generic gps module

Discussion in 'Walkera QRX350/QRX 350 Pro/QRX 350 Premium' started by conner, Sep 6, 2016.

1. conner

conner Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
  2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    You need to check the requirements for the Compass on a Pro. I don't know if it uses GPS integrated or seperate.

3. conner

conner Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    a integrated compass within the gps module? I thought the module on the landing leg was the compass. im not sure though, Ill look around the internet and see what I can find. and see if there are any data on the module on the landing leg. it sure would be nice to replace with a cheaper alternative
    it has 6 connections
    pps
    gnd
    tx
    rx
    vcc
    boot

I found some data on the walkera module:
    UBLOX NEO 6M
    17802 6

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    Hmm, That looks like a very old GPS configuration. I am not sure you will find anything that would suit.

I tried replacing a faulty GPS module on my G400 GPS helicopter and it fried the GPS and the FC.

5. conner

conner Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    I pulled apart the junk module and found it was a beitian or BeStar BN-880. different than the ublox in my new X350. they are on banggood and ebay, in the comments section on banggood I found someone who used it successfully on their X350 pro. I ordered one up, for less than $20 bucks its worth a shot. should have some results later next week....

the module on the landing leg is a HMC5883L, a Honeywell 3 axis digital compass. I have no idea how all this works, looks like the gps has a compass inside it too

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. conner

conner Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0
    It works great, mounts up and plugs in same as original. gps lock is stable, as good or better than the walkera module, with up to 11 blinks. Its a good quality, economical replacement.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  7. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0

8. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Conner,
    this was from almost 2 years ago but if you are still around, a question: did you change the factory settings in the Beitian880 for baudrate and update rate (and others) and what were they?

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    The Walkera 250 R etc has the Dual GPS you can just buy the spare part. It is plug and play.

10. kmewes

kmewes Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    bjr981s,
    the QR X350Pro, the one I am interested in, does not have a dual GPS. I am particularly interested in the configuration settings of the baudrate and the GPS measurement rate in these modules. They can be configured with ublox u-center to work optimally. The initial settings in the Beitian BN-880 I purchased from Banggood were 9600 baud and 1000ms (1Hz). The Walkera QR X350Pro settings were 38400 baud and 250ms (4Hz). The reason I changed to the BN-880 was that I only got 2-3 'blinks' i.e. 7-8 satellites with the Walkera module and the BN-880 gives me 5-6 blinks regularly. I am using the same settings, 38400 baud and 250ms(4Hz) rate, but the loiter/altitude hold is very unstable. It drifts and jerks in all three dimensions. The Walkera module never did that but sometimes just wandered off in one direction and kept going and I had to bring the copter back manually. Your thoughts?