Help with betaflight for a Walkera Rodeo 150

Discussion in 'Walkera Help!' started by chartz, Nov 22, 2017.

1. chartz

chartz New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Just got my New Walkera Rodeo 150 all seems to be alright but it will not let me connect in Betaflight 3.2.2. keeps giving the message "Non-Cleanflight/Betaflight firmware is not supported, except for CLI mode" Saw a video on Youtube to set an Arm Switch and A Buzzer switch which I would like to do and other settings. Can Someone please Help me out kinda new to the Racing quad stuff.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +540 / 15
    Arm switch its dangerous and we do not support its implementation here.

Rodeo 150 ships with Cleanflight not Betaflight. They are not the same product and mutually exclusive.

Cleanflight version 1.2.0 is the only version supported do not use current version. 1.2.0 is in our resources section.

3. Jack Ley

Jack Ley New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Well we're all very glad you don't support an arm switch here at this site, you've made that perfectly clear by going around to many posts and stating that, bravo. Too bad the OP's question wasn't about an arming switch, it was only a side note. If you actually read his post instead of fixating on the arm switch, you would have seen that he is getting the same message I am getting..."Non-Cleanflight/Betaflight firmware is not supported, except for CLI mode. BF and CF have VERY minor differences and ARE the same thing in basic terms, but the message clearly states that our Rodeo 150s do not have Betaflight or CLEANFLIGHT software on them, so we were wondering if there is something that can be done about that, other than getting bitched at by a arm switch safety nazi.

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +540 / 15
    You make too many assumptions. Betaflight or Cleanflight is on on the drone. That is why you have to load FW to support one or the other. Don't confuse the PC software interface with the Drone FW.

To answer your question where did you get the FW for Betaflight? If it did not come from the Walkera web site then it will be incompatible.

Walkera Drones are proprietary Flight Controllers and have limited support for generic FW.

Betaflight and Cleanflight are not basically the same thing. They are different implementations of Flight Controller Software and are mutual exclusive for Support and require their own PC interface..

Secondly. CLI stands for Command Line Interface. You can set settings via a CLI if you understand the particular syntax required to do so. But you are still communicating with the FW on the Drone. In the default case from Walkera, that is Cleanflight, and the compatible PC interface version for Cleanflight is in our Resource Section.

If you want to burn Betaflight FW on your drone and it currently has Cleanflight FW you need to Use the correct version of Cleanflight and use it to communicate with the drone so you can burn the Betaflight FW.

Here is the Cleanflight Version from our resources section.

SW:CleanFlight version 1.2.0 F210, F150, F110 Compatible English

Brian

P.S. I had to think for some time whether to answer your question given it was so rude.

I did and you should also. And my Response. You are looking at it from a completely incorrect bunch of assumptions.

He got the error because he is using Betaflight, to interrogate a Cleanflight FW Drone. As I have stated above that will not work in any shape or form. To communicate with a Cleanflight drone you need to use a Cleanflight PC interface. Which I gave him the instructions to find.

And yes, we treat safety carefully here. We do not support arming switches and neither does Walkera. We do support disarming switches and throttle cut.

5. Jack Ley

Jack Ley New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am not trying to brag by any means, but I would like go preface my response with a little of my background so you don't think I am talking out of my rear end..lol....I have been in the hobby almost 6yrs, built and repaired more quads than I can remember. Before retiring recently, I started and ran the drone program at the fire dept. I worked at. I still work with my local volunteer dept. and local police, and their drone programs. I train with them and my services are always available to them. I have a many specialized drones, besides racers/freestyle, from a 7in set up to retrieve smaller drones out of trees, a hextacopter with lighting rig, to a heavy lifter Octocopter with 15" props and and can lift up to 16lbs.

The reason I was rude, is because I don't like bullies, and I have seen many of your posts on different forums before I ever posted. You are arrogant, snotty and talk down to posters just trying to find info out. Our hobby has enough issues as is, we don't need to be driving off potential new hobbyists.

I am fully aware what CLI stands for, and all the syntax used, also know that i am communicating with the flight controller via FW. When I go to CLI with the 150 connected, there is a series of lines and [][[[ type symbols in the command line, and it will not let me type or enter anything.

