G-3S works fine on the ground, unstable in the air

Discussion in 'Walkera Help!' started by Vosair, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Vosair

Vosair New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey everyone. This is driving me crazy. My gimbal works great when I test it by hand on the ground. As soon as I put it in the air on my drone, it loses stability and then shuts off, leaving the green light on the controller blinking. Any idea what's going on? Video examples below. I tried using a dedicated gimbal battery to rule out the possibility of a power issue, but it didn't help. I'm guessing it's vibration related?

20190105_105645.mp4

20190105_105807.mp4

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +482 / 14
    You don't have sufficient power to power the gimbal. If you add a second supply you must connect the black "-" connections together to the main power.

3. Vosair

Vosair New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thanks for taking a look. I don't quite understand what you mean about the black negative connections going together. I tried powering the gimbal from it's own 12v battery and it did the same behavior that it did when connected to the drones 22v power.

4. Vosair

Vosair New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Ah, so you're saying they need a common ground? If it's a lack of power wouldn't powering it straight from the 22v drone battery be sufficient?

5. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +482 / 14
    I don't know what the power capability is in the working connections to the gimbal. But if you add a second battery you need to connect the grounds together.

It looks like it has either insufficient power to operate the gimbal motors or there is too much stress in the gimbal motors due to a major imbalance of the gimbal.

The X4 and the H6 have a seperate power connector on the body underside. how have you connected the power cabling on your rig?