H500 with several problems

Discussion in 'Walkera TALI H500' started by Ketse, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Ketse

Ketse New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Hello all!

I've had and have still so many problems with my Tali H500 (Devo F12E & iLook+ RTF version) that I feel need to start new thread just to list them all while hoping people would comment if they have had similar problems and if they have succesfully fixed said problems.
    The problems listed below are mostly in chronological order and have happened during end of march and april 2015.

Problems that have happened with firmwares 1.2 and 2.2:
    * Landing gear doesn't always retract. All that seems to fix this problems is power cycling battery. I had changed F12E AUX4 setting to +25 and -25 to slow landing gear servo speed down so it wouldn't burn so easily. I changed that setting back to default +100 and -100 but it still randomly doesn't always retract.
    * H500 seems to always show it's altitude wrong. Immedietly after binding it shows on F12E Sensor view screen it's altitude to be 3.1-3.3m. While waiting for more accurate GPS position, the altitude reading seems to rise slowly by 0.1m increments. After about 3 minutes it shows initial altitude to be 4.1-4.5m. This is before unlocking motors, ie. the H500 just sits steadily on ground.
    The altitude value is never below 1m when powering up copter, I wonder if this wrong altitude reading has something to do with some of my problems...?
    Can this be caused by wrong value in GND_ABS_PRESS parameter? Does flight controller calibrate barometer automatically on every power-up?

Problems after upgrading to firmware 2.2:
    * H500 goes completely crazy when switched to GPS hold (loiter) mode. First it banked to right with incredible speed until I switched back to manual (stabilize) mode. It would have crashed to trees if I wouldn't have changed to manual mode and pushed full throttle.
    * H500 can't hold its position in GPS hold, it drifts very much and circles wildly. Wobbles and altitude hold is also troublesome.
    * One time in manual mode H500 couldn't stop descend even with full throttle from perfectly normal descend speed (it descended slower than in loiter modes fastest descend speed). Battery had still 50-60% charge left.

Problems after reverting back to firmware 1.2:
    * Above listed 2.2 firmware problems all went first away when I flashed back to 1.2 firmware. First two flights with H500 went flawlessly. Everything was very smooth and copter kept it's altitude and position perfectly in GPS hold mode.
    * After those two flawless flights problems started. Every time I went to fly the H500 wouldn't let me unlock motors before I recalibrated compass. The flying area has been always same open field in forest where I've flied so far.
    * I tried using manual compass magnetic declination correction, but that didn't do any good. With that H500 seemed as unstable as with 2.2 firmware.
    * Changed back to automatic compass calibration. I went to fly again and first calibrated compass and waited few minutes for good GPS signal. Now H500 was EXTREMELY unstable! It drifted and wobbled wildly and in manual and GPS hold mode it pumped altitude randomly without any relation to actual throttle stick position. Then happened something very weird: it suddenly flipped itself over WHILE IN AIR! Luckily it was only about 1-1.5m above ground when it flipped over and fell to ground. No damage done, one landing gear popped out but didn't break. It was windy weather, but it shouldn't have been problem to H500 because my friend flied simultaneously with his QR X350 Pro and it flied rock solid with manual and GPS hold modes.
    * I reflashed 1.2 firmware and also loaded backup parameters just incase there was some corruption earlier. After that I went to fly, calibrated compass, now H500 flied again perfectly and holded position and altitude with no problems at all. After reflashing everything I haven't needed to calibrate compass on every start anymore.
    * Day after that problems started again. Weather was little windy, once again my friends X350 Pro flied perfectly stable. My H500 however started have mind of it's own again. It drifted quite a lot, but the even bigger problem was again the altitude pumping. I put it many times to 3-10m height with GPS hold mode and then gave 50% throttle just to see how stable it was. Well it wasn't stable at all! It varied altitude wildly all the time and many times it falled several meters all of sudden and almost wouldn't recover from that fall even with full throttle (and everytime that happened with GPS hold mode).
    * Today I went to fly once again, and surprise surprise H500 was unstable. There was some wind and just like before, my friends X350 Pro didn't have any problems. My H500 wobbled in air and struggled to keep altitude if there was even slightest breeze. And that happened even with fresh fully charged battery.

