F210 Modifications

Discussion in 'Walkera F210' started by tryon.ted, Mar 10, 2016.

1. tryon.ted

tryon.ted New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hey I'm curious to see if anyone has tried switching the stock RX module out with something different like a FRsky. I think I want to do this eventually if possible so that I can use a Taranis 9XD+ or something with better range.

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +326 / 10
    The Walkera RXs are good for 2 Klm? Are you attempting to fly past this range?

3. Mybradybunch

Mybradybunch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I absolutely love my rodeo 150 as well as my f210 3D, the rodeo was my entry into quads and I enjoyed trashing the first two with the Devo 7 extensively. After getting past the learning curve of just learning to fly(acro mode still being something I only attempt in brief spurts on days I'm feeling super froggy) I ordered my third rodeo with the comfort of having replaced enough on the first two I was comfortable enough to fly it like I stole it and by that time had researched and gotten a little hands on enough to know that a good radio is a long term investment and purchased the FrSky X9E tray style radio as I found more comfort pinching. And by the time I was ready for that I ponied up for the F210 3D on the same order. I will say, there is a steep learning curve when going to a radio that you program the parameters on yourself, but after hours upon hours(and that's not even close to the hours upon hours you think I mean) reading up on and soaking in hours of videos on the functionality of the taranis, it was all more than worth while as I'm using the FrSky XSR on the rodeo in ppm mode using the Walkera external receiver converter and just removed the telemetry wires from the XSR and configured in cleanflight and would never look back(my soldering skills are lackluster at best so the plug on the converter was just easier at the time but I'm sure there's many other ways, either by ease or cost effectiveness)....I'm using the FrSky X6R that came with my radio and it's in ppm mode as well as I couldn't get cleanflight to recognize it in sbus and don't really need 16 channels anyways with the way you can program multiple functions with a single switch on the taranis. But the f210 was much more involved and I enlisted the help of really knowledgable guy at my local shop(thanks Ryan at Hangar18Hobbies) and we worked through it all together and were able to set up some really useful custom switches. So short answer long, yes, you can use FrSky for all your wonderful Walkera quads and in my opinion get better functionality for such awesome quads and it's because of the 150 and 210 that I have been building a parts list of all sorts of different components to gradually narrow down for my first build.

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +326 / 10
    FrSky, great radios. I have X9D Plus, X9E and a Horus X12 on pre order.

I have bought the external RX connector for my F210 3D I will be installing a Tarot Futaba S-FHSS RX on it. going to fly it with my 18MZH

Cheers

5. Mybradybunch

Mybradybunch New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Have you gotten your external receiver connector yet? Are you running/going to run it in Sbus? If you do/are and have gotten it working I'd be grateful if you could show me your settings or anything "extra" you might have/have had to do to get it working correctly whether through binding or cf settings in the cli or something....I don't know how much the lower latency would be to my advantage as I'm not super efficient in acro or 3D but I don't notice anything remarkable as is as far as lack of response, this quad is to me, a perfect bnf/rtf for the price point and I just got some triblades in(let my daughters pick the color, so I now own some super purply ones) but I guess what I'm getting at is, comparatively like the triblades to the stock, there's a huge difference and do you think it would be like that between ppm and Sbus

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +326 / 10
    Yes I have all the parts but not the time to put it together yet. I'm on another project. ;)

I don't expect the s-bus to make any difference. The difference will be in the quality of the radio.

The 18MZ is a $2.5K radio.

Cheers

7. droningon.co

droningon.co New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I'm really struggling to get my external RX module to work with my X4R module and my Taranis. Its all hooked up in SBUS mode, I can see the channel inputs moving in Cleanflight on the Receiver tab (demonstrating that the RX and FC are talking) but the F210 3D just beeps continually at me when I plug in a battery and I'm unable to arm/disarm the motors.

Has anyone any ideas?

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +326 / 10
    Walkera channel order is EATR. Most likely you are sending AETR swap the channels 1 and 2 on your Tyranis.

9. droningon.co

droningon.co New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    I did originally change this via Cleanflight, but should it be done on the transmitter for the Walkera's version of the firmware?

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +326 / 10
    Do it on the FrSky Transmitter. You cant change any settings via Cleanflight the FC will ignore them.

The Walkera FCs are not generic FCs they cannot be configured like a generic Flight controller.

Cleanflight is only supported by Walkera to load firmware updates and setting updates to make settings compatible with the FW update.

And to change the RX modes i.e configure S-Bus or PPM.

Keep us informed of your progress. Cheers Brian