Devo 7 Trim setting (+ a couple of noob questions)

Discussion in 'Walkera Runner 250' started by Mwood, Oct 24, 2017.

1. Mwood

Mwood New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Hi there,
    New to the forum and new to the new fangled digital TX, so this may seem a silly question but here goes:

Because i'm not used to a digital TX, do i really need to hammer the trimmer a good few times before there is any effect as the increments are so small or are they somehow locked and need unlocking in the controller settings??
    Also if i do get them adjusted to compensate do they remain saved when the controller is turned off?

As far as i can tell i am flying in 'beginner' mode??
    I checked and the TX came factory set like this Vid:

Hold/Trn = Down/Off

D/R = Up/off
    FMOD = Down/Off (Beginner mode/ Manual mode) I think?
    Gear = Up/Off (Cam start/stop rec or Still image capt)
    Mix = Up/off (GPS off/hover/RTB)
    Aux 2 = N/a

Would someone be kind enough to explain in crayon what the ones in red do the manual explanation is a little confusing?

After initial setup, first compass calibration (i didn't realise at the time but missed step 3 the Yaw rotation)
    I also started to performed the recommended 3 'first flights' (Low hover and make 2 slow 360 left rotations, land power down, disconnect battery, rinse and repeat to the right and again to the left)

However from first takeoff i was getting some minor Pitch forward and Roll right drift which i found somewhat awkward to control so they turned into small donuts rather than static turns :D i'm used to flying right throttle not left!
    ( I have very poor dexterity in my left hand)

Any how, at some point during this i realised that i had not performed the 3rd step in the compass calibration. Thought it may have been down to this and i then performed the Calibration over again, correctly this time... Still the same issue Slight Pitch forward and and Roll right at neutral stick!

So i've pegged it as a slight imbalance somewhere, though don't think its weight distribution as i have made sure the battery is correctly balanced!
    (in fact i'm a little dubious as in order to get it to balance at the correct point the factory supplied battery is almost halfway out of the carriage o_O (Is this normal?)
    Because it is only a minor drift i thought i would correct with trim on the TX, however attempting to adjust the trim seems to have no effect at all.

I will swap the TX to a right throttle when i get chance, but i need to wait until the Mrs is out... it was a present and she'd have a fit if she caught me pulling it apart less than a day after giving it to me!
    Don't mean to sound negative, but this would not have been my first choice for a quad either i would have gone with a 400 size given the option!

Runner 250R Advance 'Deluxe' (RTF inc Goggle 2 + 1080p cam)
    Firmware Unknown (Not competent to plug it into a computer and screw around!)
    Devo 7 TX (Firmware 0.5A - will double check and edit if necessary)

Thanks in advance and sorry for yabbering on a lot....
    Ahhh the Joys of getting old, you start to talk a lot and instructions dont sink in properly! :(

2. Mwood

Mwood New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Scratch most of the previous post now, kept scouring the forum and came across a few more archive posts that made more sense to me than the manual!
    Hold/trn, D/R and Aux2 are not in use with oob settings (however manual states aux2 is not in use but fails to mention the other 2)

Trimmers still appear to do nothing though and no change or acknowledgement on the tx display that they are being adjusted! The trim symbols on the display still show neutral trim after repeated presses.
    Not sure if this is me or possibly a fault with tx ?

Sorry to jump the gun with my noob questions there!
    Feel silly now :confused:

Edit:
    Ok Had time to take the TX apart and swap it to a right throttle.
    I also got time to run through a couple of batteries this evening. Feeling a lot more confident now i'm back to a familiar control layout!
    Managed to get the trim working as well after a little more trial and error, It's such a simple thing but it seems you have to hold the trim switch for a moment before it will then start to adjust.

Now i'm feeling comfortable and have it trimmed right, i'll take it out into the field and have a proper fly around.

One last question that i'm not 100% on!
    When trimming throttle up, should the props be actually spinning when throttled right back or should they just be on that borderline where they kind of 'coast to a stop' rather than stopping dead?
    Props start up with throttle trimmed +12-13% I have definitely read on here that is way too high and should only be around +9% max in which case props are not even close to spinning up!

Last edited: Oct 25, 2017
  3. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    I have been on Hols otherwise I would have answered this earlier.

Seems you have gotten most things sorted out now.

Right Stick throttle Mode 1 is the only way to fly. For some reason the Americans started flying mode 2. I guess for the same reason they drive on the wrong side of the road.

Set the trim all back to zero. And yes the battery has to be half out the back to get the correct CG.

If you have trim applied it will effect the hovering in GPS mode.

The throttle trim should also be 0. Do not listen to the noobs on Youtube and forums about the flip of death bug. There is no bug. Its just what its meant to do in manual flight mode.

If you drop the throttle to 0 the props stop and the a drone glides like a brick. But it is a great aerobatic manoeuvre.

Just don't drop the throttle to zero in manual mode.

If you adjust the throttle trim up it will screw up GPS mode.

I wrote a special Devo 7 model configuration that has a throttle up switch that advances the throttle trim and disables it once you go to GPS mode and Vice Versa.

You will need to buy a Devo 7 UP02 Tool to be able to install it though. The Devo 7 does not have a USB port. The tool provides the USB interface.

Here is the link in our resources section for the config and instructions.

