Scout X4 - before and after... a success story

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by chase, May 1, 2016.

1. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    With mostly issues being posted I thought it nice to post a success story pertaining to the Scout X4.

Here's one such story of my Scout X4 I thought you all might enjoy.
    Perhaps to serve as incentive to others working on their Scout's.

Video is self explanatory...

The last part of the video is a test flight in GPS mode during pretty heavy winds on her second flight/first battery since re-calibration using the compressed suspension gimbal style mentioned in my other post on a Gimbal Ball Protector Alternative. Compression of 1.5mm per ball.

The gimbal servo motors still need some tweaking, the roll especially, but other than that...
    I think she's all good.

It should also be noted
    - I've flown the smaller quads but the Scout X4 is my first bird of this size let alone one with all the features the Scout X4 has. The F12E the first real TX with video feed.
    Yup, I'm a newb and knew nothing of this caliber bird or the Scout X4 in general, so if I can make this thing work again.
    You guessed it, so can you.

Enjoy,
    - chase -

Last edited: May 1, 2016
  2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +429 / 13
    Glad you have finally gotten it sorted out. Looks pretty stable in GPS mode.:cool:

With the first owner there is no such thing as the wrong switch. That was his excuse for the model suddenly crashing.:D

3. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Thanx! I was surprised at how stable it was myself considering the wind (17+ and gusting), a fluctuating 4 to 5 blink SAT lock due to all the power lines surrounding that little patch of land I suspect and I hadn't even run a full battery thru it at this point after calibrating the compass.

The end footage was taking just for me to check out how gimbal adjustments with my alternative damping ball protectors set to compression were looking. I found a use for the footage in this vid.

I realise most fly high in gps mode to check stability of gimbals, I prefer low so I can see details.

It still needs work, it's not rock solid stable yet but it's come a long way from when I first picked it up.

In the previous owners defense, he has almost thirty birds, including an Inspire. He said he hadn't flown her in a long time. And I felt he was being honest with me.

You can hear the motors suddenly shut off. The actual reason, I don't know. I wasn't there.

When I got her she wasn't updated firmware wise and there is a warning not to switch from GPS mode to Manual mode or it could cause the motors to lock up. (Just looked)

Since then, of course I've updated the firmware and in the short flights I've given her, I've switched from GPS to Manual mode several times mid flight with no ill effects.

There were settings that were off but I've put them back to stock. I made only a couple simple changes from stock settings.

So.. I don't know. It's working for me at the moment.. right now, I'd call it a success story.

Still a little nervous flying her, but I'm getting more comfortable as she shows stability. If it stays consistent, then I'll be even more comfortable flying.

It's getting there. :D

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. dk4808

dk4808 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Love the somber music at the first part...

5. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    To complete the story. GCS is now fully functional. BT GCS working great!