Dual/multiple battery charging?

Discussion in 'Walkera Rodeo 150' started by gbgkille87, Aug 14, 2016.

1. gbgkille87

gbgkille87 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Anyone who knows a good charger for charging 4 or even more rodeo 150 batteries?

anyone who can post a good charger for this from ebay or banggood?

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    Any decent LiPo balance charger will be fine but you will need to make up your own cables.

You wont find a multi balance board with EC2 connectors.

Here is a picture of one that I made up to charge 3 x 2S battery with any type of output plug for a reference.

It uses the outer two pins of the balance leads to charge the battery and still allows it to balance through the balance lead.

It works with chargers that check both the charge output connector and the balance lead.

You just need to make sure that you set the charger output current to just under 3 x the charge C rating of the batteries if you do 3 at one. or 2 x for 2.etc. You can add another 3 way splitter to each of the main 3 way legs to charge as many as you like. I have charged 20 batteries at once.

IMG_1473.JPG

3. gbgkille87

gbgkille87 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

So this one will not be working?

EU Warehouse | JJRC H8C DFD F182 F183 2 to 5 Charging Cable for 7.4V Battery

i have order me a new charger then the one that came with the rodeo 150, i have order this one:

Eachine GEMINI 2100 AC/DC 2*80W Dual Balance Charger Discharger 1-6S for NiCd NiMH Lilo LiPo LiFe PB

Ok with this new charger i can charge 2 batteries at the same time.

------------------------

why do i have to have the EC2 connector if i make a own cable that can charge 3-5 lipos? is it just not the 3-pin connectors to the charger and the batteries i have to use only like the original walkera charger?

so with the connector cables if im using eachine gemini and i have connected 5 batteries of rodeo 150 7,4v 850mah to 850x5= 4250Mah that the charger should pump in to the battery cable splitter? but then i must have 1 EC2 connectors per every battery connected or?

4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    Correct this will not be working. :)

The charger is OK. But it wont charge the F150 batteries. It does not come with the correct charge leads. EC2 connector.

To charge the F150 Batteries from this charger you will ned to either:

Build a charge cable.
    Buy 2 0f these charge leads, with an EC2 connector.

EC2 to Banana Plug Charge Lead Adapter (AU Warehouse)

Cheers

5. gbgkille87

gbgkille87 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0

how come i must use this; EC2 to Banana Plug Charge Lead Adapter (AU Warehouse) and not just the 3pin cable like i do on the walkera Gd005 charger? why is the EC2 needs to be connected ? :)

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    All quality chargers charge through the battery power output port and balance through the balance port.

They check both ports before starting the charge to ensure that you have not misconfigured the battery charge settings.

Without the EC2 charge leads the charger will not start.

You have to have both battery leads connected.

Thats why you can see in the picture of the cable I made up I connected the Balance port leads to the charger output of an XT60 connector.

So I can use a XT60 charge lead and multi charge batteries through just the balance port. (it tricks the charger)

Cheers

7. gbgkille87

gbgkille87 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    Ok Ok :) but if it trixs stick it can make my other batteries to explode or?

The all 4 must be on like 10% each for everything to work? if 1 of the batteries would be 50% and the 3 others would be on 10 % then the one with 50% would possible overcharge and explode or set to burn? sorry for maybe stupid questions :p i must see it in real like a youtube video to understand that its working that way :p

8. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    OK,

Have you ever heard of parallel Lipo packs. Like a 3S2P pack? That means it has 2 3S packs (2 Serial 3S packs) in parallel inside the wrapping.

Having Lipo Batteries in parallel is also used a lot in flight to extend flight time.

Charger vendors have been selling parallel charge boards for a long time. E.g. see link below.

2-8S Balance Charger Plate Board XT60 Plug T Plug For Cellpro PL8 PL6 308/3010/4010 Charger

So it is not a dangerous practice.

For the F150 it uses EC2 connectors and there aren't any parallel change boards with EC2 connectors.

So you either buy the charge leads and charge one at a time or you make a cable like I showed you.

I don't have the time to make videos but here is a photo of 3 F150 batteries on charge.

You just set the charger to the charge rating of each battery times 3 for 3 batteries 2 for 2 1 and 1 for one The charge current for a F120 battery is .8 Amps.

If one battery is full and one empty it wont harm the battery but it will not fully charge the flat one.

The only thing you should not do if you use the cable without the charge leads connected is that it charges through the balance plug.

So don't try it on 3 6S 10,000 mah batteries charging at 30-60 amps.

So 3 F150 batteries = .8 x 3 amps is 2.4 Amps. So set the charger to 2.4A charge current.

Cheers Brian

IMG_1482.jpg

IMG_1480.jpg

IMG_1481.jpg
    Note the 1.2A shown here it the charger ramping up after the cell test. It then goes to the 2.4Amps charge cycle as per picture 1.

• Like Like x 1
  9. gbgkille87

gbgkille87 New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0
    what is the name of the white connectors you got on the cable you have made? i cant find them when i search on ebay/banggood

10. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +456 / 14
    The connectors are XH balance lead connectors. The clear covers are balance lead connector covers.

Use a 2S balance lead connector cable and solder a pigtail JST connector to the outer pins of the female end.

Li-Po Battery Balance Charging Extension Wire Cable 20cm 2S 3S 4S 6S

JST Connector Plug With Connect Cable For RC BEC ESC Battery

The buy a JST to XT60 cable.

1 Pair XT60 Male Female Plug To JST Plug Adapter Connector

Then use a 3 way splitter to charge 3 batteries. 4 splitters will charge 9 batteries.

3 x Upgrade 7.4V 1000mAh Li-Po Battery & 1 to 3 Charging Cable for MJX X600 X601H RC Hexacopter

You can see the 3 way balance lead splitter in this pack. I bought 4 of these battery sets as I have 5 MJX600s.

You can also just buy more extension leads and join them yourself.

Good luck its easy to do.

Cheers Brian