Issue with video transmitter maybe?

Discussion in 'Walkera Cameras/Videos' started by Muffinman, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Muffinman

Muffinman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi guys,

Getting the attached pic (it scrolls) on my screen from the video feed on the Walker F210. I've tried a few things to resolve;
    - Disconnected the Video TX antenna on the drone - No change (monitor right next to the drone during testing)
    - Disconnected the camera - No change
    - Changed the frequency on the drone - Adjusted the monitor to the new frequency - No change

Would this be an issue with the transmitter? There's a chance that the antenna might be the fault because there was a crash where it crushed the wire. But I tried putting the little antenna from the monitor also into the drone, and no change at all, so figure it might not be after all.

I took the back off the drone, and the video tx chip gets quite hot. Not sure if that's normal or not.

Any help would be appreciated!
    Thanks, [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Rockwerx

Rockwerx New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Did it fail after the crash? It may have damaged both the antenna and the VTX.

I have read that one should not turn on the VTX without an antenna as the main board can get too hot and burn out some of the components. This applies to ALL (not just Walkera VTX) FPV VTX transmitters from what I understand.

There are a lot of options for VTX modules based on my research. I am still learning new things everyday about this hobby everyday. Good luck with your repairs!

3. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    If you run the VTX without the Antenna or with a broken antenna it fries the VTX.

4. Muffinman

Muffinman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bugger. Like ... instantly? in 10 seconds? 5 minutes?

So that screenshot looks like a buggered VTX huh? <sigh> ok time for a new one. While I'm replacing it, worth changing/upgrading the VTX or antenna to something else in some way?

5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    Its about instant with the FCC version and a couple of seconds with the CE version.

Its like having the barrel blocked in a rifle then pulling the trigger. Nowhere for the power to go.

So it depends on where you bought your F210. If you got it with a US power plug it will be FCC if it came with a UK power plug it will be CE.

Have a look at the F210 Race band VTX, if they are still available.

6. Muffinman

Muffinman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Bought from a local shop came with an Aus power plug for the charger. On the bottom is a sticker FCC ID:XXXX so I guess it's FCC?

Is there a way to test the antenna? i don't want to buy a new VTX, attach the old antenna, and have the VTX fry again if the antenna is indeed busted...?

Do you mean these race band VTX? The ones that say FCC? Original Walkera F210-Z-27B TX5828(FCC) Transmitter For F210 Quad Drone Copter | eBay

7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    Thats the one. Get a new antenna. Its not worth the risk. The only way to really test it is to risk destroying another VTX. The new VTX will operate at 600mw if you know how to set it.

Cheers Brian