Possible battery issue?

Discussion in 'Walkera Rodeo 110' started by Rockwerx, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Rockwerx

Rockwerx New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello Rodeo 100 fans!

I am curious if I may have a problem with the stock battery for my Rodeo 110.

I Have been flying it in the house for about 6 battery cycles so far. I am learning to fly so my flights are around 5 minutes of quite mild operation. As soon as the quad's battery alarm came on I would land and unplug it. I have been waiting about 5-10 minutes before putting the battery onto the factory balance charger. It has been taking around 45-50 minutes to recharge it.

The battery has swelled up slightly but not to the point of distortion of the cell. You can feel it is slightly puffed with air pressure. From what I read some swelling is normal and that abnormal swelling can cause a dangerous situation. My battery has a build date of 20161226 on the serial number sticker. I have more batteries coming but not Walkera brand so I am pretty sure they are newer stock. Should I be worried about this battery or just keep using it and monitor it's condition?

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    The alarm is not a land now indicator. It is a Alarm that says you battery is destroying itself.

You are meant to time your flights with the timer on the radio to ensure you do not damage the battery. Never go below 3.7V per cell.

Flight time should be set to 4 minutes.

Battery needs to be cold before put on charger.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Rockwerx

Rockwerx New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you for your support!

After watching many Youtube videos on the Rodeo 110 I was under the impression that the buzzer was the battery voltage threshold indicator to land. Now I understand that in order to increase the battery service life one should not wait till the buzzer activates before landing. Thank you for that information!

I changed my DEVO 7 settings from a stopwatch to a countdown timer which should help battery life. To start I set the timer at 4 minutes. After I get my voltage buzzers I will check my battery voltages to determine safe voltage thresholds and adjust my flight times accordingly.

Hopefully this information will help other Rodeo 110 owners.

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    Its a common misunderstanding. Lots of pilots try and wring the last few seconds out of a flight at the risk of battery life.

Just buy a bunch of batteries and fly all day. :) 4 minutes at a time.;)

• Like Like x 1