Model Configs Devo 7: Runner 250(R)

Dont use trim. Learn to fly it that way. You cannot trim for all flight conditions or Wind conditions.

Its not like trimming a fixed wing.

Also flip it into GPS flight and it will hover in the one spot and not drift.

Keep asking questions and we will sort you out.

Cheers

p.s. Great wife..

4. Mwood

Mwood New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Thanks for the advice, was sort of starting to think this was a dead forum lol

I'm waiting on a genuine Imax b6v2 charger, spare props and 2 extra Zippy 2200mah 40c batteries in the post atm

So even when correctly balanced it shouldn't be trimmed to compensate for any drift!
    I'm in a large closed warehouse atm so I know I'm not trying to correct for wind. Trying to trim for that would be pointless lol
    I seem to get gyro rotatation around the rear left motor, is this an imbalance in the motor that is causing this?
    I've swapped prop to opposite side but still same rotation around rear left motor when hovering.

I had a rummage through all the various cables that came with it as I thought I'd seen a usb type device but no joy! The devo 7 appears to have a port... well a cut out that's kind of micro usb shaped (dead center back, just above battery cavity) with a rubber plug but no actual port! I presume that must be for a higher spec version then!

Is this the correct up02 device?
    Walkera UP02 Firmware Upgrade Tool w Adapter For Transmitter Receiver BF | eBay

One Last question: firmware, multiwii and wingui for multiwii....
    Should I, shouldn't I?
    Is it or isn't it compatible?
    Seem to find a lot of conflicting info on this and what versions should I use if it is Ok?

I'm pretty useless when it comes to software side, updating firmware and adjusting things ( took me 3 weeks to figure out the firmware and get my 3d printer to work, but had it built in 4 hours lmao)

5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    Yes. This will allow you to update the FW and save and load model configs on the Devo 7 radio.

If you are getting Gyration. That is Yaw. Then you have a problem with the Calibration. I hope you did not calibrate it inside the shed?

Calibration must be done away from all metallic
    object. (no Phone in your pocket) and out in the open air away from any magnetic anomalies. The shed would be a huge one.

You must only use the version of software that comes with the Walkera FW update. Using any other version will corrupt your settings.

You have asked the correct question. Most people don't ask and end up in a mess.

Cheers Brian

6. Mwood

Mwood New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Errr, :rolleyes:

I may have calibrated it in the warehouse, next to the Tx, with my phone in my pocket and radio on the bench next to me:confused:

I checked the bench was level though;)

Best go into field and re-calibrate it now :)

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13

:):):):):)

8. Mwood

Mwood New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    Heya, back again!
    Working much better after calibrating away from metal objects :)

Been getting some good flight time in now i have a stack of batteries and a decent charger.
    Weather is rubbish here now but I can still get a good 4+ hours a week in the warehouse.

Then I had a misshap and clipped a light fitting breaking one of the dal 5x4.5x3 and only spare props were the originals, so I popped those back on and away I went again!
    :eek: not the cleverest idea tbh, the difference in performance caught me off guard a bit (well a lot actually) and overshot a corner like a rocket!
    Managed to get it slowed down a good bit but still ended up rear ending a steel which surprisingly only broke the xt60 off the main board and destroyed the camera (No idea how the camera got wrecked from a rear ender o_O)
    When I stripped it down it turned out the xt60 was badly soldered to start as both solder joints were dry it had popped clean off the board and the pads were completely intact! Good on this ocassion. But bad overall as they would have eventually broken due to vibration when ive gotten more experience and probably fizzing round a whole lot faster and higher!

So I'm now flying Los again as they want stupid money for the replacement camera (£80-90) the only reasonable price i can get one and its been out of stock the last 3 weeks!

I'm looking to take the dive with a full diy build! Since I have the Devo 7 I can use that for a new build...
    So what I'm wondering is, do I have to use the Devo 7 with a Walkera receiver like the RX1002 or can I use any more commonly used rx like an frsky or flysky that has s-bus or ppm?

[Edit]
    Oh, and i'm still waiting on the UP02 connection lead to turn up... according to the tracking info supplied it arrived at the local post office 14 days ago strange!
    Even more strange that the local post office does not receive mail for delivery! it goes up the road to the local sorting office for delivery!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2017
  9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +415 / 13
    Walkera is a proprietary protocol just like FrSky, Futaba, FlySky, JR ect.

You can however install a 4 in one radio TX module that will talk to all those proprietary systems. And install Deviation SW on the radio Devo 10 or 12

It is not installable in a Devo 7 though.

So you will need a Walkera RX to operate. But the RX will be dependant on what the Flight Controller your DIY drone requires. PWM, PPM, S-Bus etc.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Mwood

Mwood New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    PPM and SBus seem to be the favoured 2 types of input on the FC's giving the widest choice so i was hoping for one of those, preferably PPM as i believe SBus is just the Futaba version of that protocol anyway!

As i am just testing the waters (basically just wanting to build a little indoor safe 130 so i can annoy the Mrs over the winter) it's -3c here and have had rain and sleet for the last couple of weeks now...
    Hope your enjoying your Summer time over in Sydney? Not jealous or anything :p tbh, i'd settle for your winter time all year round back here in pommy land :D

So i would be fine to use my Devo 7 with the RX703A i've since come across which has PPM/PWM