I know that, the firmware on my Rodeo 150 is what it shipped with, I have never touched it. I had put it on the shelf a year or so ago, and just decided to pull it out the other day and see if it still worked. The only thing I did to it was take out the EU 25mW vtx it came with and put in a 5832US 200mW one I had from my first Rodeo 150 that got wrecked. And yes, I did my homework, I downloaded CF from the Walkera official site, version 1.2.0, and every time I tried to open it, CF went wacko for a few seconds, then opened the newest version. Now I do admit, that could be something I am doing wrong on my pc, I followed the directions exactly from Walkera.com and got the hex file and driver downloaded and installed, if I could get that to work I would probably would be fine. The only reason I want to hook to CF is because I think my vbat setting is too high, I bought brand new replacement batteries for it, that Walkera recommended, and the low batter alarm goes off sometimes around 1min into flight, and the quad loses power. I test the battery afterward, and it's still like at 70%. I tried a 3s on the old crashed one, (it still armed and 3 motors that worked) and with in 30sec it blew 2 ESCs, so can't do 3s.

I'm sorry, but that is just flat out not true. Originally, back in the day, there was Baseflight, due to politics, some devs started CF, and eventually Baseflight went away and there was just CF. Shortly after Boris B created Betaflight, in order to try out new coding for PIDS and other things, before releasing it to CF. After a couple years, Boris's BF had way more content and advanced options that he was trying out, that most pilots were just using BF, so much so that their roles reversed. BF because of branding kept it's name, and became the main config, and CF became the config they tested things on. The two are both open source and owned by the same company/people, they are slowly merging BF and CF, and eventually there will be no more CF. Most flight controllers are compatible with both and have been for a couple years now.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2019
  6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +540 / 15
    You know nothing about me. I am terse in my comments as I am the only one here providing support. I am not as you describe. But you are still rude. And have much to learn.

You knowledge of Cleanflight and Betaflight is not correct. But that's not important.

I have been flying RC now for 45 years.

I assume that you are flying with non OEM batteries. That could be one of your issues. I have written a dissertation on batteries. You should read it. Walkera only recommend their own batteries.

The Walkera OEM flight controller is proprietary. It is configured to operate with the batteries supplied. The low voltage alarm is a latched alarm. i.e. once it detects a low voltage it stays on, even if the batteries then return to a voltage above the alarm.

Changing the low voltage point is not recommended. The voltage of the battery is dependant on its internal resistance and what load it is under. measuring the voltage of the battery without load is not very useful. What is happening. and I don't know why in your case is that the ESC / Props are dragging too much current, and causing a voltage sag. To change this setting would mean that the Sag will only go deeper. In most cases to them point where the Flight controller will reset in mid air.

You had the drone in storage for some time. How did you store the batteries. Were they stored at storage charge levels. i.e. 3.8V per cell?

The other issue you have is easily solved by going to our resources section and downloading Cleanflight 1.2.0. Or at least reading the instructions I included on the download page.

CF and BF are different Firmware's that are installed on the drone. The similarity with the 2 is that they are both Chrome applets. Read the instructions that I posted with the Download and you will have access to the drone from the CF applet in Chrome.

And most Drones are not CF or BF.

They come in 3 basic popular varieties.

1. MutiWii
    2. CF / BF
    3. Arducopter.

The rest are predominately proprietary like DJI.

The FW version on each of these requires matching to the Hardware FC.

Cheers

And as an aside as a White Anglo Saxon Protestant male. I am deeply offended by being called a Nazi.

The same as you would be if you were a black american and I used the other N word to describe you.

Do it again and you will be instantly banned.

7. Jack Ley

Jack Ley New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    View attachment 1883 [/QUOTE]
    Well the OEM batteries I had, were sitting for a while, but my preference for storage voltage on all my lipos is 8.45v and I also try to cycle any ones not being used for long periods of time about once or month or so. I have 4 of the OEM batteries, one of them the cells were off a little, not bad, but more than I liked, so i quit using that one, and the other three tested fine, under load also. After their poor performance I did order some new ones, that were not Walkera, but according to many sites were listed as approved Walkera replacements. I know they could be lying, but the OEM ones are only 5c, I figured that was the main reason. So I bought some nano-techs, 3 that were the same exact 2s 850mah, but with a little higher c rating at 25. I also bought one 2s 1000mah 75c, just to test out. I got about 20-30sec longer flight times from the 3 850mah batteries, and about 1.2min longer with the 100mah, but I didn't like the way it flew with the extra weight, so I only used it once. I have been checking everywhere online and at local hobby shops, and I cannot fine one single article, story, review, company or hobbyist that states the OEM battery communicates with the FC, to determine battery v.batt stats. If it does, then why doesn't it compensate for voltage sag, seems like a pretty poor design if it didn't. Is your paper published/posted anywhere I might be able to read it?