I have changed following parameters with Mission Planner 1.3.5 when I first got this piece of junk:
    * ANGLE_MAX = changed from 4500 to 3000 (lowered max angle 45° to 30°)
    * RTL_ALT = changed from 1500 to 3000 (15m to 30m Return-to-launch altitude).
    * FS_BATT_ENABLE = changed from 1 to 2 (failsafe land to failsafe return-to-launch)
    * FS_BATT_VOLTAGE = changed from 21.4 to 21.6 volts

Can somewhat high magnetic declination have influence on my compass problems? Magnetic declination here is 10° 54' EAST according to site Magnetic Declination

I haven't yet balanced propellers. I just got Du-Bro Tru-Spin balancer, but am still waiting for EJH Precision H500 balancing rod. How big problems unbalanced propellers can generally make?
    I've put some hot glue to motor wires so they wouldn't break at pcb soldering points like many have reported to happen because of motor vibrations. I've also taped arms with silvered copper tape to make them more rigid.
    From about ~25 flights I've had only 3 with absolutely no problems at all.

PS. Sorry for long post.

2. drbob336699

drbob336699 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    heck, i can't even get mine to bind....gear won't cycle, and now throttle is on right where rudder shud be. stuck at 50%.....instructions are
    HORRIBLE... every time i buy something from china, it is a complete disaster. they need to hire a fluent english person to translate.
    $2000, and i feel like throwing it up against a wall and looking for something made in america with a manual that makes sense.

SUCKS SO FAR....

3. Ketse

Ketse New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Have you tried to reload H500 config file with Dfuse to your controller (I'm assuming you have Devo series controller)?
    Also have you ever tried Fixed ID setting? If you have and have now ID number wrong, it won't bind. You can force RX with bind plug to bind again regardless of Fixed ID.

4. Ketse

Ketse New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Alright, I opened H500 case open to see if there was any obvious reason for problems i'm having, and indeed there was! The four screws that keep power pcb in place were all loose and one of them was completely opened already. And when FC is mounted on top of power pcb, it gets huge vibration due to power pcb being loose and jumping wildly.
    So my altitude and position drifting problems in GPS hold most probably have been caused by loose screws. Walkera should use some plastic safe thread lock or glue to prevent any screws to loosen and cause problems.

I fixed screws, put some Sikaflex 521 UV on them to lock them in place. Also gave Sikaflex treatment all around case to stiffen it. And I also got the EJH balancing rod today so I balanded all propellers and most of them were greatly unbalanced.
    After repair treatments and balancing I went to fly. Now H500 was noticeably more stable in GPS hold than before, altough it still is little unstable and during one full battery test flight it wobbled sometimes and altitude holding wasn't 100% perfect. There was some wind, but it was mostly barely feelable on skin so shouldn't have had any great effect on performance.

I would say that my and many others problems with Tali H500 are caused by poorly designed frame which flexes alot and not using any thread lock or similar method for locking screws.

BTW. I have noticed new problem during last couple of flights: the RTL mode doesn't lower landing gear automatically like it used to do earlier. Landing gear works when I fly normally and flip GEAR switch on Devo F12E, but if I have landing gear up and engage RTL it doesn't lower them. I have not changed any parameters relating to that matter. Anyone have any clue or experience on that?

5. drbob336699

drbob336699 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    OK.May have spoke too soon.....I assumed that supplied documentation was all that was available for system. Just checked into walkera website and
    downloaded all the detailed manuals. Maybe there is hope... Will get a few black ink cartridges, few reams of printer paper and start
    making a few books... ! ! ! Will report back in the future....

6. Ketse

Ketse New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Aargh! I'm this close to selling this piece of **** and getting X350 Pro to replace it.
    If there is absolutely no wind, the H500 seems pretty OK. But as soon as there is even slightest breeze it starts wobbling wildly and can drop altitude several meters all of sudden (in GPS hold) and doesn't respond to controls well.

Today was adequate wind with gust. My H500 struggled to keep itself in level with GPS hold while my friends X350 Pro was rock solid. How can these two multicopters be so different?
    I recalibrated compass and after that it started toiled bowling, and my friend has only calibrated compass once when he got his copter, and he hasn't had ever TBE.

