Hello and Radio Advice Needed Please!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Site Help' started by Darren Fletcher, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Darren Fletcher

Darren Fletcher New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi everybody

New to the hobby, started with a Eachine E58 which I have rightly trashed (still works though no broken props lol). It didn't take me long to get pulled in and hooked. I wanted to start very cheap before going full tilt into things. I have raced RC and Slot cars previously but never flown...always wanted to.

So cut to two weeks later.....I have ordered some Walkera drones, 1-Rodeo 110 and a Rodeo 150. Still a pretty minimal investment while I get my sea legs. This brings me to my question;

In doing research it seems to be better radios available that will allow binding with most toy and hobby drones through Deviation or OpenTX. I want to buy a radio once and be able to pair/bind with my walkera drones and netter drones later on. I have my eye on the QX7s but it appears you have to buy different modules or change the receiver to get it to work? This doesn't seem a great option, in all my optmism I was hoping you could flash FW allowing pairing with my Walkera instead of having to plug in a (JR?) module? I have heard the radios running deviation require only a download for that particular drone to be able to communicate (Like the Jumper T8SG Plus). The newer Jumper T12 comes with Open TX and an included module.

Which of these radios if any will work with Walkera Drones like the 110 and 150?
    Will I need a module if I buy the QX7S? If so which one?
    Will I have to replace the receiver on the drone.....arrrghhhhh?
    I am sure the Devo radio is fine but I have my eyes on much more expensive drones and goggles really don't want to have to buy multiple radios. Great Radio, Great Charger, Great Goggles, rotate the rest as needed or as it expires...lol

I did research all over the forum and others and did not find a clear answer, thanks for your patience in reading my article and hope I asked clear questions,

All the best, Fletch

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
    None will, in reality. Deviation is FW (Walkera only FW) that will allow you to fly Walkera Rx and some JR Rx. Open TX as far as I know will not bind with a Walkera Rx.

You can update a Walkera radio with a 4 in 1 module that will allow you to fly most things. FlySky, Futaba etc.

You would need a Devo 10 to make this work. It does work with Devo 8S and Devo 12S but these have been unavailable for a long time. Pity as they are great radios.

Your other option is to go S-bus receivers that will allow you to bind with most S-bus capable radios but you will need to change the receiver.

Cheers

p.s. Deviation is very powerful FW for a Walkera radio but very difficult to master. If you have not had experience programming smart radios it will be beyond you.

3. Darren Fletcher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much for the reply.

I have read the deviation software is not for the faint of heart, thanks for confirming.

Ultimately I may just have to use the Devo for walkera and QX7s for everything else I fly or build and add the appropriate module as needed. I don’t really want to have to change out the receiver on the walkera unless it was pretty straightforward and I didn’t lose any functionality or run into performance issues.

I guess I would need to research to see which rx might be best ;)

Thanks again

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
    I have 2 Devo 12S's one fo them with Deviation FW and the 4 in 1 module. It sis magnificent and flys everything. The power of the deviation FW is incredible. Once you have mastered programming the Devo you own it is worth while researching deviation and the Module. It does however if you want the module requires a dissemble of the transmitter and some soldering. Devo 8s's and 12's are fantastic with Deviation but you can only buy them second hand. All the other devo's do not have a colour graphics touch display.

Swapping RXs is not onerous its shown in the manuals. On most you can select either S-Bus or ePCM. You just need to find tiny Rx's so you can fit them on the model.

Some pics below.

Modifying the mainboard for the 4 in 1. installing the header pins for plug and play cabling on the 4 in 1. Letraset labelling of the access points for TX switching.

Transparent Gifs of the model pictures when selecting a model. and creating customised screens for each model type.

IMG_1692.jpeg IMG_1690.jpeg IMG_1689.jpeg IMG_1687.jpeg
    IMG_1716.jpeg IMG_1621.jpeg IMG_1624.jpg IMG_1623.jpg

5. Darren Fletcher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Wow, powerful information. I wouldn’t have a problem doing the mod as I have soldered for work and play for 20 yrs. What I was hoping to avoid is swapping modules in the back of the transmitter if possible... perhaps it’s not so bad.

I also have been reaserching this radio which apparently comes with the four in one module pre-installed and runs deviation software. However it is a smaller form factor and the Q7S is a better radio by all accounts. I will research the Devo 8 and 12 and see if there are any good buys out there...

Thank you so much!

Jumper T8SG 2.4G V2 PLUS - 12 Channel Multi-Protocol Compact Transmitter - USA | eBay

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
    Are you making the assumption that it supports Deviation FW? I could not see that referenced anywhere.

It is not a supported radio on the Deviation site.

Deviation - Home

While it would support the physical TX Chip that Walkera use for their transmitters (4 in 1) you would need to check the user manual first to see if supports the Devention protocol.

Cheers

7. Darren Fletcher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Good to know, I won’t make any assumptions on that radio. Meanwhile I have been finding some Devo 12s and also Devo F12E not sure if either of those radios will bind to walkera drones 110,150,210 or 215 models without modification? Will my Devo 7 even work with all those walkera drones without modification?

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
    All Devo radios will work with Any Devo based Walkera drone. (all drones)

Regardless of supported channels. But if the model requires 10 channels then you need to use a 10 Channel radio to utilise all functions.

The F12E is still in production and supports Deviation. As a 2 Channels radio it flies everything. I have 5 of them. I prefer the white sports model.

The drones you mentioned are all flyable with the Devo 7.

The full Radio manual PDF is available in our resources tab.

Cheers

9. Darren Fletcher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks so much!!!

10. Darren Fletcher

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sooooo I received my F12E and it is quite a radio and HUGE and COMPLEX...my question is this. My original thought was that the display function with FPV screen would give a taste of flying that way without the goggles...now reconsidering if this is the right play.

Of the current radios available which radio would be a step up from the Devo7 (I have one of those but wanted something nicer that would fly all the Walkera drones).

These are still shown as currently available on Walkera's site.......any experience with them?

Devo F7
    Devo 8S
    Devo 10