H500 motor issues

Discussion in 'Walkera TALI H500' started by CrashTestDummy, Aug 18, 2016.

1. CrashTestDummy

CrashTestDummy New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello folks! Just wondering if anyone has had the same problem I had and what, if anything you may have done to fix. I have two H500's, the first one I bought had a few minor crashes as I learned to fly it until one day it fell from the sky. I was lucky the videos recorded motor number 4 had stopped working which caused the crash. I decided to just buy another, thinking the crashes may have caused the motor failure. The second one I flew many times, absolutely no crashes, only a couple of times where it would flip over because of a bounce landing. After a few months of flying, one day it fell from the sky like the first one, unfortunately, this time it was pretty high up so it broke several things. I powered it up right after the crash and once again, motor number 4 was not working. This makes me think there has to be some design problem or something as to why the same motor would quit again, especially with no crashes of the second one. I bought a new shell, swapped everything over, replaced the bad motor using spare parts from the first one. All the motors powered up so I went to try it out again. I go through the whole start sequence, try to take off and it flips over. Try again now motor number 2 won't come on. At this point, I am REALLY having to resist the urge to utterly destroy this $2000 piece of sh!t so I just go inside and put it away. Has anyone had this or a similar problem? If so, what did you do to fix it? Anyone have any advice to offer on prevention, etc. I basically had to resolder all the connections since I took a lot of the parts from both to make one good one. Is there anyone out there who would fix this ting for a reasonable price as I'd be willing to pay someone rather than just trash all this stuff. I've bought a ton of spare parts, props, etc. I have both the cameras which are brand new since I use my GoPro, a second brand new charger unit, etc. If I can't get this thing flying again, I'm going to get rid of the whole lot and call it quits. I had planned on starting up a video business involving real estate, etc. but that's not plausible with this unreliable junk. Up until the motor issues, I've had great luck and times flying, none of the issues others have had, both have always flown perfectly until the motor issues. If anyone has anything they want to share or can help in some way, I would really appreciate it. Thanks!

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    The Walkera Tali is hobby grade hexacopter.

You would need a DJI Inspire for what you want to do for a business venture.

It is hard to tell exactlyy what you issue is from your description.

You say motor 4. Did you replace the ESC and the Motor.

Did the motor start again after the crash? Was just the motor faulty or was the ESC faulty

Did you update to the FW version 2.2 that corrects motor start and fly issues?

I had an issue with my First Tali it may relate to your problems.

The issue is the quality control on the glueing of the wiring inside the motor. If it has excess glue it subtly binds the motor and it overheats.

I removed the Outrunner and cleaned up the inner wiring and coils. After that it started working "better" than the other 5. I suspect that I should have done them all.

I would help you but I am on the other side of the planet and shipping is a *****.

Cheers Brian

p.s. Like your car, You do track days as well?

3. Walkera_Lemons

Walkera_Lemons New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    20161109_103546[1].jpg 20161109_102642[1].jpg 20161109_103546[1].jpg 20161109_103640[1].jpg I purchased a tali H500, It flew great for the first two times. Then i had problems of drifting and noises comming from the craft when turning and being hard to control, GPS mode was unable to correct it's erratic flight. I managed to land with a bit of a bump ,enough to break a landing gear.
    After that repair flying was not an option it was too erratic. So i decided to investigate further. Taking off all the props and running the motors ,I found one cutting out. So i pull down the H500 to see the fault.
    I found that the feed wires from the motor looked intact , but when i applied a little pressure found one wire broken inside of it's plastic coating. I re-soldered it which fixed the problem. I then proceeded to silicone all wires from all motors to stop vibration that causes this to happen.
    After going through that I decided to update the software....BIG MISTAKE !!!!! Once I had the Tali 500 back together, The first test flight of about 10 min hovering and maneuvering was ok!
    The second test flight Was DISASTER .The Tali was Hovering about 15 feet off the ground and with no apparent reason the radio controller gave a couple of beeps and vibrates and the Tali took off high speed to the right and flew over the house next door ,travelled about 100 meters then done a high speed dive into the ground.
    The damage was great, So I have now rebuilt, But if anyone has any sort of crash be warned the electronic parts break off main boards and motor control boards. Particularly The capacitors on the motor controllers , If these capacitors don't come right off they can be loose on their legs which makes them faulty. So do your self a favour and support these Capacitors with silicon rubber as just a small crash can damage them and cause flight problems.
    As far as the upgrade in the software I think it's a death wish for the Tali H500 or a deliberate fault to get more money out of Tali H500 owners .
    In the photo you can see the capacitor missing on one motor controller,Yet the other 20161109_102642[1].jpg controller still has one, BUT if you very gently pull on it ,you may find it will slide up and down which means it is damaged so check this. Also the 3 wires that lead off to the motor, right there at the board is where they break.The next photo is how i Siliconed it .not pretty but it does the job!! The last image is the main board that can have components break off reasonably easily. Dont over look this !!! 20161109_103640[1].jpg 20161109_102642[1].jpg

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    Some good advice here. But the FW version 2.2 is a good update. I don't know what went wrong with yours but it would not have been the FW update.

The capacitors are there to help with voltage sag.

The one thing you may be doing wrong is flying the voltage too low on the flight battery.

Do not ever let it go below 22.2 V if you do you are putting extra stain on these capacitors and they can blow. You will also be shortening the life of you flight battery.

If you ever have to change a motor or an ESC you should take this opportunity to use proper ESC and Motor connectors. Having some free slack in the wiring will prevent a lot of stress fractures.

5. Walkera_Lemons

Walkera_Lemons New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    My batteris ,Flight and controller full charge!The wiring from the control module to the motor is a hard wire and just the vibration of the motors is enough to cause them to break especially right near solder.
    as far as 2.2 I have read numerous H500 owners have the same happen to them after the upgrade to 2.2. Ther are evn members on this site that have experienced trouble. I only wish that the H500 was more reliable as they would be the best, but unfortunately even the simple AR Drone is more trustworthy

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    This makes no sense. They are confussed.

Its like saying my cars engine pistons break, because I use Michelin tyres.

There is no correlation.

The reason that people have broken wires after some time is because they do not replace all the props after a crash. Vibration is the enemy on all drones.

Unbalanced props will cause joints to fail and the FC to reboot.

Even new Walkera props need to be balanced. If you get a new bad one it will eventually cause a crash.

Cheers