HOWTO: Using SBUS on Walkera F210 3D

Discussion in 'Walkera F210 3D' started by iskandar, Feb 28, 2017.

Are you happy running SBUS on your F210 3D?

1. Yes I am!

50.0%
  2. Not really...

25.0%
  3. No difference at all.

25.0%
  1. iskandar

iskandar Active Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0
    ***HOWTO: USING SBUS ON WALKERA F210 3D***

CREATED: 1 MARCH 2017
    LAST UPDATE: 1 MARCH 2017

IMPORTANT: I will not be held responsible for any damage/injury due to below instructions as my intention is to only share this information with you. Please proceed only if you agree to this.

Hi guys,

Finally, I am able to use SBUS on my F210 3D after several days of working on it with Walkera. It seems that this will only work with this new firmware provided by Walkera as it allows the quad to understand the SBUS inverted signal utilised by FrSky and Futaba. FYI, I'm using FrSky Taranis X9D Plus (running OpenTX v2.1.9) with X8R receiver on my F210 3D, so happy with it as you can feel the lower latency benefit of SBUS protocol, quite significant I can say.

Your F210 3D must be equipped with power board version 2.1. If you are using version 2.0, you will need to replace it with the new updated version of the power board. How to check? Refer to below attached picture.

One more thing, the attached new firmware will only work for F210 3D, if yours is F210 non-3D, please DO NOT proceed as it will render it unusable or maybe will permanently brick it.

CAUTION: Please remove props before following below steps, safety first!

To use SBUS on your F210 3D, just follow below steps:
    1. Replace stock receiver with Walkera External Receiver and connect your new receiver to it on SBUS port. Use either Futaba or FrSky SBUS receiver (Walkera mentioned that only receivers from these companies are compatible. BTW, Walkera tested only on Futaba but FrSky should be fine as it is using the same inverted signal).

2. Bind your receiver to your radio (you can do this later but it is easier if you do it now) and test. The quad will not respond to any sticks movement as this bind is only between the radio and receiver. The quad will recognise it later after you did step 4.

3. Flash below attached firmware and restore the configuration file (F210_3d_test-a(02_14).zip) using Cleanflight version 1.2.0 only (other newer or older version will not work). This fixed firmware was derived based on version 0.0.5. If you did not have your OSD running on the latest version, please do so as the old OSD version will not work with this new firmware. You can find the latest OSD version (21 Mar 2016) in the Resource tab. Upgrade will require Walkera UP-02 tool.

4. Follow instruction in the attached PDF file to enable SBUS on UART3 and RX_SERIAL for SBUS. Step 3 and 4 are the only steps you will need to use Cleanflight v1.2.0. Other steps in the instruction should be done on your radio and not via Cleanflight.

5. Go to receiver tab in the Cleanflight and the check each channel whether it is responding to your radio sticks movement. Adjust the sticks arrangement accordingly (EATR/AETR/etc). You may need to reverse one of the channel. Do the adjustment on your radio if possible. Unless your radio cannot be programmed, then only do the adjustment via Cleanflight v1.2.0.

6. Below information is needed for you to calibrate your radio sticks movement. If you don't understand these, please refer to Cleanflight help docs. You will need to set it correctly or you will not be able to ARM/DISARM. Again, adjustments should be done on radio, not via Cleanflight.
    set mid_rc = 1510 (sticks should be centered at this value)
    set min_check = 1118 (below this value, ARM and DISARM command will execute)
    set max_check = 1900 (above this value, command will execute)
    set min_throttle = 1150 (minimum throttle to make sure motors start properly)
    set max_throttle = 2000 (max sticks range)
    set min_command = 1000 (minimum range for other sticks beside throttle)

7. On your radio:
    i) Set up channel 5 for MIX switch aka AUX1 (3 steps, for flight modes, Angle -> Horizon -> Acro).
    ii) Set up channel 6 for FMOD switch aka AUX2 (3 steps, for 3D flight modes, 2D flight -> Semi 3D flight -> Full 3D flight).
    iii) Set up channel 7 for HD Camera switch aka AUX3 (2 steps, for OFF and ON, only if you have the HD Camera).

8. Check if failsafe is working properly. In the case of signal lost, the motor will stop immediately. According to Walkera, this is their new failsafe configuration and will be implemented to future firmware updates for racing quads.

I believe that above instruction should covered everything. If you have any question/comment/suggestion, please post it here so all of us can help each other.

Please let me know how it goes for you and how does it feel using SBUS on your F210 3D.

Thank you.

Regards,
    Iskandar Hashim
    Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia

CatchED9A(02-07-17-27-33).jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
  2. JohnEric

JohnEric New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    When buying this powerboaRd how do you know what version you are getting? Is it the one they list as new?

3. iskandar

iskandar Active Member

Ratings:
    +54 / 0
    If you buy from Banggood, it is the new version.

4. nickfreeman

nickfreeman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Iskandar,
    Thank you for the post on using SBUS with the F210-3d. You are correct in flight controller only seem to behave normally after flashing it to the version you provided.
    I have however lost my OSD, even though I was on the latest version (one specified). I tried again and reflashed the OSD to no avail. Any ideas?
    Cheers
    Nick

5. nickfreeman

nickfreeman New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Forgot to mention, I also lost 3D flight Mode.

6. herrbausg

herrbausg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Cleanflight v1.2.0. Find ich nicht. :(:(
    Gibt es die überhaupt noch.

7. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +346 / 12
  8. herrbausg

herrbausg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hallo zusammen habe alles versucht aber bekomme meine teranis nicht mit meiner f210 3d gebunden habe einen frsy XM+ Empfänger

9. herrbausg

herrbausg New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Mein f150 ging problemlos

10. vajper

vajper New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Does anybody know what the difference is between power board 2.0 and 2.1? Is it missing lines for SBUS signal or maybe electronics for SBUS signal inversions? Thinking about hardwiring the receiver to the FC because my F210 wreck isn't worth a new power board :)