FCR-Runner 250 (R) + DEVO-RX714

Discussion in 'Walkera Runner 250' started by Lerych, Sep 18, 2017.

1. Lerych

Lerych New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Walkera Runner 250 pros!

I was searching for a solution to my problem on this site for several days but didn't find anything.
    I am sorry if I have missed something and started a new thread with no reason but I am really stuck here and rely only on your help. I really hope that someone can help me find a solution.

Couple of months ago I have bought myself a Walkera Runner 250 with following specs:
    - FC: FCS-Runner 250 F3 (not sure if this is another name for CC3D)
    - RX: Devo-RX714
    - OSD: Runner 250 OSD(C)
    - TX: Devo 7
    - VTX: TX5817(CE)
    - PDB: can't identify precisely but it looks very similar to PDB for Advance version

After awhile I have realized that I would like it to have a GPS. But for that I would need a FCS-Runner 250(R) FC and OSD(R) version since mine were not capable to work with GPS.
    So I have ordered these parts and replaced them on my quad. But now it behaves very weird.

After connecting the battery it searches for a TX connection (rear red LEDs blink quickly), then it finds the TX (red LEDs blink slowly) - that is normal behavior I guess. But then in couple of seconds after connection with TX right red LED goes off and left one starts to oscillate so rapidly that from first sight you can even say that it is on permanently. Moreover green and blue LEDs on my new FC (R version) blink quickly (red LED stays on permanently) but I don't know their meaning.
    In this state my quad doesn't arm and doesn't react on TX commands anyhow. So as you can understand it doesn't fly.

I tried to reinstall the original parts (F3 flight controller and OSD(C)) - everything works as required: quad reacts on TX commands and flies.

What checks I have done:
    - Connected FC(R) to a Walkera FlyConfig and checked its firmware version - it says v1.2 (latest as I know).
    - Connected FC(R) to MultiWiiWinGUI that is downloadable together with FC firmware from Walkera web-site (it loos a bit different comparing to standard MultiWii but gives the same info). Here I tried to see how the quad reacts on TX commands, and it seems that it doesn't. But when connecting F3 FC (installed on quad) I have seen the reaction on TX commands.
    - Cleaned Fixed ID from my RX and tried to reconnect TX and RX - connection is established as needed but then the left red LED starts to oscillate again and right one goes off (as was described above).

I did not change the FC(R) configuration and didn't reflash the firmware. Just use everything out-of-the-box.
    My Devo 7 configuration corresponds to the one described in Runner 250(R) Quick Start Guide.

My rough guess is - my RX is not compatible with FC(R). But I can't test that since I don't have a Devo-RX710(R) RX.

Does anyone of you have experience with FC replacement? Maybe someone knows the FC(R) LED meanings? Or maybe someone knows what's wrong with my combination of modules?

I can provide the screenshots from Walkera FlyConfig and MultiWiiWinGUI if needed - maybe they can help.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +392 / 13
    You will never get that to work correctly.

The C and Standard are 6 Channel and the R is 7 Channel.

The main board of the Runner 250 C or standard does not have the correct number of channels from the RX to the FC.
    The Runner 250 (R) FC will only work on a Runner 250 R powerboard. You will also need to replace the RX as the one you have is only 6 channels.

Seeing you have most of the expensive parts already. Order all the parts to build an R.

If you look at this you can see the common parts and the R specific parts. Marked with an R suffix.

Note that you need the R ribbon cables as they are different with more wires. z-23 and z-24

When it is rebuilt you will need to refresh your FC FW and replace settings as your fiddling most likely broke it.

The instructions for this is here.

Runner 250 Advance Firmware

Cheers Brian

Runner 250(R) parts list.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lerych

Lerych New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Thank you Brian!
    Ordered the remaining parts as you suggested. And will update the FC FW as soon as I have everything.

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +392 / 13
    let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

5. Lerych

Lerych New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,

After waiting for a long time (shipping company has lost my order and seller was forced to resend it) I have finally received all the required parts and reassembled my drone.
    I was able to upload the firmware using FlyConfig software.
    But I am having problems with loading the settings file - MultiWiiWinGUI can't connect to my FC (R):
    upload_2017-11-5_13-44-57.png
    What could be wrong? And what should I do to load the settings file?

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +392 / 13
    I assume you selected the correct com port?

Did you have the battery connected? If it was done on a low power USB port it can screw up the update.

Try doing the FW update again.

7. Lerych

Lerych New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Of course I have selected the correct COM port.
    Regarding the battery, I tried both variants: with and without it connected.
    Moreover, the USB port I am using is designated for phone charging. So I assume it is not low-powered.
    I have tried to update FW again for couple of times more and then go to settings upload - no luck.
    What would be the correct procedure (if for example I am wrong about the USB power)?
    Smth like this?
    1. Update FW with battery connected
    2. Connect MultiWiiWinGUI with battery connected
    3. Load settings file

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +392 / 13
    The settings is a file download not upload.

It is possible to do a FW update with the battery off. Its also possible to survive a 5 story fall. ;) It's just not recommended.

Have you been able to load the FW or not? I have lost track if you cant load the FW and / or cant load the Settings.

If a USB Cable / Port is designated as a charge port it does not have the data connections, it just has power only.

Use a non designated port / cable and have the battery connected. And make sure you get the device drivers loaded.

Cheers Brian

9. Lerych

Lerych New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Brian,

Here's the full explanation.
    I am able to upload the FW - connection with FlyConfig is established successfully.
    But I am not able to to connect MultiWiiWinGUI to updated FC.
    In both cases I am using the same cable, USB port and COM port.
    Computer USB port is used for both data transfer and charging. So I guess it is the right one if it allows me to connect FlyConfig to FC.
    So I'll try to update the FW with battery connected once more and then try to connect MultiWiiWinGUI with battery connected again.
    If that doesn't help I'll try another USB port.
    Will keep you posted.

Thanks!

Cheers,
    Val

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +392 / 13
    Ok thanks. We have covered the basics.

Whats left is the install of MultiwiiWInGUI.

I suggest that you do a uninstall.

I assume that you are running WIN10.

You should load the Walkera supplied .NET Framework. Even though you have later versions installed they may not have compiled the code correctly with the appropriate .net compatibility configuration lists.

Then install it again and make sure that you remove any Chinese characters in the install path names.

Hope that gets you further along.

Cheers Brian