G-3S doesn't save motor power and gain settings / where to find firmware?

Discussion in 'Walkera Help!' started by DroneCalzone, Jun 6, 2018.

1. DroneCalzone

DroneCalzone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello,

i want to use G-3S for something other than RX100 but the gimbal settings cannot be adjusted and my gimbal vibrates like crazy.

It's perfectly balanced, and still goes crazy. When i point it down, it goes crazy and in other positions vibrates a lot.

I wanted to intall new firmware, but cannot find it anywhere... Anyone here has it maybe?

Have you seen a similar problem? How can I make this gimbal work? Please help.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    The is a Gimbal calibration video on Youtube. Search for it.

Cheers

3. DroneCalzone

DroneCalzone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    BJR, thanks for your reply, you probably mean this one?
    I've seen it ten times already, been doing it exactly like this guy and the settings are not saved after configuration...

I'm at loss

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    Hm. G3S may be different calibration procedure than a G3D.

Did it come with any instructions?

5. DroneCalzone

DroneCalzone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Every step until the end seems to be the same. G3S has a manual in broken english and it describes this procedure. There is some room for interpretation due to the poor writing, but overall the procedure seems to be exactly the same.

I am able to set the motor power, not sure about gain (doesn't seem to do much) but either way, I press the button the recommended number of times and the light on the gimbal controller shines green, just like usual. So it seems that the gimbal gours gout of the setttings mode... But after reboot, the settings are gone and we are back to square one.

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    How far out is the tune? You are using a different camera. It may not be tuneable for the camera.

Being stable does not mean that it has the power to correct the roll / pitch for a camera of a different weight than it was designed for.

Can you measure the weight of both cameras?

7. DroneCalzone

DroneCalzone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    How far out? I'm not sure. I was able to balance it so that it has about 45 degrees of movement in pitch axis without vibration, but the user wants it to go all the way down.

I think the weight might be the problems, because my setup weighs about 140g while the RX100 II weighs 280g. I checked and it works nicely with the RX100. I tried to get a feel of what torque is applied to the motors with the RX100 on the gimbal and turned on (i turned the gimbal off and rotated the motors with my fingers). In this configuration the RX is top-heavy and front heavy which means there is torque that wants to pull the lens down and then even further (when the gimbal is off and the camera is installed, the camera points down and to the back, because it is top-heavy).

I then tried to create am equal torque using lead weights on the gimbal and on the camera. This gave the best results so far. There were moments where I thought I had it - there were no vibrations looking straight, none when looking down and none in between. When I rebooted the gimbal the vibrations reappeared. That's when I decided that I'm not able to do it by myself...

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    If you are thinking about doubling the payload weight. Give up now. There is no way that will work. Even if you got it tuned on the ground. The G forces in flight will far exceed the ability of the gimbal motors and could cause a burnout and power short, bringing down the drone itself.

9. DroneCalzone

DroneCalzone New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I was only thinking of making the payload weigh as much as it was supposed to weigh (RX100=280g), that shouldn't overwork the motors.

I'm close to giving up anyway though.

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    If you are reducing the weight the motors will be fine. But I suspect would be over torqued (geared) for a half weight payload. And be too oversensitive.