Scout X4 battery pack - Fried circuit board

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by chase, Apr 28, 2016.

1. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Two of my battery packs have fried circuit boards.

This one was my fault, the other I haven't a clue why the circuit board went, two different situations, both fried identically from what I can tell, or by the sound of them.

Though Walkera US / IUAS is suppose to be getting me new boards for this one, which these circuit boards are out of one of my original batteries. I'm curious as to what happened.

What components fried on which of the two circuit boards in the battery pack is the question.

I've uploaded a couple pics of both boards, front and back. Seen below.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope you can see them well enough.

What happened when it fried...

I had plugged in the balance side of the charger. Didn't plug in the main leads (+/-).
    Set the charger up for the lipo balance charge.
    Turned on the battery switch
    Pressed the okay to charge at the same time I held the button on the battery to turn it completely on for three seconds.

Instantly - started frying the boards.

I say instantly. The led lights went out instantly. I shut the charger off immediately with one hand while turning off the battery main switch with the other.
    Hoping to save it. Didn't work.. obviously.

Turned the main switch back on after disconnecting all leads from the charger.

The red indicator light came on for second and faded out. (still happens)
    But I could hear tiny popping/crackling inside as one, then the next add the next component went inside. It didn't last long, and if I turned the main switch off, then back on. The same happened till it finished blowing whatever components in that route were done.

Red indicator light still comes on for a second then instantly fades out. Green leds never come on.

But, when the second one did it, while in the Scout. Powered by my comp via usb. The slow red led flashes normally still, the blue gps led flashes normally still.

So I checked this one in the Scout via usb /comp... And the same. Blue and Red leds flash normally like waiting for bind and gps signal indicator flashes normally.

So I presume what ever fried in this, fried in the second. But the second was a new battery, less than a week old, never used actually. And is suppose to have the newer circuit boards in it. I don't know I'd these are the same as is in that one. I didn't open it up.

Due to the nature of the circuit board going out, they're giving me a new one/refund.

It's been a long time since I reverse engineered or trouble shot a circuit board.

I have a multi meter. But a Fluke but a decent one.

Any thoughts on what would have popped on which board?

- chase -

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    What charger are you using. This would never happen on the chargers I use. its impossible.

My chargers will not start without both plugged in.

And the Balance leads are not used for charging only for discharging to balance as the charge is done on the main power lead.

Throw that charger out.

Fluke is a very good quality meter.

Cheers

p.s. Interesting that the BEC is actually part of the Battery.

You should be able to tell what is blown by checking the voltages out of the smart battery connector to the main board.

3. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I used the stock charger that comes with the Scout X4 provided by Walkera.

Same as in this video...

The other two chargers I have, that I could use I suppose, are a couple of Thunder AC 6's that came with my BlueRay Heli.

I also have one of these multi charge things that came with my Scout X4...

[​IMG]

Mines a little different, it has protection on it, but the above pretty much looks the same.
    I haven't used it yet as I'm unclear as to how to set up the charger with it. That and out of 4 batteries, 2 new, I'm down to one battery again. So it's useless with only one battery.

Having only one battery takes all the fun out taking it anywhere. 20 minutes later you have to turn around and go home to charge up... gotta have at least two if not three batteries when taking it out imo. Otherwise... it's back yard flying at most.

Perhaps my posts are a little too long because you're missing or over looking things I've said.

I don't own a Fluke.. as stated. Yeah their nice but the dang things are thru the roof price wise.

I have a Craftsman multimeter.

As stated, it's been way too long since I've traced bad circuits. I'd have to be walked thru it step by step.

Finding out which board is bad... probably the easiest and agreed first step. Then trace it to the bad components.

I've forgotten most of what I learned in my electronics course as I haven't put the knowledge to use in so long..

You don't use it, you loose it kinda thing.

You'd have to literary walk me thru it step by step via this thread. My hands yours only from waaaay down under... :D.

Which is kinda cool that we can do that these days when you take a moment to think about it...

I get amazed by the little things at times most people take for granted.

Anyway...if you're willing, I'm willing.
    Just be patient with me... I don't know all the electronic terms any more either. Just the super basic stuff. lol

And to think the instructor in the electronics course pulled me aside after the first month and told me I surpassed and was asking questions and posing theories beyond the course capabilities to teach me... suggested I talk to a college professor... that was then... fast forward to now... and I don't know squat any more... lol

Last edited: May 2, 2016
  4. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    I thought it was the circuit board.

It's the switch in the center.

For the goof I turned it on, it came on like it should. Tried it again, it worked. Tried it third time and it was popping/crackling at the switch.

Checked the other one. Same thing. Comes on sometimes, most times not.

So both have bad switches it seems.

To help others recognize a main switch failure here's a video demonstration of what you might see.

In my case there's an additional crackling sound at times. Or popping when the switch is activated. I take it it's arcing internally.

Hope this helps.

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  5. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    @ Brian,

I want your opinion on something.

It's hard to see in the pics, but there's a bunch of high points and tails left on the circuit board.

One of the things I do remember from my electronics course was when it comes to soldering in circuit components, you don't leave tails, or high points since they're susceptible to arcing.

Since I've got this thing open, my thought is to nip all the tails off and grind down the solder joints. An overall cleanup of the circuit board.

IUAS sent me a pic of a circuit board replacement, one change or difference in mine to the pics they sent, was they covered a row of high points near the top rear of the back circuit board near the battery connection cables. I take it to prevent piercing the battery leads and shorting.

Shouldn't take long to tidy things up with a pair of small nips and a Dremel. Which I have both.

Any thoughts on the matter either way?

tia,
    - chase -

Last edited: May 3, 2016
  6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    Yes trim them off and get some Automotive liquid insulation and use that on them.

7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    Just thought of something. I don't think the switch is actually the problem. I Think that excess current has been feed through the switch and damaged it.

cheers

8. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Possible...

If the charger shown doesn't charge thorough the balance port, were did the excess amperage come from?

As for the one that went out plugged into the usb on my laptop obviously or apparently the excess came from the feed from the usb combined with the +5 volt feed once the battery was turned on.

??? I don't know Brian. It's getting pretty hard to keep up with this thing going out with new issues every couple days.

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +455 / 14
    I don't use the standard charger there were reports from people that they had issues. I don't know if it was product or process problems.

I use the Turnigy DC 6 and 8 Cell chargers. They will not initiate a charge if you do not have both connectors plugged to the charger.

I have blown one up attempting to do a Resistance test on a 6300mah 6S battery. HK replaced it within 48 hours under warranty.

10. gusmacdaddy

gusmacdaddy New Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    Hey guys, I see this is an older post but I have the same issue with my battery. Do you know anyone that sells this circuit board with the switch on it separately?

Kyle