GPS hookup to main controller

Discussion in 'Walkera Devention Radios' started by garyparks1949, Sep 21, 2016.

1. garyparks1949

garyparks1949 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, like many newbies, I crashed my first time out and cracked the frame. So, like and idiot I decided to take off the top portion of the H500 which was very easy accept that I had to disconnect the GPS module from the controller to do so. removed the cables from the controller and proceeded to repair the lower airframe where the motor mounts. After having done that I then proceeded to re-install the top portion of the H500 and found that there were no labels on the cable for the GPS and all the connectors are the same accept they each have a different number of wires attached to them and I am unsure as to which cable plugs in where. There are three cables: 1) with 1 one wire 2) with 2 two wires and the third has I believe 5 five wires on it. I know where the one wire connector goes, but the other two I am not sure of and if connected the wrong way it could burn out the controller and/or the GPS which I don't want to do. Can anyone out there help with this?

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +276 / 9
    Its a good habit to take photographs cable connection and complex parts before you pull them apart.

Fortunately all you need to do is fond the correct size plugs to plug the cables minot.

I dont have a set of Pics showing the cables for the Tali yet. Its on my todo list before I upgrade the GPS to dual.

Cheers

3. garyparks1949

garyparks1949 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I really appreciate your input and have done what you suggested, however, the only problem is that two of the connectors are exactly the same size and would fit either way I put them in though one is red and the other is white. That's the problem I am running into here. I don't want to damage the controller or the GPS module by putting the connectors in the wrong slots.

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +276 / 9
    Can you take a pic of the wires and the Connection points.

I should be able to work it out for you.

Cheers

5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +276 / 9
    Here is an internal pic of my Scout the cables should be similar

The Single white wire goes to the RX and the other cable to the FC.

IMG_1200.JPG

6. garyparks1949

garyparks1949 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I appreciate your picture. It does help somewhat, however, your electronics are quite different from mine except you have the fcs-x4. On my fcs-x4 there are 3 cables. The single wire goes on the right side looking from the rear of the aircraft. The other two cables come (1) one connector in red and (1) connector in white. Currently I have the Red connector connected on the left side as you look in from the rear and the white connector on the right side as you look in from the rear. I tried to take off the Top, but several of the screws will not come off and I cannot get it open without damaging the the case. I have opened it a little , but that is all. I am planning on buying a new body and transferring all the electronics to it. That is why I need this information on the GPS connections to the controller. Does that help you? I cannot get a picture of the inside as yet. I am working on a solution to that problem.

Gary

7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +276 / 9
    My Talis are packed away at the moment but I will be doing abgPS update on my test one soon.

When you get the new body and can take pictures let me know and I will make that a signal for me to update mine.

I have about 7 new GPS versions to try out on mine. Some are still in the mail.

8. garyparks1949

garyparks1949 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks for the post. Being a disabled Vet and a Yank, I guess that's (2) two strikes against me...hehe Where do you fly? In the outback? You seem to be quite versed in this hobby. This is my first go at it and I crashed the first time out. It's a bit tricky trying to fly from a wheelchair, but I am waiting for my prosthetics to come in from the Veterans Administration for my leg and then I'll be able to stand again. Anyway, I am just trying to make sure I put the connectors back on the controller correctly. While I can't get the full top off, I can see inside and looking in from the battery compartment (the rear)the single wire connector is on the right side towards the front and the second connector with the red and black wires is connected on the right side as well in the only slot it will fit and the third connector which has four wires and a red connector is plugged in on the left side of the controller. I just need to know if that is the correct way to connect up the GPS to the controller? Hope you can verify it for me. I will say it's a bit difficult to understand all the cable connections without a them having labels or having a cable connect diagram. I used to write instruction books for companies on how to to do wiring and cables systems and Walkera fails miserably in that area.

Gary

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +276 / 9
    Nope your 0 and 0. ;)

Thank you for your service to the free world.:)I plan to go sailing for a few days tomorrow so wont have time to pull a Tali apart.

Will do it when I get back. We all owe you a lot.

Cheers

10. garyparks1949

garyparks1949 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0

Thanks Mate,

I do travel quite often and would love to get "down-unda". Gotta wait for the leg though. It's interesting though in your larger picture of your scout, I can see clearly all the cables, but with the Ty-wrap you have on them it obscures the actual connectors and it only gives a one sided view. If you have the time later could you possibly take another couple of pics showint the connectors on one side and then the other side? I really don't want to cut my current body up if I don't have to. Thank you also for what said about my service. I'd do it all again if asked. When I was in, if you lost a leg you went home automatically. Now you can stay in if it's only one and your job doesn't require you to do any strenuous work or lifting.

Have a great time on your sailing trip.

Gary