No blue GPS status LED

Discussion in 'Walkera Voyager 3' started by M8A4X, Sep 29, 2019.

1. M8A4X

M8A4X New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everyone!

Just joined the forum because I got an used Voyager 3.
    FPV video is shown on the F12E screen. The drone powers up, the OSD on the devo F12E shows about 13 satelites received with longitude and latitude information. However the blue GPS status LED at the back of the drone (part of the battery) does not show any sign of life. Also I can not enter any GPS based flight modes (position hold, loiter, etc..).
    I can fly the drone manually without problems.

A bit of a background if this helps:
    The flight controller is an FCS-RX701, the OSD/Air unit does not bear a label but is recognized as an BT-2403NA-R0323 in UP02. The control board within the rear retractable landing gear was burnt, I replaced the whole assembly by a spare part. The retract system now works for all three landing gear feet.
    Gimbal control and video broadcast works. The bluetooth module in the ground control unit was broken, I have replaced it by a HC-06 bluetooth module, it seems to work but when i launch the GCS app (Android) it says something like "connection lost" after a few seconds of bluetooth connectivity. The green LED at the ground control unit first blinks, then stays solid, after the connection lost message it blinks again.

What I did so far:
    Flashed the FCS to firmware version "Voyager-3-FCS-RX-701-Firmware", successful.
    Flashed the devo F12E to firmware (whatever it is), successful.
    Flashed the ground control station to BT-2401B, successful.
    Flashed the air unit to BT-2401A, at least from UP02 successful, but a FW read after the flash still shows BT-2403NA_R0323...

The ground control unit is of lesser priority to me but the lacking GPS flight modes are.

Does anyone know how I can get the Voyager to use GPS flight modes?

Any hint is welcome and thanks in advance!

Best regards
    Max

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +542 / 15
    Oh dear, I wish that you had asked the question should I flash anything first.

Are you testing indoors or outdoors?

3. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +542 / 15
    Silly question did you program the F12E?

The switches will not work till it is programmed for the V3.

You also need to do the calibration dance.

4. M8A4X

M8A4X New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi!

Thank you for your support!
    Yeah... should have asked before flashing.

I am testing outdoors, everything besides the GPS flightmodes is working.
    On the f12e I get about 12 to 13 satellites shown in the OSD. Longitude and latitude is also shown. When connected to Mission Planner the correct location is shown on the map. So the FC does know where it is but somehow does not allow GPS flightmodes.
    Also in Mission planner the f12e switch for Manual, GPS, Return to home does work, it is changing the active flight mode (visible in MP) and these again are set to the correct modes.

I did not set up a new Model on the f12e but checked the settings against the manual, everything is set according to the manual.

And yes, did the calibration dance which was seemingly ok since the red flashing led stopped flashing after the dance.

What I also tried latest is exchanging the mainboard including FC (now its a FCS-RX710) from a used but known working voyager (thanks Igor!).
    Checked all settings, did not change anything, same problem. Also the GPS receiver (antenna) was exchanged, no success...

What else can be blocking the GPS flightmodes?

Oh, and because I have never seen the blue led for GPS status at the battery, when would it usually show up?

Best regards
    Max

edit:
    There is something strange in Mission Planner:

On the tab INITIAL SETUP --> Mandatory Hardware --> Flight Modes the flight modes change as selected by switching the flight mode switch on the F12E (selected flight mode box highlights in green).

However in the FLIGHT DATA tab where the artificial horizon is shown the flight mode never changes from stabilize to anything else.

Regarding GPS health: Even indoors with 8 satellites received the GPS shows a 3D Fix, GPS_HDOP shows a value lower than 2 (something around 1,4).

What else does inhibit gps flight modes?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +542 / 15
    Oh, You can't use Mission Planner or load missions you will corrupt your Flight Controller. It is not compatible.

You can only use Mission Planner to backup and restore your defaults settings. It is possible to change some settings but to do that you need an old copy of mission planner.

The Walkera drones use proprietary Flight Controllers and do not update the FW to support SW upgrades.

Check on your F12e that you have correctly setup the flap switch. Use the monitor menu on the radio and ensure that you can see the correct channels indicator moving when you use the switch.

To ensure that you have the correct model settings in your radio. Install this model setup in a new model memory on your radio.

Here is the instructions for model installs.

How To: Update FW and Save and Load Model Configurations from PC to Radio

Cheers Brian

Attached Files:

6. M8A4X

M8A4X New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Brian,

thank you for the model setup file. Loaded it onto my F12E, no change. I can take off and fly in manual mode, but no gps based mode works or activates. Also, no blue gps led at the back of the voyager blinking.

Don´t worry, I did not use Mission Planner to update the firmware of the voyager, I just used it as a "readout" of the flight modes.
    Ok, I did change the flight modes when to be active at which switch position of the flight mode switch on the F12E (on mine, as it is a condense version of the F12E, it is only labeled "manual-GPS-Home" an affects the Gear channel in the channel monitor).

What about updating (re-flashing) the firmware on the voyager by the use of the UP02_Tools programmer (Serial Angel is the .exe to run)?
    But I don´t have the right firmware for the exchange board, as it carries an FCS-RX710 now.
    Of course I can change back to the original FCS-RX701 equipped mainboard.

Thank you so much for your support!
    Max

7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +542 / 15
    Ah, that could be one of your problems.

Also the Condense version will not allow you to set the correct settings for the Voyager 3 or the QRX 350s, Talis and Scouts. As you cant adjust the end point for the Orbit. You have to use the Preprogrammed .bin files. Which you have now done.

This is the other.

The BT air unit will override the F12E there is a way to make them work together but I have forgotten it.

Your FW flash of these units should not have been done. The BT air unit is a specific unit for the V3 and I suspect the you have bricked the unit.

The way to test would be to remove the unit complete from the drone and try and fly just with the F12E.

Walkera firmware updating is something that you should not do unless you have an urgent need. If you do you must have a way back.

Cheers

8. M8A4X

M8A4X New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

hmmm... when the air unit is removed, the voyager will not "boot" completely. The devo F12e also sounds an alarm but does not show what it causes.

There are switches which change between dual control and TX only on the FCS. I tried to switch to TX only (no Bluetooth GCS) but also no success.

Regarding the bricked thing because of firmware flashing, yes, on my original board this could be the case but on the exchange-board with FCS (in theory a completely different Voyager 3 so to say) I did not flash anything.

Seems like a case of a manual-mode-only flyer (well, altitude hold still works :D )

Nontheless, thank you very much for your support!

Cheers,
    Max

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +542 / 15
    You say that you replaced the main FC? It may need to have its default settings done.

Can you use an old copy of mission planner (From our resources section, copy below) and save the settings to your PC and the zip them up and attach here. I will compare with my V3.

Cheers

Mission Planer ( Diagnostic Use Only)

10. M8A4X

M8A4X New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

attached are the settings from the FCS-RX710 (exchange board, unflashed) and just for comparison the settings from FCS-RX701 (original board, flashed with serial angel to original Voyager 3 firmware V1.0).

Thanks,
    Max

Attached Files: