FPV goggles set-up

Discussion in 'Walkera Cameras/Videos' started by mike, Dec 18, 2015.

1. mike

mike New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    hello, how are you guys!

this is my first post here. last year i began looking for a UAV and i choose a QRX350.( not pro ver. )
    price,features & good reviews is why i selected this brand.

the unit is a FPV ver. w/ Devo7 fpv tx. & dv-04 camera. the fpv system work very well but i want to buy a goggle and use in place of the tx. to that end, since i dont know much about FPV electronics i was wondering if i bought a goggle like "fatshark" ( or another brand) that would work without changing out the camera & 5.8 video tx & electronics that came with the unit.

in other words... would a set of 5.8ghz goggles( like a Fatshark) "find" the video signal from the already on-board Walkera
    electronics and just "work"? like i said, i don`t know too much about this so i hope you can help me finding and installing what i need. i hoping i dont have to open up the quad and change out the video receiver or other electronics because i know i will be completely lost.

thanks for any help guys!

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    Fatshark Immersion use different carrier frequencies to everyone else. They can still work but with reduced quality.

All the Walkera TXs use the 8 channels in band B of the 4 bands available.

So the goggles need to be 32 channel so that they cover all 4 bands and you will be fine.

I have a predilection for the SkyZone Goggles. particularly the 3D ones. But they are very pricey.

3. mike

mike New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    bjr,

thank you for the great information! did not know all of that. but let me ask you this...when i go to
    buy a set, will the brand have that information in there specs? i mean, if i ask say horizon hobby
    if their goggles use all 4 band widths will they know what i`m talking about?

and the Skyzone goggles, if i would just buy a set of them, i would not have to do anything except
    turn them on and they will function fine w/ the Walkera equipment already on my qr x350?

again, thanks a bunch for the great info!!!

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    If you ask for Goggles and they are 32 channel you should be fine. Do a check that the Channel frequencies are the same.

This is the B band Walker use.

Walkera-TX-5803-TX5804-Channels.png

This are the freqs used for all 4 Bands on the SkyZone Goggles.

5.8 32 channels.png

As you can see the Band 2 or B band in the skyline is the same as the Walkera. They just label the channels in reverse order.

Any Goggles that have the B band as per the first picture would be fine.

If you look at the Fatshark documentation you will fine the chances are slightly offset. This is a marketing play by Immersion.

Cheers Brian

5. mike

mike New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    thank you so much Brian!

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    Your welcome. Let us all know how you go.

Cheers

7. mike

mike New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I just got around to looking at the Skyzone & Walkera`s "Goggle 2" glasses.
    gee they are very pricey.(imho) I don`t earn a fortune lol. I guess I`ll just save up!

unless there is another set that uses Walkera`s band that are cheaper that I have not seen yet.

I know cheaper is usually crappy but if I can find something that has a decent video & and won`t
    "fuzz" out to a couple hundred yds., I would be happy with that. I don`t ever plan to race any
    uav`s or cover a sporting event or some-such.

any suggestions? since I don`t know about this stuff that much I`ll trust if you say I might as well
    just save up to get the above mentioned.

thanks!

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    Any Goggles that are 32 channel will work with the Walkera TXs

Some will be better than others. Some will have head tracking some won't.

Goggles are expensive and will be a major expense in this hobby. But as long as they are 32 channel they will work with all 5.8 Ghz models and TXs. (Fatshark / Immersion will be slightly different )

Given it will become a universal tool for you in this hobby you should buy the best that you can reasonably afford. You will have them a long time and don't want to keep upgrading all the time.

I am a big fan of the SkyZones and I have 3 sets. My latest set is the White Special Edition 3D version. They are just glorious. I paid $539 from AliExpress.

FREE DHL EMS SHIP Skyzone AIO 3D FPV Goggles V3 White Built in 3D/ 2D mode 40CH 5.8G Diversity receiver head tracking and camera-inParts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

I like the SkyZones as the imbedded front camera is very useful if you need to quickly see what is around you or look at your radio.

The 3D is awesome as you get close up depth perception when you are flying a set course or in close proximity to objects.

But you can buy reasonable goggles for about half that amount.

At the end of the day its your nickel ;)

9. mike

mike New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    yes, I believe you are correct. in the long run, it will serve me well if I wait til I can afford a good set.
    from what I have seen the Skyzone goggles are what I am probably going to buy.

do all Skyzone models have the camera imbedded in the front? being new to fpv and seeing that I have
    always glanced from time to time off the devo f7 screen to look at my uav, it sounds like a good idea to get the skyzone
    goggles for at least my peace of mind.

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +454 / 14
    Yes they all have the front camera.

The non 3D versions are around the $300 mark.

And they all have head tracking so you can program the camera on the gimbals to follow your head movements as long as you have enough channels on your radio.

I have found that the front camera for me is a must have. If you lift the goggles onto your forehead to look around (One handed operation) the perspiration on your forehead fogs the lenses, and it takes ages to clear when you slide them back on.

I don't know why everyone has not adopted a front camera.