Is the Devo7 good enough for FPV quadcopter builds?

Discussion in 'Walkera Devention Radios' started by MoyRC, Sep 13, 2016.

1. MoyRC

MoyRC New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Guys,

I’m new into the FPV quadcopter world and therefore need your help. I have a few questions hopefully you can help with. I have purchased a new Walkera Devo 7 transmitter and also purchased the Walkera RX601 6 channel receiver with it.

I’m going to build at least 2 to 3 quadcopters. I'm on a budget so that's why I purchased the Walkera Devo7 which was about $50.00 and receiver for about $16.00. I already order a quadcopter kit that comes supplied with the Naze32 Ver 6 flight controller.

Questions:

Question 1: I will be building several quadcopters sporting Naze32, SP Racing or CC3D flight controllers (which I understand are the better/popular flight controllers). Is the Walkera Devo 7 correct transmitter/receiver for quadcopters I will be building?

Question 2: If I understand correctly the PPM option to connect a receiver to a flight controller is the best option because you only connect one lead between both. Not an option with the Devo 7, is that correct?

Question 3: If the PPM connect option is not available with Devo 7, do I connect the RX601 receiver to the flight controllers the PWM method? Which if I understand correctly, I connect all the individual leads to the ELEV, AILE, THRO, RUDD & GEAR connectors?

Should I return the Walkera Devo 7 and maybe purchase another transmitter that's better suited for quadcopters? If so, which one you recommend that not too much more money (does not have all bells and whistles but has all the essentials for quadcopters)?

Thank you for your assistance!

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
    Its Fine The Devo 7 is great value for money. It has significant programability. But is difficult to program for beginners. We can help you here.

• Q1. Yes it will bind with all you quads you need an RX in each of them and set up a model config for each different quad.
    • Q2. PPM is best but your Devo 7 and RX will not support PPM. Its PWM only.
    • Q3. Yes that is correct. You can buy a single cable lead that apples Ground and Power to 1 connection and a single pin lead for all the other. That makes PWM quite neat. I don't remember where I bought these but you can search on flat cables. It supports 8 channels you just peel off 2 wires to make it a 6 connector cable.

Cheers Brian

IMG_1526.jpg

3. MoyRC

MoyRC New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Brian,

Thanks so much for getting back to me, I was just about to repackage and ship back my Walkera Devo 7 to retailer, but now you've have calmed me a bit. I would appreciate if you can help me with another question...

The only down fall or negative point with using the PWM connection method is the cable mess and extra weight added to quad, is that correct? No limited functionality in any way versus using PPM connection method? In other words no benefits using PPM over PWM method, correct?

Thanks again Brian for all your advice and also for suggesting the cable!

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
    Cable mess (Not if you use the cable I suggested)
    Weight (To small to be of any relevance.)

In some Cases the implementation of PPM is not consistent with the RX and the FC. So PWM can solve a lot of headaches.

Cheers Brian