generic gps module

Discussion in 'Walkera QRX350/QRX 350 Pro/QRX 350 Premium' started by conner, Sep 6, 2016.

1. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    View attachment 1662 View attachment 1661
    Actually had a rainy/windy day yesterday nothanks to hurricane Florence remnants. So I got the micro minimOSD to work in standalone mode showing battery voltage. current (not life though) and its own timer display. I downloaded the firmware and used the Arduino app to make the changes to the sketch as shown in this video:
    He also explains how to use MWOSD configurator which comes with the download at a minimal contribution of US$2.99 (well worth it) to customize the display screen and upload the changes to the board. All pretty straight forward if you have used Arduino before and are familiar with serial to USB connections and firmware updates. the pic shows my setup. I used the TX5803 from my QRX350 to stream the video to my EACHINE LCD5801D to record it. It looked great. The battery voltage gain needs to be tweaked in the configurator to show correctly. There are many other features than can be adjusted and the text labels can be moved easily in the configurator also. View attachment 1662 View attachment 1662 View attachment 1661
    A connection guide can be found here:
    Minim OSD Quick Installation Guide — Copter documentation

The author also published a second part which shows how to connect a GPS module as well:
    It's not as detailed as Part1 but will get you there. I will try to attach several of the Beitian and Walkera GPS modules that I have and see how it goes.
    to be continued...

Cheers

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  2. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    After some trial and error I managed to get the microminimOSD to work in standalone GPS-OSD mode with all of my GPS modules. I will post a detail account of it soon. But good news for all who want a separate, configurable display of some telemetry and cool flight parameters independent of and in addition to on-board telemetry.

3. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Decided to post screenshot anyway showing indoors 9 sats lock with a BN-880. The AMP and RSSI displays are not live, but batt voltage is.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2018
  4. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I just wanted to post an updte on the CTL01-D telemetry module for what its worth. I managed to acquire a rare WK-GPS, the original GPS module used early on by Walkera for the UFO-MX400 and the follow-up QR X400 and MX400S. It was supposed to be used with the WK-CTL01-D telemetry transmitter module. I could finally determine what baudrate, update rate and NMEA protocol it was using. So here is the answer: 9600 baud, 1Hz update rate and V 2.3 for the NMEA. I can get a display of time, date, GPS coordinates, speed and altitude in sensor view on my Devo F12E and my Devo 8S. I went on to try other GPS modules adjusting the baud rate and update rate with u-blox and could get some to work also. The original GPS module from my QRX 350 pro works and the module original module from the Scout X4 also works. The Beitian BN-880 from Banggood does not work (yet?). It uses NMEA v4.0 protocol and perhaps that's the reason. I tried to downgrade the protocol to V2.3 but it wouldn't accept it. So At this point I gave up on it since I had plenty more options that worked. Didn't test the Furious 320 module because it is currently working well in my Scout X4. So that's my update for now for whomever is interested in 'vintage' Walkera tech. The usefulness of the GPS module with a CTL01-D is very limited and has been surpassed by newer, much more capable systems since the QRX 350 was released. But it was fun to play with.

Cheers and happy flying.

• Like Like x 1
  5. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +482 / 14
    Excellent thanks for the update.