Devo 7 RX and Fixed Wing ESCs Discussion

Discussion in 'Walkera Talk' started by Blackroadster, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Blackroadster

Blackroadster Active Member

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Brian I have nothing to contribute to the non binding Heli Rx, but I do have an Rx question.
    I have several Devo Tx's because I Add almost all my compatible aircraft to the memory and haul only one radio most outtings.
    That brings me to the Walkera RX701 7ch, I found while scavenging parts for the P-51B. I read that this Rx will work with Devo 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, & 12F, so in thought, I should be able to use as a traditional Rx to my active Tx and just add a model and program my needs.

On the other hand, I keep finding listing for the same RX701 listed for sale as: To be used with Devo Transmitter 6, 7, 8, 10, 12, 12F UT18 or TTA6 Tx's (facsimile) of actual #'s not in front of me.
    Should I be looking at my Tx's for a reference? All my Walkera purchases are direct or from Banggood with no ending designations.
    Its not easy to find DSSS receivers with compatability to Walkera's transmitters. Hope one of those old school Rx701 7's with dual antenna are worth pursuing, as a worthy receiver. No hurry, I don't expect to be airworthy until Monday. Haha
    Banggood is back ordered, but never proposed any designation to the Devo Tx, other than works with 6-7-8-10-12 & 12F. I need a 7 CH min to do retract and drop tanks. So there's my RX question. Happy Flying!
    Chuck

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +394 / 13
    RX701 will work just fine with the Devo 7. Its actually the RX that ships with the Devo 7 if you buy it without a model but with rx.

Make sure you program the radio to Airplane as it defaults to CP Hell with the flap channel as pitch.
    That catches a lot of people out with their Walker drones as the reprogram their radio but forget to change it to Airplane and leave it as Heli. Then they complain when they crash it on throttle up as the mixed pitch with throttle changes flight modes on them as its on channel 6. The flight mode channel.

Cheers

p.s. Quit looking for DSSS rx's they are not compatible with Walkera models. Its like FHSS not all FHSS is compatible with Futaba.

3. Blackroadster

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Thanks, I appreciate the expertise when it involves Walkera products.
    I read a lot of reviews and the 701 has good reception and range.
    It was rated superior and I hoped it was Devo Universal.
    I ordered 3 extras, while there in stock. I'm really counting on electric to screw my (on hold), 17 yrs project through the air as calculated. I've converted to brushless motor, 45 amp ESC, all I need is the right Rx. Well, some good weather would be welcome too.
    I did a dry run on my Dad's antique Cirrus 900 FM (50mhz) 10 CH. No ESC used, so no motor spin, all the servos worked great! The flap horns have not been positioned or installed on those "monster flaps", but their ht servos worked as did the retractable Gear, everything else is a Go. When the RX's show, I'll pick a slot on the Tx and program a new model as an airplane, name it and run through the menu & make sure my first historic flight doesn't turn out to be history! Thanks and Happy Flying!

4. Blackroadster

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Hello Brian. Well, Banggood came through with my 701 RX's in the post. Forced to work today, so I was pleased to have yet another piece to the puzzle arrive.
    I had no problem binding to the RX and I set it up as model #5, named it P51 or P51B, can't recall, but I did the Fixed ID and set it as AERO. I plugged in all the servo's, but disabled the retracts from accidentally firing and slamming down on the dinning room table.
    I have never used Devo electronics in my airplanes before, so here we go!
    Things seemed to be going great. I turned on the Tx, turned on the Rx, it bound instantly. I have elevator, rudder, ailerons and the slot wired to the gear switch, I used for the flaps until I am ready to swap out to the retracts.
    Here's what I'm having problems with, I've been flying Walkera Hell's and drones so long I wasn't sure if my final outcome is correct.
    As soon as I plug in the Rx, we have all of the above, except Throttle? Well, I assumed (bad idea) that I just needed to pull down & cross the throttle, all it did of course was turn the rudder.
    I looked at the Tx and it looked OK, so I took an un-bind plug and started over with the same results. (Yes, the definition of crazy is doing the same thing over and over whilst expecting a different result).
    I was wondering, what does it take to spin up, another ESC? I put the throttle to Full Up and a few seconds later, it chirped at me, so I lowered the throttle to 0. From that point on until unplugged and restarted it spun up every time and could only be disarmed by unplugging the juice. This feels like the old days but, on the other hand, wait for it------does this sound correct regarding the set up or have I missed the boat. I didn't walk away after arming the throttle, so I don't know if it disengages after X amount of time.
    I drove it around my great room and if this is something you can elaborate or collaberate on, I welcome your input on this set up.
    I would fly it tomorrow, but not finished. I will set up dual rates ultimately, but not needed to fly at the moment unless there's an issue with what I've done so far. Nothings bolted down yet, so just whenever you get a chance, and thanks up front. I wouldn't ask if it weren't a Devo.
    Happy Flying!
    Chuck

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  5. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +394 / 13
    You need to calibrate the ESC with the throttle.

