Motor not working?

Discussion in 'Walkera Scout X4' started by JP2005, Aug 18, 2017.

1. JP2005

JP2005 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was getting ready to fly and tested the motors. One motor failed to work. Is this what happens when a motor fails? I checked to see if there was a loose connection in the battery bay but saw nothing. The motor seems to grind a little when I spin it. Battery was low when I tested it but the other 3 worked fine.

I just bought a new motor and only hope that is the problem and not a board. Is a motor hard to install? Do I have to take the whole thing apart. Any good videos to watch as to r and r a motor?

Thanks

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    Sounds like the motor is dodgy if it grinds.

I had one like that on a new Tali.

They are easy to remove and replace. Just make sure you het the correct motor. CCW or CW she one as what is broken.

You can make a motor run in the opposite direction by swapping any 2 wires on the ESC but these motors have CW and CCW threads on the props so the wrong motor will use spin off the prop.

3. JP2005

JP2005 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for the information. Is this usual for a motor to just quit? It does not attempt to spin it just looks dead. Could there be a problem with the ESC? ESC is what the motor connects to in the boom that connects the motor to the main body? Is this correct.

Thanks so much..

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    More likely an esc problem. You need to swap motors to opposite arm to test.

5. JP2005

JP2005 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are ESC like motors are there two different ones that go with the direction of the motors?
    Walkera - Brushless Speed Controller wst-16ah(g)
    Walkera - Brushless Speed Controller wst-16ah(r)

Are these the ones that are needed for each motor? Two CW and Two CCW

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    Motors will go in either direction. But as Walkera use spin on / off props They have a thread direction that auto locks the prop so the motors can only be used in the direction that they are labeled. Otherwise the props would spin off in flight.

The Speed controllers are front and rear. Identified by the colour of the LEDs.

You just connect the three wires to the motor and if it spins in the wrong direction swap any 2 ESC / motor wires

Cheers

So ESCs required are 2 Green and 2 Red.

7. JP2005

JP2005 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Are they the ones that I have model numbers in my last post? I think that the g must be for green and the r for red. I just don't want to buy the wrong ones. Thanks for all your help.

Scout x4

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    Yes. But swap the motor over first to check if its a motor or ESC fault.

9. JP2005

JP2005 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OriginalESC.jpg Replacement13.jpg Replacement14.jpg Well I just bought some new ESC's and they don't look like the one that I have in my scout?
    Here are some pics

OriginalESC is the one in my Scout. As you can see this one has two capacitors on the same side.X402 2.0

As you can see the others that are suppose to replace the original don't look like the same ESC board except in shape.

The following two have X403 1.0 printed on them.

Replacement 13 has two capacitors one on each side. I would NOT know where to solder the connections too?

Replacement 14 has only one capacitor on the top side. I would NOT know where to solder the connections too?

I bought a couple of each as I wanted to have a few on hand just in case. This is why I have both sides in each picture.

Can anyone give me an idea on what is going on with these boards. Are they older or newer? Should I return them I don't want to put any inferior parts into this Scout.

Any help would be appreciated View attachment 1227 View attachment 1228 View attachment 1229 .

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    X403.1 is a later release to X402.2

Where you can see 3 solder points near the capacitors. That where you connect the motors. If the motor runs in the wrong direction swap 2 wires.

The + and - Pads are marked they are next to the capacitors at the edge of the board this is for the Main power lead. And the socket is for the Individual throttle control.

The change in design moves all the high power components to one end of the board and the sensitive components to the other, this helps keep them away from RF noise.

I would not hard wire solder directly but use MT and XT30 connectors. XT30 for the power connector and MT30 for the ESC / Motor Connection.

MT30 3 Pole Motor / ESC Connector Set 16AWG Male - Female (4 sets)

XT30 Power Connectors for 30A Continuous Applications (5 Pairs)

This makes like lots easier to diagnose future issues. By doing plug and play swaps.

Cheers Brian