I tried to change Rate Roll P and Rate Pitch P parameters, but Mission Planner said that the values were out of range. The default factory value for both is 0.25, but Mission Planner said that maximum value is 0.2? How can factory values be out of range?

Also can the elastomer (Sikaflex 521 UV) I've put to cavities in casing cause these kind of problems? I'm thinking that before I put my H500 away I get new body set and this time won't do any modifications to it.

7. Buzztronic

Buzztronic Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I am gobsmacked a HEXACOPTER is more unstable in mid-air than a quadcopter! It's supposed to be the other way around!

8. Ketse

Ketse New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Okay, ordered new body set and did various things trying to make H500 more stable. These are things I did:
    * Changed new body set, this time didn't use any Sikaflex trying to dampen vibrations.
    * Changed all motor wires to 20AWG fine strand silicone wire, secured wires with little Sikaflex.
    * Retouched power distribution boards battery connector soldering. The factory soldering didn't seem so good and no wonder: the component pad is badly designed. The solder mask opening is too little so connector can be soldered to pad only on it's tip and not all the way like it should be.
    * Reflashed 1.2 firmware just in case and downloaded parameter files from iUASinc company. There seems to be still error in parameter file they supply, the BATT_VOLT_MULT is wrong!
    Very poor work from Walkera/iUASinc. Another Tali H500 owner has notified earlier iUASinc on that, but they seem to be either too lazy or too incompetent to fix that little error.

Here are test results from first flight, there was wind gusts, but nothing too serious:
    Recalibrated compass, waited ~3mins before taking off. Got six blue flashes, so good GPS visibility. I flew first 5 mins in manual mode so compass could calibrate itself more accurately. There was some wobbling but it seemed to handle OK.

Waited again ~3mins before taking off, flied little in manual mode and then switched to GPS hold. H500 seemed to hold it's altitude and position pretty good!
    After last times almost uncontrollable behaviour I was very happy too se it be steady like this again. But it has done this before so I was constantly ready to switch back to manual if H500 would go unstable again.

After about 5 min flying in GPS hold it started to get some serious toilet bowling and time to time it lost altitude randomly. And soon I got early warning from Devo F12E (I've set it to 21.8V) and I started to move to landing point. At this point I had to switch back to manual because the toilet bowling was so sewere that it was almost uncontrollable.
    I started to land H500 but all of sudden I lost control of it. Apparently the failsafe kicked in (set to 21.6V). I have set failsafe to RTL in Mission Planner, but just like in my friends X350 Pro, it doesn't RTL in failsafe even if set to RTL. The factory value for FS_BATT_ENABLE is 1 (land), and I have set it to 2 (RTL) but it just doesn't work.
    The failsafe landing failed miserably. It started circling widly and there was small hill near and becuase of circling it hit to it and tipped over. Luckily soft snow softened crash.

So this test flight gave mixed results. Can't say yet if H500 is forever unstable or if there is still hope for it.

9. james reed

james reed New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    go all the way back to firmware 1.1 mine works great i had the same problem after firmware upgrade ,sounds to me like you got a problem with your gps unit or compas

10. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +408 / 13
    FYI This is 3 year old thread, so I expect that the OP will not respond.

You should update to 1.2 It stops the no spool up of some motors and a few other bug fixes.

I suspect the previous poster used Mission Planner to update his FW that will give him the issues he had. You can use Mission Planner to save and load settings but that is all. If you load FW you get some base settings changed that will cause unstable behaviour.

Toilet bowl behaviour is caused by in inaccurate calibration of the FC or a unusual setting. He also does not know what the BATT_VOLT_MULT is all about. Or about using saved Config files.

Those files that were posted on iUASinc were taken from a working model. So they have settings that are learned settings. Including the settings that relate to the compass and IMU calibration. On a FW update you need to calibrate the compass and fly some manual flights before you switch to GPS flight. Its documented in the sticky thread I posted in this H500 Forum.

There is some quality control issues on these from the factory depending who finally built and tested the model you can have different tuning settings. I have 3 H4500s and 2 Premiums. One of the 2 Premiums was un-flyable out of the box due to an couple of incorrect settings.

So checking and maintaining your settings is a worthwhile exercise.

Cheers Brian