1) Remove Prop.
    2) Put throttle all the way to the top.
    3) Power on Model. (ESC will recognise that you want to do a calibration as its full throttle on power up.)
    4) Reduce throttle to 0
    5) Remove power.

The is a standard procedure for all ESCs that are not controlled by a flight controller.

When you power on the esc it should beep once for each battery cell. So 4S 4 beeps. 5S 5 beeps etc.

Cheers Brian

6. Blackroadster

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    Thanks Brian. I'm glad to here this input. I needed to check prop balance anyway and that will be a fine time to do so.
    I was surprised that my 40a ESC arrived without promised hook up sheet in the Banggood description, so other then you confirming that I'm hooked up properly, I need to calibrate, and from then on it is correct to bring the throttle to 100% , wait for a cell count and it is armed until battery is unplugged or is there a motor disarm? Don't give this much thought as I'm used to arming models, that were hot as soon as they bound.
    I'm more concerned that you have me doing something I wouldn't know was working properly or not until airborne.
    Well, I just need to measure the throws on elevator & rudder. I have full ailerons and two stage drop flaps switched, but need to reverse that servo, but I think I need more rudder & elevator from what I just sized up visually.
    I have that extra channel for drop tanks, but seriously, I thing I'm going to wire it to switch the 5v vtx/camera micro 110 degree fpv camera I bought & BEC or UBEC I don't recall, but it's the match to give me a voltage drop right off the input to the camera not to overload the ESC any further. I think they say four servos is the specs though 7, are fine as there not or rarely in play together, unless you get caught in a cross wind on landing while deploying flaps and gear, even that has been considered.
    I appreciate as always your vast knowledge into Walkera, but as there international engineer I expect nothing less. Haha. I've been looking at some of your more technical posts and I truly think with China becoming more capitalist, you have a valid claim for unpaid wages in IT.
    Hope you have a great weekend and thanks again. Happy Flying!
    Sincerely,
    Chuck

7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +394 / 13
    Hi Mate,

ESCs don't have any specific arming procedure, just the calibration procedure. The Arming procedure on the drones comes from the flight controllers.

Off topic and will move at some stage.

Been working a couple days a week for an interstate regional bank here, so have been a bit tardy here. So i have picked up a few more models.:)

This one is nice.

EPIC VICTORY airliner 90mm EDFjet single/twin EDF jets with PolyCarbonate coated Promotion-in RC Airplanes from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

The twin, and its $500USD to ship.

6 S version 90 mm fan ducts fed JP Metal units 1750kv-in Parts & Accessories from Toys & Hobbies on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

A pair of these all metal fans I will be spinning them with special motors at 83,000 revs. Woo Hoo. Normal and Counter rotating.

Using these ESCs With Full Onboard Telemetry from the ESC and the Radio Rx with the Air module. (GPS and Altimeter). The Graupner gear is really cool.

The Graupner gear.

Brushless Control + T 160A HV ESC - BEC Telemetry

mz-24 PRO 12 Channel 2.4G.HZ HoTT Color TFT Radio System Mode 1/2 (Red) | Graupner USA

GR-24 PRO 12CH Airplane Helicopter Multirotor Gyro Telemetry Receiver | Graupner USA

And a couple of these for individual cell voltages and motor temps. The ESCs provide Temp, current, voltage, battery usage, etc as well.

HoTT Electric Air Module 2-14S Vario | Graupner USA

And the good old GPS.

HoTT Alpha GPS and Vario Module | Graupner USA
    Also equiped with vario.

Does logging etc. You can program the telemetry announcements for landing glide slope management.

Mine will sound a lot better with the JP fans.

Cheers Brian

p.s. Could get interesting. The fan blade tips on a fast dive could go supersonic.

