I clicked once to engage Orbit mode. And wa la... it orbits camera face out. Position 2.. orbits as stated in the manual.

The whole reason for the thread was I thought I did something wrong...

As well, I did see another video posted on YouTube... his did the camera facing out orbit too, just as mine does.

Where do you find the FMOD settings in the TX? (I'll probably find it before you respond but...to be sure).

- Edit: correction, maybe I won't find it before you reply. Sorry, my first real tx so... I looked in the tx and I don't see a channel 8, 7 or otherwise. I don't see an FMOD either. I do see in the manual you can select in device input and others the FMOD switch... but as of yet.. I haven't found what you're referring to to check settings.

It is set to Airplane model. Aux 3 is set to FMOD. Last Aux number is 7...

I definitely fit the profile of a total newb.. yah think?! lol...

Maybe where you are referring to, that's were I can change diameter of the camera facing out orbit... (?)

I looked under travel adjust, Aux 3 only has two settings. -100 and the diameter setting for camera facing in.

I checked the Mix switch according to the manual... settings are as they state it should be.

I seriously do not know enough about this bird or the tx as of yet to discern anything. I've left it all stock with the exception of the battery warning setting. And naturally, I updated all the firmware.

Other than that, I'm discovering it as I go along.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    The FMOD switch is allocated in Model Menu Device output.

Then Function menu Travel Adjust. +5 then -100

The +5 is + 5M diameter I have no idea what would happen if you set this at a negative.

6. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Nope, no FMOD in Model Menu-->Device Output in mine...

Only GEAR, FLAP, AUX2 thru AUX7
    I'm staring real hard at it, making different faces, and still no FMOD showing.
    It's selected in Device Output. Says Aux 3 - FMOD SW/ACTIVE

Same as in the manual. They're exactly as I have in mine.

I updated the F12E... it's not the condensed version. Or the 10mw... It's the full version/100mw.

Yeah I know were that is, as stated I changed the setting of the -100 to see if it would effect the camera out radius.

Yup, I know what that is, as stated above.

I think you may not understand what I'm looking for in the TX.

I'm looking for Aux 3 FMOD Position 1.

I see the setting for 0.... (-100)
    I see the setting for position 2 (+5 default)

Where's the setting for position 1 FMOD in the TX? It's not under AUX 3...

It's not in Device Output that I can see.

In the parameters I see channel 8 via text editor. I'll hook up the Scout later added look at channel 5.

If Aux position 0 set to -100 is just the off setting. Then yeah, something else is off. Or assigned to the FMOD... (?) It definitely has an effect changing it as previously mentioned.

-5 setting would give a negative 5 meters... Maybe that's a camera face out 5 meter radius. Only one way to find out...

Go for it! :)

Cheers.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    The device output menu in the TX is for associating Channels to devices (Switches etc)

You go to AUX3 and associate it with the FMOD switch. You could allocate it to a slider and then experiment around.

When a 3 position switch is allocated to a channel the channel low end is position 0 the channel middle is Position 1 and the channel high end is position 2.

You could change the position 1 by using sub trim to move the centre position.

Here is a pic showing AUX 3 associated with the FMOD switch as is the default as per the manual.

IMG_1332.JPG

8. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    You're definitely not following what I'm asking.

Firstly, I'm using the F12E, there's no slider on the tx. All two or three position switches. No dials or sliders. With the exception of the gimbal roll /pitch on the sides.

I understand the how and where in the tx the FMOD is allocated... etc, etc.
    It's already allocated in Device output to Aux 3.

I also understand the two settings that are visible in the travel adjustment for Aux 3.

With the exception that you stated changing the -100 to -50 as I mentioned previously I did add the outcome should not have effected the flight characteristics when I activated the GPS mode (mix sw). I don't know why it affected it the Mix (gps mode) either.

My question... is.

Where in the F12E is the setting for the FMOD position 1?

I want to be able to change it's settings on the fly, just as I can fmod position 0 or 2. Which yes, I know are in the travel adjustment menu.

Second question related to..
    You stated FMOD position should be set to 0. Channel 8.
    Where are you seeing that? I take it your referring to seeing those settings in the parameter file not the tx. It's that correct?

Hope that better explains the question.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    The F12E has 4 sliders. I have 5 F12Es. 3 White 2 black.

Sub trim on Aux 3

You can do that by using the FMOD 1 position to mix one of the spare 2 sliders to Aux 3. FMOD is a "Special Switch" and can be used in Mixes and Dual rates exponential etc.

Read this more carefully.

The switch defaults (if you do not change the End points or Sub trim) to:

Low = -100
    Middle = 0
    High = +100

You can see high and low in the Travel limits and the middle position of the switch is seen in sub trim.

If you want to see how the switch operates go to Function Menu Monitor and watch the numbers change as you flick the switch.

Cheers

10. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Well, then I don't have FMOD position 1 showing in mine.
    Or I can't find it.
    I have a position 0 and a position 2 in the Travel Adjustment menu and that's all.

If your not referring to the camera gimbal controls (2 not being used) which I guess are dial trim pots of some type, then I don't know what your referring to as "sliders"...

This would be a slider to me... "Slide pot" slider whatever you want to call it. It sliiides... hence slide pot. Manual or motorized... take your pick.

[​IMG]
    I don't see a channel 5 or a channel 8 in the tx either...

3 White and 2 Black F12E's...?
    You mean 3 Silver and 2 Black...
    I've never seen a white one.
    White is DJI as far as I know.

Nothings going on in the Sub Trim for anything in AUX 3. All set to zero.

Which, doesn't explain why Aux 3 Position 0 set to -100 won't go to +100. It stops at zero. But does nothing in the Sub trim when the FMOD switch is in that position. So it should go to +100... if I'm understanding what your saying correctly.

Maybe it's changed in the parameter file...?

I'm getting tired of writing, reading, and especially working in this thing.

I need a break from it for a while. I've spent a ton of money (relative to my finances) on this bird... It's been 5... 6 weeks now.

And still there's this or that... not working properly, different, incorrect or other wise.
    I'm getting pretty sick of it actually.

Not fun any more.
    The balance beam is supposed to be, as with any hobby... fun far out weighs the frustration/repairs.

I want to take it for a real long distance flight... But...

I don't know... I'm going for coffee..

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016