Devo 10 Question

Discussion in 'Walkera F210' started by mikldav, Oct 24, 2017.

1. mikldav

mikldav New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hello all,

So I'm a total newbie and still learning on how to do everything. Theres one thing I wanted to know, and couldn't seem to find an answer searching online... (I wish to extend the range of my F210 3D)

When deciding to replace the Devo 7 for the 10, do I need to buy the external receiver adapter as well? I found out that for other non-walkera transmitters this needs to be done.

Can the same receiver be used that's already in the F210 3D - or said above needs to be done to accommodate the Devo 10?

Finally, and I'm sure these questions have been posted ad nauseam - Once this is all done, or perhaps before hand, your settings need to be backed up from cleanflight prior to using the new transmitter?

Apologize if my questions seem far out. Appreciate the help!

Cheers

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    Hmm,

Devo 10 will not give more range to Devo 7. All Devo RXs are compatible with all DEVO TXs. So you do not need to change the RX.

Do not touch the cleanflight settings. Ever......

You will need to program the devo 10 with the settings from the drone user manual. It wont provide a devo 10 setup. Just follow the Devo 7 instructions. Its mostly the same.

Cheers Brian

p.s. All the Devo radios from the Devo 7 upward have exactly the same range.

3. mikldav

mikldav New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Appreciate the reply!

Duly noted on what not to do haha, thank you! Does that also apply to calibration? i.e. re-calibrating the drones level? For cleanflight I mean - as I noticed that my drone dips forward when taking off with no input on pitch. There's an option to re-calibrate a new baseline for the drones level (I've tried placing the battery closer to the center - helped, but it still does this) though I haven't touched this feature in cleanflight.

Also, doesn't the Devo 10 have 2km range? I've read online that the Devo 7 has a very short distance as compared to the better TX's. If that's not the case, other than having more customization options, and more switches - is there any other reason to get a better TX? e.g. the Devo 10 for instance?

Thanks in advance,

Cheers!

Dave

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +411 / 13
    You will never get a stable hover on these drones as they don't have GPS.

You can fiddle with the trim (On the TX only) but the first step is to get the CG correct with the battery location. Never use cleanflight to trim.

Also remember that when taking off you are in ground effect and that will cause drift. If you trim, trim it after you are up 10 Metres.

There is so much misinformation in Forums and on youtube.

The Devo radios all use exactly the same TX chip and have the same power output and it is adjustable in the radio menus.

Radios supplied to CE countries . I.e. Europe have a lower power output than the rest of the world.

You can tell if you use the system menu and identify the FW in the radio. If it has a B suffix it is CE low power, if A its FCC high power.

Where people get confused is when the Devo 7 was released is was released with CP and FP helicopters the Receivers were short range. Since then all receivers are long range.

Also the some of the new receivers are telemetry enabled.

You can tell a long range RX and a Short Range RX by the length of the cable and if it has 2 antenna.

When the Devo 10 was released it was released with teh 10 channel long range RX. That is why people get confused. The internet is full of facts that are no longer facts as times have changed.

Now all the Devo RXs work with all the Devo TXs. So range is a factor of the RX not the TX. e.g. You can use a 10 channel Rx1002 and get 2klm range with a devo 7.

The reasons you get a "better" walkera radio is for the functionality of the radio i.e. text or graphic programming. Functionality and the number of switches. (You can never have enough) and if it has an imbedded FPV screen like the F4, F7, F12 and F12E.

My favourites are the Devo 12S and the Devo F12.

Cheers Brian