Building a Walkera QR-X350 Premium

Discussion in 'Walkera QRX350/QRX 350 Pro/QRX 350 Premium' started by dankas, Sep 17, 2015.

1. dankas

dankas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Dear Walkera Fans,

I am building up a Walkera QR-X350 Premium by collecting Parts purchased separately.
    Can anybody share the picture of your Walkera QR-X350 Premium, specially in USB connection / GPS connection / Fisheye camera with FPV mushroom antena?

You might have a questions why not buy the complete RTF sets? The answers is " I want to have experienced to build it while at the same time reducing import cost" ;-)

Great thanks for walkera fans support!

Item Purchased so far :
    - Transmitter Devo F12E
    - Body Kits + Motor Cover + Heat Guard
    - Low Skid landing with Carbon + Sponge
    - Power Board
    - GPS Module + Casing
    - Red + Blue brushless controller
    - Propellers

Upcoming Planned purchased
    - Flight Controller
    - BTR Receiver
    - BT Ground Station
    - CC & CCW Motors
    - Fisheye Camera Kit (wonder if I could replace with a non fisheye camera)

So all Walkera Premium fans...lets the journey begin...will keep posting picture progress...

2. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    I like your idea, but suspect you will still end up paying more than a full model with import duties due to the premium cost of spares.

The Fisheye Camera front module has a connector that plugs directly into the mainboard. It is auto aligned so its easy to insert and remove the Camera front with the non camera front.

3. dankas

dankas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Yes, I agree with you on the spare cost is higher, bjr981s.

The idea of from camera is a fisheye seems not so good, was wondering if any has the experience on modifying the lens to be a non-fisheye.
    I can see the plugs connector is 5 pins, with the following description GND/5V/SD_K/BT-RX/BT-TX ...so I believe first two pin is for power.
    BT- stands for Bluetooth TX/RX, It could be use for follow me features...what is the SD_K use for? write to SD card?

Last edited: Sep 22, 2015
  4. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    Can you take some pictures of the connectors. My Premium is in Storage at the moment while I Fly my Tali and build my Scout X8.

5. dankas

dankas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Sure, Here we are...

Your Premium in the storage ? how was the experience flying it?

First, the Panel LED Board, I believe there are suppose to be some body fixing kits attached to the area with circles and propellers side

SignalLED2.jpg

Second, Power board with Brushless speed controllers (Blue - Front / Red - Back) - Wonder what is the switch for ? (green arrow)
    Switch2.jpg

That is so far I can do, ordering the rest of the part online which provide lesser price than IUAS..;-)

6. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    Thanks,

The 5 pin plug is interesting. I don't think the BT prefix is for Bluetooth. The fisheye camera picks up the OSD data from the flight controller so I would suspect that this is what these additional pins are for. The Fisheye has its own Tx so in theory it only needs Power and Ground. You can also record as it has a micro SD card, so it would need a pin to turn the camera Off and On.

The rings you have drawn are locator holes for the metal body attachment fixing blocks. Its a separate part for you to buy.

Walkera-QR-X350-Premium-RC-Quadcopter-Spare-Part-Body-Fixing-Block-p-976996.html

I have no idea what the switch is for???

The Premium is a great Quad to fly it is very heavy due to the size of the battery and is powerful due to the battery 8S it has a small aerodynamic footprint so is fast and ignores the wind.

The OSD is good, much better than the default sensor display you get on the F12E. Similar to the Runner 250 but you get the GPS data as well like the new Runner advance. Means you also get the OSD on Goggles.

I have only run mine around with the short legs and the fisheye camera. Pretty easy to fly indoors in manual. I haven't tried the iLook+ and Gimbal yet.

Some things to note. Particularly as you won't have a manual.

Make sure you complete the calibration process. (Its not just for the compass but also the IMU) When I say complete I mean you have a limited time to execute. If the flashing lights stop flashing prior to you doing all the gyrations and placing back on the ground then do it again as its only partially calibrated.

Do not attempt an Auto takeoff or takeoff in GPS mode until you have flown at least 5 batteries worth in manual. Ensure you break up the first five battery flights into 10 minute intervals. Land and do a disarm motors each time. The Flight controller / IMU self learns and calibrates over the first few flights after a compass calibration it stores the updated settings on the motor disarm command.

I did not calibrate correctly for my first GPS flight. I calibrated indoors and flew the first battery in manual mode.

I calibrated again for the second battery outdoors but did not complete the calibration successfully. I took off and flew for about 2 minutes in manual then landed and tried to takeoff in GPS mode.

It immediately started to rotate on its axis and rolled to the left. It nearly took my Face Off. It was a struggle to fly. Like a 3 Axis CP heli that was out of trim. It was quite windy though.

So just because it flys OK in manual does not mean it will fly OK in GPS mode until it is calibrated properly and the AP trained with a couple of batteries worth of flights. My 2c worth.

My Tali was the same and needed a lot of calibration flights. The Scout arrives tomorrow, the 8X kit is already here. I expect it to be a powerful monster.

I really do like your idea of building a premium from parts. I hope that all the parts are available. I tried this with a Walker V450BD5 Airwolf and there is at least 1 part that was never listed as a spare. (Tail Mounting Boom Holder.)

Its a great idea if you don't want all the other bits that they ship in RTF kits. I have a cupboard full of radios and chargers.

Keep us up to date as you build. With lots of Pics.

Cheers

• Like Like x 1
  7. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    Out of interest I did a shopping cart just to see what the premium is for buying as parts.

Originally iUASinc was selling the full kit for $999 USD. Wish I had bought 2 at the time now. Now they are $1399 USD

To buy the parts from BangGood cheapest I can find with Free shipping.

The basic Quad comes in at $988 USD only $11 cheaper than the full kit was selling for. (includes fisheye at $152)

To match the kit in parts Adding the F12E, Ground Station, iLook Plus and Gimbal it comes out at $1831 USD ouch.

• Like Like x 1
  8. dankas

dankas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    well, I don't think it will reach 1800+ in total.
    So far my total spend around 650+ includes the battery charger, if my calculation is correct...it might reach 1400+ but not exceeding 1499.

Been trying to search the quick start pdf download, but only have DevoF12 & GCS manual, no lucks from uncle google so far. ;-)

Brushless motors, I assume all are the same type for CCW / CW,
    the only difference is the soldering cable swap at brushless controller between blue and black cable from the motors.

Glad on your sharing for the experience, I will take it as my lesson learnt too.

do me a favor buddy, need to borrow your eyes on looking at your Premium RTF unit, do all 4 motors has the same type
    WK-WS-34-002A ?

9. bjr981s

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +405 / 13
    The motors are different for CW / CCW you can make them change direction by swapping an esc lead, but that is not the problem.

The props are: They are self tightening and have to match the threads on the outrunner.

The CCW and CW is not for motor direction but for thread direction on the outrunner.

Also there is no separate Quick Start Guide. The quick start procedures are included in the other 2 manuals.

Also only paper copies of the manuals included in the kit it ships with just the F12E generic user manual.

Cheers

10. dankas

dankas New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Btw....need to clarify some terms

OSD - On Screen Display ? meaning detecting image and process to follow? If two person wearing the same outfit then it cannot tell the different which one to follow?

IMU stands for ? and how do we make sure when the GPS calibrate well ? by map comparison in GCS tablet?
    In additional I can see in the market there are two types of BTR....CE & FCC, does it really need to match Android or IOS groundstation unit?

I like the idea of "Lily" drone which using a wrist remote to follow on...definitely very exact by measuring the range between remote and the drone.