First flight

Discussion in 'Walkera Runner 250 Pro' started by AndyDove21, Apr 21, 2018.

1. AndyDove21

AndyDove21 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I took the leap and decided to clear out a bunch of drones and heli's and start something fresh this summer. The Blade 200SRX, Eachine Racer250, CX2 (v. old) and massive homemade Naza-M 500 have all gone to new owners courtesy of Ebay (keeping my Zeyrok, just love that little cheapie). I wanted something 250 size, but something that could travel at speed, with GPS features and built in FPV. So I bought the Runner 250 Pro 1080p from RCMoment and it came in good time.

Really a thing of beauty in my opinion. It's all well packaged and feels very solid (and heavy). The thin bottom plate is well supported by sides of aluminum - like it would break whatever it hits. I've not crashed yet but I worry a little from other other reviews online that could be expensive to fix. We'll see, because it will happen at some time.

This week I've only been flying it on the driveway, but this morning I took it to a big flying field and let it stretch it's legs LOS. Really solid, stable, smooth and safe. In manual mode it behaves very predictably, and it you feel like you're out of control the GPS switch is close and it snaps to attention, bolted to the sky straight away. In GPS mode the throttle changes to ascent / descent which suits me fine. Feel abit disjointed trying to actually fly around in that mode, I think I'd only use it for hover and pan, then flip to manual for traveling.

Having read some of the negative reviews I was worried about pushing the envelope into RTH and IOC territory, but it handled both perfectly. From a good distance I trigger RTH and it shot upward to gain altitude (while my heart stopped). It then hover, swung around in my direction, flew across and descended neatly and landed about 10ft away from the GPS location.

GPS lock does take a while, in fact I took out my phone and checked the news while I waited, but this is really essential. Since it does the same thing each time I assume it doesn't save it's location from the last flight which is a pity, many GPS's start with the assumption they are within a mile or so of last position and look to the sky for those sats, whereas I assume this starts triangulating from scratch each time.

Headless mode worked perfectly, but I could not get it to circle. That might require some more manual reading. The only other problem is it wouldn't record any video, but it turned out the card was full (doh!). I did record video during the week and the quality was fantastic, but the fisheye is a little annoying. I guess that becuase we use the same lens for FPV where fisheye is beneficial.

Next I'll experiment with my fatsharks (transformers), and I have a second battery on it's way. So far though, very impressed. Note this Pro is running 1.0.7 straight from the factory so I assume it's a fairly late model. Is there anyway of checking.

Thanks Brian for your very descriptive posts on this forum, I think I read every word you've written (~3 times) on the Pro over the last month :)

/Andy

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    Glad to be of assistance. By the time I got to the end of your post I though this guy is switched on and knows the 250 Pro really well. Glad somebody reads my stuff.;)

Thanks for the positive reenforcement.:D

Fatsharks will be RHCP antenna and the Runner is LHCP. Its easier and cheaper to find a RHCP antenna for the 250 Pro.:)

Have fun the 250 Pro is a real good machine. Then you can progress to the F210 3D no aerobatics on the 250 Pro but the F210 3D is a wonder.

Cheers

I am still a heli man.

Here is my cat Buffy guarding some of my Align Trexs from the grandkids.:cool: Plus a sweet Walkera V450D03.
    IMG_2231.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg

3. AndyDove21

AndyDove21 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Actually it was your posts that kind of inspired me as you clearly know what you’re talking about, and recognize the folk who slate the quad without understanding its foibles ;-). There does seem to be a lot of negativity around the Pro which I suspect is born from the advance underdelivering, and some early version problems on a very complex quad. I don’t buy v1.0 of anything!

Since you bring up antenna’s, my Fatshark transformers will actually arrive this week. I was using Eachine’s vr007 but the resolution was kinda crappy so they went along with the 500. The transformers come with a couple of dipoles (not great), so what would you suggest for all three antennas?

PS, nice trex’s. Now there’s something that’ll make you weep if you crash!

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +428 / 13
    Something like these. On the goggles use the Patch for long range and the RHCP for the Drone and the Goggles second antenna for short range.

You will need to keep facing the direction of the drone for the long range patch. With the dbm Values the higher the better.

Aomway 5.8G 13dbi Diamond Directional Antenna SMA RP-SMA For Receiver RC Drone

2x Realacc 5.8Ghz 5dbi 50w RHCP 4 Leaf FPV Antenna SMA/RP-SMA Blue

Make sure you get the connectors correct. SMA or RP-SMA.

Cheers Brian

p.s. Yes I dinged the 500L the other day. I was trying to tune the Naza H flight controller and it would not complete and once you start you have to complete. But ran out of battery and it tipped over on landing as it was fighting me and then cartwheeled when the blade dug into the ground.

The DJI Naza Flight controllers are counter intuitive to program. But I have 2 DJI Wookong H FCs for my Roban 800 super scale Bell 222 Airwolf and my Roban 700 Super scale Jayhawk. SO the 500s are Testbeds for controllers.

The Align 700X is a test bed for Scale rotor heads. The Jayhawk 4 blade super scale head is gorgeous. I am acquiring and building complete scale part for it. Working winches etc.

JH700-1-91c021220a.png
    IMG_2413.jpg
    IMG_2412.jpg