GPS Modules Technical Discussion, Information and Tools.

Discussion in 'Walkera Talk' started by bjr981s, Jul 29, 2018.

1. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +429 / 13
    GPS Modules Technical Discussion, Information and Tools.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  2. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I have been working on trouble shooting the QR X350PRO GPS feature, trying to improve the position and altitude hold feature (loiter). I acquired the quad earlier this year and it never performed well enough to be used reliably. I will post my experience and progress (if any) here and also any information and data I come across. I hope this will be fruitful for me and anyone who is interested.

Cheers and happy flying.

3. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    So far I have explored the GPS module tried replacing it with other modules available from Walkera and other sources. The original module has an antenna label of '580'. I did not want to separate the module from the mounting disc so I can't say who the manufacturer of the actual receiver module is. Somewhere on this forum it was stated that it is a UBLOX NEO 6M module. Nevertheless I used u-center v.18.05.02 by ublox to look at the configuration settings. Of interest for compatibility reasons were the baud rate used by Walkera and the GPS update rate, which were 38,400 baud and 4Hz (250ms). I did not look at other settings but can do so if there is interest.
    I recommend using the u-center tool to anyone who is curious and perhaps serious about exploring GPS technology.

Cheers.

4. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    General info, GPS basics follow link:
    GPS Basics - learn.sparkfun.com
    A tool that is very helpful to determine the operational characteristics, performance and functionality of a GPS module:
    ublox u-center evaluation software
    Download: u-center
    Release notes: https://www.u-blox.com/sites/default/files/u-center-v18.06_ReleaseNote_(UBX-18033765).pdf
    Needed is a SPI to USB interface and connecting cable for GPS module (I can provide sources on request) and a computer running Windows Vista up to and including Windows 10.
    Useful info on GPS design and more see attached Appnote.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018