Poll Which controller

Discussion in 'Walkera Devention Radios' started by StillHIGH, Aug 12, 2016.

Which one to choose ?

Poll closed Sep 1, 2016.
  1. Devo F7

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. White Devo 10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. F12 or F12E

100.0%
  4. Other Futaba, Frsky....

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. StillHIGH

StillHIGH Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    As I'm looking forward to expand my hobby here or some points to consider.

I'm just a week flying with a quad size 250. I have outdated RC experience way back in the 27 35 mhz times. (not so long ago)

FPV is obviously the thing and goggles seems the way to go. though I would start with a screen. as the F12 F12E F7

But I find the white orange Devo 10 really cool. thinking of a diversity monitor a side

So here are the options what should I choose.

When am I going to use 12 switches or even 10.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +313 / 10
    For the more advanced Quads and Hexes, they use lots of switches.

Scout Tali and Voyager use 10 channels and all the switches and levers except 1 the left hand upper trim.

If you go into a multi rotor flight controller that has 8 flight modes you need lots of switches or a rotary switch like they have on the Taranis.

I have just bought 2 Taranis an X9D and X9E they do 16 to 32 channels and a Futaba 18MZH for my scale Heli.

Flying scale can consume lots of channels. Like Radomes, Gun Turrets, lighting systems, audio systems (Mr RC Sound), moving Pilots, smoke systems, drag chutes, air brakes spoilers, slats, flaps, wheel brakes, prop pitch, Swing Wings (F14), gun lights bomb bays, bomb drops etc etc. the list is almost endless.

The other very important factor is the programability of the radio system. The more channels (and expense) the more features.

3. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +313 / 10
    You also need to consider if you are going to stick with Walkera or not.

Also if Voice response are Important and if Telemetry is important.

The best value for money / functionality radio out there is the Taranis X9D. X9E if you want a tray radio. The Horus will be released around January. You can't beat the FrSky radios for telemetry modules at a decent price they have everything imaginable.

A good all rounder is the FlySky i-10. But its a 10 channel.

The best Radio in existence is the Futaba 18MZ WC (Work Champion Edition). Seconded by the Futaba 18SZ. The quality is unbelievable and the programability is phenomenal with these radios. But very, very expensive.

The F12 is twice the radio than the F12E. It has lots of 3 position switches and much more programability. It has a bigger screen but no sun shield. It is the equivalent (even looks like) a top of the line JR unit with FPV.

My radio collection. Not including the budget radios shipped with RTF kits. Not including what I have collected pre 2.4Ghz.

I can give first hand experience for these.

Walkera.

F12E x 5 (Three White sports editions, 2 black)
    F12 x 2
    12S x 2
    12E x 1
    10 x 2 (One converted to Deviation FW)
    8S x 4 (One converted to Deviation FW)
    F7 x 4
    7 x 5

FlySky

FS i-10 x 3
    FS i-6S x 2

Turnigy (FlySky Clones)

9X x 1
    9XR Pro x 1

FrSky

9XD x 1
    9XE x 1

Futaba

18 MZH x 1

35 2.4Ghz radios in all.

About to add either the Futaba 18MZ WC or the Futaba 18SZ to the collection shortly so I can use T-FHSS receivers.

Cheers

4. StillHIGH

StillHIGH Member

Ratings:
    +20 / 0
    HI Thanks for your input.
    I do want telemetry in the future mostly for rssi and power reading.
    • I'm not aware if rssi is possible with walkera 701 RX (will this work WK-CTL01-D)
    • afaik walkera TX only work with walkera RX ? unless modded is this also the case with F12 ?
    • I've been looking (in the past) at Turnigy 9X as I like OpenSource projects. but is it compatible with my 250R or not?
    • There are so many different protocols there is not one controller that does it all?
    For now i'm with walkera and very pleased with my 250(R) obviously as I don't have the issues others encounter.
    The Furious320 also looks very neat. Also looked at the Hubsan X4 h502s as a present for my parents as it has follow me and cheap, but needs a separate controller. ( or modded Devo6/7e/8...)

Might be building a quad/hex from scratch in the future but for now i'm enjoying what I got.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2016
  5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +313 / 10
    No RSSI from Walkera RXs. CTL will only do Temp Voltage and GPS.

Walkera tx can be moded with Deviation FW plus hardware that will support most protocols. but not all TXs.

See here.

Deviation - Home

Your best bet would be a FrSky Taranis X9D Plus. Its open Source. You can mod the Runner for a FrSky RX.or a FlySky RX for the X9R pro open source.

The F12 is not mod supported yet only the 12s