F12E switch replacement?

Discussion in 'Walkera Devention Radios' started by eulrich1, Mar 17, 2016.

1. eulrich1

eulrich1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi, by chance does any one have any info as to how to open the radio to replace a broken gear switch? Not much luck searching for it here or any where..??

2. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hey eulrich1,

have you taken a look at this page?

inside WALKERA Devo F12E

It shows the insides of the F12E for reference.
    - or is your question on how to actually open it up?
    If so, though I haven't had to open mine up yet, I take it the four main screws on the front is a good starting point.
    Looks like it just splits in half from there.

Hope that helps,

- chase -

BTW- How did your gear switch go bad?
    - if you don't mind me asking that is.

3. eulrich1

eulrich1 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi Chase, I finally figured out how to open the radio.If you look at the grips on the sides you will see a small relief,pry under the relief and the grips will come off.Turn the radio over and on the back is 4 allen screws that will allow the front and back to split. The 4 allen screws on the front are not used to hold the front to the back. My radio arrived in the mail with a broken stalk of the gear switch, now that it is open I will replace the switch with a better design. By the way, I also discovered one of the gear switch wires where it passes under the screen hinge assembly had pinched thru, probably if the stalk had not been broken when you raise the screen for flight it would not allow the gear switch to work which would be a difficult problem to diagnose to say the least. So, in this case replacing the switch found a bad wire also.
    Thanks for the link on the radio.
    Bill in Oregon

4. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    Hey Bill,

Glad to hear you got it open. And thanx for the good how to.
    Yup those are allen screws on the back, when I looked at mine the other day those holes are so deep to get to them, I thought they were nuts from the front screws. But I see it now as well as the relief on the grips. Good eye!

Sorry to hear your TX came in that way. My Gear Switch was loose when I got mine (second hand) with my X4, but I just tightened it up.
    In doing some repairs which include to the landing gear, I too have been finding pinched wires. For me in the landing gear servos.

My solution thus far is to cut a small path way so the wires can tuck down or out of the way and/or use a touch of hot glue so they don't get pinched again. I use a Dremel for this but a small file set will do most times as well.

Again, thanx for sharing how to get into the F12E. The knowledge will come in handy if the need ever arises for sure.
    Keep those Props Turning!
    - chase -

Edit: I just downloaded the F12E manual, I didn't have one in my RTF kit, you can download it here. On page 11 it gives detailed instructions on how to open up the F12E.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
  5. DIYdrone

DIYdrone New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0
    • Like Like x 2