Found my new expensive hobby!

Discussion in 'Introductions and Site Help' started by Mr_Drone, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Mr_Drone

Mr_Drone New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hey, so I'm from Melbourne Australia and have wanted a race drone for about 4 years and finally got around to ordering one as a fathers day present to myself from my 2 year old. I ordered a Rodeo 150 (no FPV goggles) and then set upon going to the school ground up the road to fly line of sight on the football oval. Unfortunately before I even got there my partner dropped the Devo 7 and broke a couple of the switches off it.

One of the switches that broke off just so happened to be the flight mode switch; and thus I found it was stuck in acro mode. Given I hadn't flown a drone before I struggled a fair bit and ended up crashing it quite a few times HARD into the ground. As a result of this I lost the video antenna, broke a leg, cracked the fuselage in numerous places, broke the antenna's off, and a few other little bits and pieces.

I got pissed off enough that I ordered another and waited until that arrived before flying again. I used the time in between to learn as much as I could through youtube etc which was very helpful. I also downloaded a simulator to practice on. When it arrived I took extra special care of the Devo 7 (kept it away from the wife!) and finally had a successful flight in horizon mode. I can tell you it was a lot more enjoyable and I now had two batteries to use.

After about 10 flights in horizon mode I made the decision to switch back to acro mode and learn properly (still line of sight). I am now about 20 batteries into acro and finally getting there. I have also ordered some cheap FPV googles I hope will arrive in the next week or two. I have had a few (or more) crashes and have had to poach a few bits and pieces off the first Rodeo; but am now fully into this hobby and look forward to getting better and buying something like a Armattan Chameleon TI at some point in the future!

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +436 / 14
  3. Darren Fletcher

Darren Fletcher New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Great story!

I have been practicing indoors with a cheapo E58 drone and crashing pretty much constantly on the first pack, then tye 2nd and 3rd pack I am actually able to be in the air for a few seconds without crashing. It’s not easy but engaging and fun.....already ordered a 110 and 150 and a f12e radio ....lol

Thanks for sharing

Signed
    Crash Bandicoot

4. Mr_Drone

Mr_Drone New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Yeah I have been looking at Tiny Whoops so I can practice around the house more! I will probably get one for Xmas so definitely looking forward to that! My cheapo $50 FPV googles arrived yesterday and I was surprised that they actually work really well (I can only imagine now how good more expensive ones must be!). For the moment I am really really enjoying the Rodeo 150. Since my last post I have had to salvage parts from the sister ship a couple times (a couple landing legs, and the battery cover clip), but my crashes are now occurring less and less often, and for the most part are less brutal (though I did have a huge crash the other day when I unsuccessfully tried a power loop! lol). This is such a great hobby that is super fun and even my son loves watching me and then running to go pick the drone up and bring it back to me when I crash. I can't wait to see how I progress over time and wonder where I will be at in say a year from now :)

• Like Like x 1