Connecting qr x800 to external software

Discussion in 'Walkera QR X800' started by Chewbacca, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Chewbacca

Chewbacca New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I am struggling with connecting my drone to my mobile phone, tablet and computer. I have installed the 'Droid planner' and 'Droid planner 2' on my samsung galaxy SIII phone and on my Galaxy Note Pro. Using a USB cable with an OTG-converter.

Droidplanner - When I start the app everything seems to be alright, and when I tap on 'Connect' I get a voice saying 'Connected'. I then go to 'Flight Data/Parameters' and tap on 'Refresh' to download the parameters. I get a progress bar and the text 'Downloading...' but nothing else is happening.

Droidplanner 2 - Basically same as above, I get a connection but when I try to download parameters I get an error message "MAVlink error: No device found"

The two above problems are identical on both my mobil phone and tablet.

I have also installed the program 'Mission Planner', but get the same error with the message "MAVlink error: No device found".

Have anyone else tried this with success?

2. Darkone7

Darkone7 New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0
    I had that problem, until I ran an firmware update. If your receiver is a rx704 then you will use the 1.1 version. If you have a rx706 then you use the 1.2 version. After the update, I was able to connect to droid planner on my tablet and mission planner on my PC. Use this link : http://www.iuasinc.com/content/x800-firmware-manual.zip

3. Chewbacca

Chewbacca New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    I ran the SerialAngel, and it said that I already have the ver. 1.2 installed. Still cannot connect. Does anyone have any idea?

4. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +437 / 14
    What makes you think that either Mission Planner or Droid Planner is compatible with your model?

They are not.

If you want to do mission planning etc then you need to use the BT Ground stations system supplied by Walkera and the Walkera GCS app.

Cheers

5. Chewbacca

Chewbacca New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Well, I have seen a couple of videos on Youtube and Hobby King where they show how to use Mission Planner and how to connect to it. I have also read that it should work on several forums. I have never heard that it will not work, until your post. But thanks for your information, I will check out the BT Ground Station.

Edit. The Walkera QRX800 is not compatible with the Bluetooth system, as far as I can understand but since it has a FCS800 flight controller, it should work with mission planner. I also read that Walkera disabled the MAVLink support to prevent people from messing up and bricking their copters.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  6. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +437 / 14
    There are many videos on the net that show people doing things. Unfortunately they are mostly not repeatable.

Walkera do not update Firmware for any reason other than to fix bugs. They do not update firmware to keep it in sync with tools that they do not support.

Also while it is based on open source code it is heavily modified by Walkera.

As tools like Mission Planner evolve the compatibility with the FC Firmware becomes further stretched. Also most people that show these unrepeatable videos never pull down the video when they trash their models. Or ultimately determine that their advise is faulty.

I could give you some classic examples, this one is current Cleanflight.

Walkera released the F210 Model when Cleanflight was at version 1.2.0 people have tried to adjust settings, like setting a motor arm switch with later versions of Cleanflight.

The end result of this is an immediate flip and crash on takeoff. The PID value entry changed somewhere between version 1.2.0 and the current 1.2.4 version.

What used to be a entry that had a decimal place. No longer supports decimal points so it multiplies the value by 10 when loaded onto the F210.

If you can determine the exact version of Mission Planner thats was used in the Demo you might be able to achieve similar results. But remember, most likely those people did not do a thorough test before the raced to publish on YouTube.

Its your model so if you feel confident go ahead. But I would recommend that you ensure you have the firmware and settings of your machine as it stands now so you can recover it if things go awry.

Cheers