Rodeo 150 Upgrade Batteries

Discussion in 'Walkera Rodeo 150' started by Dave P, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Dave P

Dave P New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I have been looking for a 7.4v 1,200-1,500mah battery for longer flight times for Rodeo 150. I have bought many different brands, 2 ZOP's rated at 45 and 70'c a Turnigy Graphene rated at 65c. I have even tried some 850mah batteries rated at 80-140c and they all behave the same way...the rodeo 150 flies fine for about 30-45 seconds and then starts beeping. 30 seconds later it looses power. The confusing part is I have a couple of the original Walkera batteries and they are rated at only 30c. Originally I thought it the batteries were loosing voltage due to the EC2 adapters I was using however I had the same results when I soldered EC2 plugs to the batteries I was testing.

Does anyone know if Walkera has something in the Rodeo that recognizes non-Walkera batteries and forces the quad to behave this way? Also if you have found a larger battery that works I would appreciate if you would let me know what it was.

Thanks folks,

Confused

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    Your issue is the larger batteries.

The 150 does not have the power to lift the battery weight so it draws significant current. You also risk burning out the ESCs and Motors.

You are cooking the ESCs and Motors hence the beeping.

Exceeding the C rating only adds weight for zero value. Exceeding the Specs of the OEM battery is ill advised for any drone.

If you want more flight time. Buy more batteries. Also allow cool down time between flights or again you risk burning the ESCs.

Cheers

3. Dave P

Dave P New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello and thank you very much for the response. It all makes perfect sense except for one thing. I have also tried several 950mah batteries that were just 2 grahms heavier than the stock ones and i got the same behaviour. They all were either the same or greater c rating.

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    You need to have the correct mah, weight and C rating.

And most importantly the correct quality. A lot of the cheap batteries manufacturers lie about the specifications.

I have seen 2200mah labelled batteries that were only 1100mah.

There is nothing "Special" about the OEM battery.

If you have a Smart Battery Charger check the mah input on charge and the mah measured on discharge.

5. Dave P

Dave P New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello bjr981s,

I understand what you are saying completely. I do have a smart battery charger and the 950 to 1200mah batteries i have do charge to their appropriate mah rating. They work perfectly on every other quad i have like a couple of king kong fly eggs and others that need higher c ratings.

Even with the 4 oem batteries i bought for the rodeo the beeper goes off and i only have 30 or so seconds before i have to land it. I take the battery and check it with my charger and in most cases it still has 40 to 50% of the power left. Something is not right. If i use a battery that wighs just 7 grahms more than the original but has 300mah more it should last alot more than one and a half minute in total.

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    If it has 40% charge remaining then it is discharged. What voltage per cell were you discharging to? If you discharge below the Nominal voltage 3.7V it shortens the life of the battery. If you discharge to flat the battery will only last about 20 charges.

If you charge the battery and do not use it, then the battery will slowly destroy itself after about 10 Days. You must discharge to Storage voltage or Use the battery once charged.

The flight time on these is about 4 minutes. If you fly longer than that you are destroying batteries.

My comments about the C rating has nothing to do with charging. Are you sure you understand the C rating?

7. Stathis

Stathis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello
    I have the same problem with the batteries and i realize that the batteries are ok and the charger work fine. I am convinced that the problem is on the power board.The new rodeo 150 has different power board than the old one.I decide to change new power board with one of the old version had.My friend Dave p can you tell me if the connector of the power board is built in or has a cable like the old versions?

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    The only other thing I can suggest is that you dismantle and oil the motors. If they are full of grit, or you have non standard props on them. This could account for the huge current drag.