8. Blackroadster

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    All I can say is brilliant! I am going to reevaluate some of my list for my FIRST Jet, an F-16 Tomcat and your next jet? First Jet? Is a real looker. I struggled with design, but I grew around F-16's so I bought this over the little Lear that I always wanted for a few years.
    I like your pick a whole lot better as I have a friend that I catch a ride with occasionally. Interestingly enough, your baby reminds me of the limited production Eclipse Jet. Its small and loud and your there!
    It just may be me, but there close and yours is going to be a looker. If you already fly jets, tell me if I need to be educated before taking to flight.
    That's a while off. I am building another warbird before doing the jet.
    I will however do more research as I have not started ordering for that build and I would like to have the best and I too am very concerned with how my jet will sound, so I'm going to do some homework before I decided how to out fit. I think I'll get some time on the flight simulator between now and then. I use flight software and choose different rotors or fixed and fly the computer for many years. The jet has always been the most crashed of my practice picks.
    Thanks and you have to video the maiden flight for posterity at the least.
    Good luck and I have my plane balanced & ready to go! The wind sock however, says differently.
    Happy Flying Brian!
    PS I drove down the street several blocks with the Tx and my wife on the tele and I was able to control the plane about a half mile away, so a very good RX and really super fast binding, trouble free. Thanks

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +394 / 13
    Yep the Devo is good for 2 klm in the air. Its a good radio.

I have the Freewing F16 Fighting Falcon. 90mm with an enhanced fan. And 2 F14 Tomcats ( Dual 80mm) one with 12 blade fans and out-runners and the other with 12 blade fans and in-runners.

I have nearly all the available jet models and warbirds (I collect things) The Skyflight models all have plastic small blade count fans. I replace all of these with either Freewing or JP enhanced fans. I have the F18 Hornet Skyflight and it even has folding wings.

I am going to do a complete build blog on some of these models. Including the Jayhawk its getting the complete scale treatment. I will be building a lot of printed scale parts. I am still collecting pilots and crew uniforms. The missus is going to help make them as close to scale as possible. I picked up a scale winch for the Winch pod, its really cute.

Here is a pic of the winch. And less than half my model collection.

IMG_1770.jpg
    IMG_1644.JPG
    IMG_1643.JPG
    IMG_1640.JPG

10. Blackroadster

Ratings:
    +32 / 0
    I
    I can't wait to show this to my wife. I think you may have saved me.
    I'm fortunate enough to have two residences, one in a small town 10 miles south of here. I have a lot of those little aluminum cases and models in all stages, but many new in box. BTW, the jet I'm starting is an F-14 Tomcat not an F16. Ha ha
    I just spent mothers day as a huge gathering of family 150 miles from here. My cousin and previous business partner was there and we haven't gotten together in 10 years, he recently moved back from South Florida, Head Man in Charge for the Colliers of Collier County Aviation, Ft Meyers, Fl .
    I took my roadster with a trunk full of drones and pictures and he and I took a quick spin to his warehouse and I was awe stricken! He's got one off everything. He's also an A&P + multi engine, jet and helicopter pilot. He has a Mig 21 that he maintains and has use of. We just about left our wives and mom's 88 and 91 to go flying, but our better senses won in the end. It was a fantastic day and we spent a good bit talking about jet models as he has several on order and several he flies. He hooked me up or soon to be hooked up with his best friend who owns a huge hobby store in Tampa. I just mention his name and things are suppose to get sweet.
    In any case, we had a spirited conversation about jets and why the hell we haven't been getting together like the old days. He showed me video with regular and advanced 12 blade fans and my, my... they sound like the real deal.
    Well, I saw that winch with connector, that's really authentic scale class and functionality puts it over the top. Nice item. I like quality reproduction.

I wish my better half enjoyed life after real flight as much as I always have, but she just tolerates and helps me get out the door, but she isn't as thrilled. Like they say down here in this redneck hell hole, some times you get the gator and some days the gator gets you.
    I don't say that, but I have to live around it until I can retire & move along.

Brian, keep up the good work and if you need an extra set of eyes trying to nail down some specialty parts, let me know the scale and what you want and I'll try and help you track it down.

I see OKLETMEGODOWN has his pro back together and having binding problems so I'm going to see if he posted some info I asked to see, hope I can get him airborne. I think he's replaced everything but the FC and I'm doing some online research, I'll be online another hour, so that would be a nice end to today's festivities.
    Good Luck my friend and Happy Flying!
    Sincerely,
    Chuck
    PS Cousin's got a VR450 heli I'm going to fly this week or next weekend. It depends on whether I go to work all week. Take Care.