Like I said in last response, I downloaded 1.2.0, from the Walkera official page, READ and followed the directions to a T and it still kept saying that the quad did not have BF or CF on it. If you want to believe that BF and CF are completely different, knock yourself out, but it's just not true. They both dropped Chrome well over a year ago, so neither are Chrome applets, along with BLheli and Blackbox. You would think an expert such as yourself would know that. Yes, certain hardware is only compatible with one or the other, i.e.. BF has many more boards it recognizes than CF (fyi, they are now called targets and a target can consist several FCs and are assigned a target ID number as of BF 4.1, which I've been helping beta test the last couple months) but they have the same code and come from the same developers. Why do you think it's possible to switch from CF to BF so seamlessly. All you do is save your dump file from CF, download latest BF configurator, flash target FW to your board, download dump file into CLI and then type save, and that's it. You can't do that with Arducopter, or MultiWii which btw is all but obsolete. MultiWii is the grandad of drone FW, but it was an 8bit IMU from Nintendo combined with Arduino. Baseflight was a fork off Multiwii and was the first 32bit FW, which is what we still use today. If you're going to show me up with other FW, you should have mentioned KISS, LibrePilot, iNav, Butterflight, Raceflight, theres a ton of them. I posted links and pictures last post as references, but they aren't on there, must of hit the wrong button. But Borris B himself, creator of BF, states they are the same. Borris statement.jpg

[/QUOTE]
    Well first off, that's not what I called you, I prefaced it with the word safety, that term is very commonplace in modern society, it's used in major newspapers, on tv, social media and is considered a whimsical term on Urban Dictionary as someone obsessed with safety. The word feminazi is in Webster's Dictionary, and Seinfield coined the satirical phrase soup-nazi for a character obsessed with soup. Secondly, why would you as a male WASP be offended by the word? I could see if you were of Jewish descent, did you mean it hurt your feelings, or that it makes you uncomfortable, or did you just trip and fall over your racism, making sure everyone knows you are part of a privileged race? Lastly, did you just really compare your offense at being called Nazi to a black person being called the N word?? I had my first job at 14 and have been working my ass off every since, 35yrs, last24 of them as a firefighter/paramedic until I was forced into retirement last year due to PTSD. I worked my ass off for everything I have, and I wouldn't wish my worst enemy to see the things I've seen, but at the end of the day, I'm still a privileged cracker from the suburbs. I didn't grow up rich, but not poor either, I know one thing though, I would NEVER, EVER pretend to know what it's like to be a person of color in this country, and I sure as hell would never compare or try and comprehend what being called a name that hurt my feelings to being called a horrible racial slur as the N word. You threaten me with banning, you think I give one single **** about this site or what you threaten me with?? You can take your ban, and your forum and shove them straight up your fucking asshole you racist NAZI!!! I'll never be back anyway. Go **** yourself!

Flight Controller Firmware Overview - Oscar Liang

Complete List of Flight Controller Firmware Projects – DroneTrest Blog

What is the difference between Cleanflight & Betaflight?

Betaflight Vs. Cleanflight: Which should you use?

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +540 / 15
    You are as usual completely wrong and have interpreted everything form your own misguided perception.

You have proven yourself to be not of the calibre of the members we have or expect here.

You initial statement was to ask for help and at the same time, insult me. Not usual behaviour.

I see you have advised that you are suffering from PTSD. I do understand the consequences of that.

And your language as I said would happen has earned you a permanent Ban.

If you had actually listened instead of taken out your anger on me, you might have learnt something useful for your quad flying.

I will leave you access for a couple of days before I apply the Ban so you can insult me some more. If that is therapy for your PTSD.

You need to remember when your Drone was released and what compatible software was at the time.

The example you quote, are all well and good, for future drones. Not Drones that were released and only supported by Cleanflight 1.2.0.

Your logic is that you should be able to run Windows XP hardware devices and drivers on Windows 10. Or in the case of Cleanflight vs Betaflight. Windows XP devices on Mac OSX.

To answer your civil question.

The risk of a voltage sag is that the FC can reset in flight causing a crash when it Sags. The reason it latches the sag as a low battery warning is to protect you from crashing your drone on the next sag. (which would be the next time you go to extended full throttle.)

Here is info on LiPos etc.

FAQ: LiPo 101 in flight. Props, ESCs, Motors, and Batteries. Oh my.