Furious FCS F215 Question

Discussion in 'Walkera Help!' started by AzQuad2018, May 15, 2018.

1. AzQuad2018

AzQuad2018 New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Hello all! I'm new to the forum, and fairly new to the sport. I've been learning as much as I can, and recently chose the Furious 215 as my first quad. I've been learning to fly at a local park with large areas of grass, and almost no people, and it has worked out fairly well so far. I have ran into a problem now that has me stumped, and even worse, unable to fly. I have searched endlessly for an answer, and I've had zero success. Hopefully, someone here can help me get back in the air.

First day flying was great! Second day I noticed that I had lost a couple of the decorative LED strips on the bottom. To clarify, the LEDs were still therer, they just weren't illuminated any longer. I checked the connections, which appeared to be good, so I decided to look into it when I returned home. I went ahead and flew that day without those LEDs without difficulty. I did a quick Google and found a site describing how to use Cleanflight Configurator to work with the LED strips. I downloaded all the files in the Furious 215 downloads on Walkera site. I couldn't get the configurator to connect with the FCS, and after a few minutes trying to resolve that and gave up. It was flying great, and I could live without those LED strips. That was about 8 days ago, and I have been flying at least every day, or two.

Fast forward to yesterday. I was out flying at the park and the quad just quit, and fell to the ground from about 20 feet high. It tumbled on to the grass, where I retrieved it and realized the battery was disconnected. I scolded myself for not being extra careful to make sure it was plugged in and secure. I had done this one other time as well, so I did the same as before. I looked the craft over to make sure there wasn't any visible damage, dusted it off, plugged it in and sat it down to continue flying. Only this time something was different. Instead of the four rear LEDs(which I have had no trouble with) weren't solid blue as they always had been before, indicating motors were safed. This time the lights were alternating between blue and green, and I was unable to unsafe the motors. That is the only thing I can get this machine to do now. Flash blue and green lights. While it just sits there.

I know the Rx and Tx are binding because the LED on the Rx board blinks until I turn on my Tx, at which time it immediately glows steady, and stays that way until I power the Tx off again. Can anyone help with this problem, or suggest where I might find information on diagnosing exactly what is going on. I learned that flying quads is habit forming, and I've got it bad, so any and all help will be greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    You will need to disassemble and check the connections for the RX and the FC. Remove them both. Clean the connections and reassemble. Do not attempt to use latest Cleanflight. You need the old supported version and you must save your setting before you attempt any changes so you can restore if you screw it up.

SW:CleanFlight version 1.2.0 F210, F150, F110 Compatible English

Cheers Brian

3. AzQuad2018

AzQuad2018 New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks for the reply, bjr981s. I really appreciate it. As far as I can tell, the Rx is soldered onto the main board, and the FC connects to the main board via flat ribbon cable. The ribbon cable between main board and FC is easily disconnected and cleaned up. The Rx, on the other hand, is not so user-freindly. It is soldered directly to the main board, so I will double check the integrity of the solder joins. When I chose to purchase this bird, I had hoped it would be a bit more upgrade friendly than it seems to be. It's apparent that Walkera went out of the way to assure that the customer cannot find any information to troubleshoot the system, or substitute a similar component from another manufacturer. That subject is another post entirely.

I really wish there was a way to get at the nuts and bolts of the electronics, and to monitor the data being exchanged by the different components, If I could get the CleanFlight software to install and connect to my quad, this process would surely be much easier. After I posted my question I went back and attempted to get CFC to work for me. I do not have Google Chrome on my laptop, and the version provided by Walkera requires Chrome to function. I went to github to find a work around for this issue and from what I could find there is only one version with a stand alone installer, and that would be the latest, Configurator 2.2.0. I installed that version, and went through the process of flashing the new .hex file from the Walkera site. The flash process was verified and completed successfully, but after I disconnect and reconnect the USB, I am unable to connect the quad to the CFC. I get a "timed out" error message. I tried all the driver suggestions I can find attempting to resolve this, without any luck.This all occurred before your response, and I'm guessing that there are known issues with the version of CFC I installed.

Is there a way to install; the earlier version of CFC provided at Walkera, without having Chrome installed? Also, does anyone know what the different flashing LEDS located on each component board are actually indicating? I would really like to resolve these problems without having to start replacing stuff blindly, and any further suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

• Like Like x 1
  4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    Ouch, You have bricked your FC. You cannot use any version of cleanflight past 1.2.0. Its like trying to install Windows 10 on an original IBM PC.

Cleanflight is written to work on Chrome. You must install Chrome. Just use it for cleanflight only.

Walkera make RTF and BNF drones. They are not customisable. The 215 Is almost customisable but there are limits.

The lights don't give any real diagnostic info for fault finding. Only basic "Is bound", Is "ready to fly" etc.

You can unbrick your FC. You will need chrome and the version of CF I linked. Search the forum for unbricking FCs You have to short some pins and then power it up.

As a word of advice for the future. You cant fix a crashed drone by reloading FW. :eek:

Never, ever use a version of a Software tool that is not provided by the manufacturer.

Cheers and Good luck. Brian

5. AzQuad2018

AzQuad2018 New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks. I will try that and let you know how it goes.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AzQuad2018

AzQuad2018 New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    Thanks again for the help. I now have a working version of CFC that will connect with my quad.. as well as a new install of Chrome(grrr), but at least I can see a little more of whats going on with the FC. I am still looking to find out what alternating blue/green LEDs indicate after powering up my quad, instead of the steady blue "Motors Locked" message that I have always received before it quit flying. Thanks again.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AzQuad2018

AzQuad2018 New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0
    This is a final follow-up for anyone with similar issues that might find this. I found the problem, and it's one that doesn't really surprise me considering how difficult it has been to find ANY information about this quad. I seriously doubt I will ever purchase another quad from Walkera, mostly because of the complete lack of anything resembling customer service. I certainly won't ever recommend that anyone else purchase from them. That is a certainty. The problem ended up being the connection between the Rx and the main board. Rather than connecting the two seperate components with a cable, as is pretty standard with other builders, Walkera, in all their infinite wisdom, decided to hard solder the two components together into one unit. In my case, the problem was a broken header pin that could not be re-soldered. The main board is good, and so is the Rx board. But because Walkera has made everything proprietary, without exception, they will now bleed me for another $70 to replace the whole damn assembly. It could have been a simple $5 cable replacement, but instead I have to replace the $70 assembly instead. IMO, this quad is a badly designed disaster full of regret.

• Like Like x 1