Bluetooth won't complete bind with the Scout.

Discussion in 'Walkera GCS - Bluetooth Ground Station' started by chase, Apr 22, 2016.

1. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hi,

The Bluetooth I have is the BT-2401 B for ground... etc.

Follow the video on how to bind etc.

All leds on the BT are flashing that it's communicating with the Air side and FC and receiving from the GCS tablet.

GCS says it's connected.

Go into stable mode... wait 40 seconds... wait 5 minutes.. doesn't matter how long I wait, or what sequence I turn on the Scout, BT or how fast I connect the GCS app...
    the red light on the battery never stops rapid flashing red. I'm not getting the slow flashing red that shows the bind is completing and stop when it finishes binding as the video and manual state it should.

,I can press arm it says it's armed. But of course nothing responds to the controls of the GCS.

I've tried the WK-GCS app on Google Play.
    I've tried the one from Walkera. V 1.03 and the one on v1.05 in the tablet just in case.

Both the BT units were updated... showed successful.

I could use some help with this...

tia,
    - chase -

Last edited: Apr 22, 2016
  2. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Update:
    To help you guys help me and others in solving this issue...

I found this video which shows almost exactly the same issue with a Tali that I'm having with my Scout X4. The exception being I'm getting a slow blue flashing led on the BT Ground side. His stays solid blue. Other than that it's exactly what I'm experiencing.

Additionally I've attempted to bind via both Samsung and Levono mobile devices - no change in status.

Admin - You might want to move this thread to the Walkera General Help section as it seems to be an issue effecting not just the Scout X4 but the Tali H500 the 350 and other Walkera birds that use the BT modules with GCS

3. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
    I will ask for a new Forum to be created for Ground Station. It would get lost in general help.

4. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    UPDATE 2:

Having opened up the Scout so I could see what the BT Air side led status was.

All communicate as indicated by the led status lights, except the GCS to the BT unit.

I have good led flashes all round.
    Anyone discovered a solution to this type issue?

- chase -

Addendum to this update:

I spoke to Walkera US. He did state and recommend taking the gcs tablet outside to make sure the tablet has a good gps lock.

Apparently without a gps lock this also occurs. I had gps lock so he's unsure what he issue may be or the resolve.

He did ask to see the above video which demonstrates the issue. He's suppose to get back to me on it. Hopefully with a solution if no one else beats him to it.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
  5. bjr981s

bjr981s Moderator Staff Member

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +266 / 9
  6. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Well he's at least got it to bind and can use the follow feature and upload way points. With his smartphone.

I can't get to complete the bind period. On tablet or smart phone.

My bird should have been 100% before now. This issue combined with inconsistencies and just on and on this isn't quite so, or this should be doing that but it's not...

I get why people get frustrated, discouraged and throw their hands up.

And if this your first real bird(quad)+tx as it is mine... combined with all the issues you hear of other lines of birds. It's bad for RC in general as far as RTF's are concerned.

I like the look of the Scout... But I'm sick of the constant issues popping up. And it's sad, because from what I see, Walkera has the edge on all others, their major down fall at this point is their software. Coupled with some circuitry issues, which they've made a point to try and correct.

They have structure over Yuneec, who's birds are literally breaking up. They have style over DJI with the exception to the Inspire which even there they copied/have something similar. Which I'm not that in awe of the Inspire. The newer 350 limited edition/premium smokes it I think. The Phantom is just plan fugly. IRobics bird again has major known issues including structural.
    They have price point for parts that beat the competition. Especially DJI.

My Scout is over a year old, the style still holds. Structurally she's a sound as the day she was made.

But and it's a major but...

I can't seem to get it to 100%.
    There's no excuse for this from any of the manufactures.

I don't mind fixing this or that, or doing maintenance... But not constantly working on something just to find something else is out of wack or not just so.

And I don't care who makes it.

I don't know... I'm 100% discouraged and have spent a lot more money than I feel necessary and still don't have one bird that's 100%.

Even my little Blade/Spectrum FPV is not 100% due to product defect by way of design which caused a failure. And what's crazy, it's an obvious design flaw. You see it immediately... a simple piece of shrink tube would correct the flaw and prevent failure. But that had to be done pre assembly. It can't be done post assembly or would have taken care of it... And sure enough, it failed right at that point. $100 micro bird, down for the want of .02 cents worth of shrink tubing. Stupid... just plain stupid.

I can build a much better product myself, with out all the headache, just as others have done. And if this continues with the Scout for me, that's exactly what I'm going to do. And wash my hands of all rtf's in the future.

Just saying... They either get their act together, or I'm done with all of them.

- chase -

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  7. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Update:

I attempted to reinstall via the Tablet/GCS the firmware updates for both the Ground and the Air BT-2401 units.

Ground side updated fine. So there's communication there.

Air side wouldn't update.

So that narrows it down to between the Air and Ground units.

The parameter files load, so that narrows it down to the uplink side between the BT units.

Both units were updated once before via hardline and completed successfully.

So... they work...

Once I get the proper cable I'll update the Air side again manually... see if that cures the issue.

8. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    I fixed this issue for those stumbling upon this post.

I did so by using the UP02 upgrade tool and software.

I'm hosting the Software and x64 bit drivers for it here:

Scout X4 2016 page

Upgrade the Ground side first,
    Upgrade the Air side second FROM THE GROUND SIDE while connected to the UP02 tool.

You must have a map showing and gps located or it won't work.

It may take a couple times turning everything in and off after you update the BT Air and Ground, but it should complete connecting.

Once tested and working, reconnect your camera/gimbal and test again.

The BT will connect faster after a few times connecting and arming. Mine does anyway.

Anyway, my Scout is 100% now including the GCS.
    The point of this post. B-)

- chase -

9. FLAG

FLAG New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0
    Hi,
    I bought a walkera scout 5 days ago and I have the same issues that you faced, and I am novice with drones, I am learning, I bought because I need get some aerial shoots. Chase, where did you buy UP02 upgrade tool? I have been looking in the ebay but I am not sure which one buy, because I don't see compatibility with the scout x4. Could you please post a link.
    Thank on advance FLAG

10. chase

chase Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0
    Hey Flag,

The UP-02 is usually sold as a Devo 7 TX upgrade tool.

However, there's two parts to it for the Scout. Walkera has them packaged together, and separately. You want to look for a seller that gives you both, either in the single blister pack, or in the two. But doesn't try to sell you them individually.

Once you have them, the BT firmware upgrade is a breeze.

[​IMG]

The one shown above at HobbyKing, you can get them most anywhere.

- chase -